• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help with Bloody Stool

My kid is 15, diagnosed with Crohn's in April. He has had bloody stools since last Christmas. Almost every time he goes, whether it's diarrhea or formed. He's currently on Remicadee and doing well, aside from the blood. His labs have been normal. The doc gave us a script for hydrocortisone cream, but my kid doesn't like using it because he says it makes him itchy. I should add, it's been bad enough lately that the water in the toilet is pretty red, which freaks him out!! It is on the stool itself and on the TP when he wipes. When he had his scopes in April, the doc said there were 3 pretty good sized fissures. I'm guessing they just haven't healed. Any suggestions about this bleeding would be greatly appreciated.

Maya142

Staff member
My kiddo was given hydrocortisone suppositories for her fissures. She hated them but they stopped the bleeding pretty quickly - within a week. In her case, the fissures hurt, so that was incentive enough to get her to use the suppositories (though I'll admit, there were some arguments about using them). Once her fissures healed, no more pain and bleeding.

We have also done hydrocortisone enemas. Those worked too.

Can you have his GI talk to him about using either the cream or suppositories? Explain that it's important to stop the bleeding? that usually works for my daughter. Sometimes teenagers do better when they hear it from someone other than mom.

How's his hemoglobin?

My kiddo was given hydrocortisone suppositories for her fissures. She hated them but they stopped the bleeding pretty quickly - within a week. In her case, the fissures hurt, so that was incentive enough to get her to use the suppositories (though I'll admit, there were some arguments about using them). Once her fissures healed, no more pain and bleeding.

We have also done hydrocortisone enemas. Those worked too.

Can you have his GI talk to him about using either the cream or suppositories? Explain that it's important to stop the bleeding? that usually works for my daughter. Sometimes teenagers do better when they hear it from someone other than mom.

How's his hemoglobin?
Hemoglobin is normal at last check. I will have to push harder on the hydrocortisone. His teenager know-it-all attitude certainly complicates things!!

Maya142

Staff member
Yes, if he's not using cream, I really doubt he will agree to suppositories! I would have his GI talk to him - make him understand how important it is for the fissures to heal. I would also ask his GI if he thinks the fissures are the problem or if the blood is coming from higher up.

Another option might be to up his Remicade or add something like MTX, but our GI said localized treatment was safest and best for fissures (in my daughter's case anyway). She also said a cream wouldn't be enough to heal them - my daughter really did NOT want to have anything to do with suppositories. But they really did work.