• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iv IG infusions/ cellcept/ prograf

I have literally been on every single crohns med and was just wondering if anyone has tried any of the above treatments? My GI dr said these are the next options.

I cannot understand why more people don't know about IVIG treatment for Crohn's given the success record. So you know if your insurance will cover the cost?

Maya142

Staff member
I'll tag my little penguin since she knows about IVIG.

There have been a few kids of on the Parents forum who have been on Prograf (tacromilus) and have done well with it. It's typically used for the short-term to get ready for surgery - it's not often used as a long-term option because it can damage the kidneys.

my little penguin

Staff member
The plan was for ds to try IVIG
It does have success with Crohns
But could not get insurance approval
The infusion takes 8-10 hours to complete once every 4 weeks
It's plasmafrom close to 10,000 donors
Different brands "names" are the variable amount of plasma
How much igM and IgA is found in it
And whether the additives are glucose based or other based

Good luck hope something works

Ds was switched to Stelara instead

I'll tag my little penguin since she knows about IVIG.

There have been a few kids of on the Parents forum who have been on Prograf (tacromilus) and have done well with it. It's typically used for the short-term to get ready for surgery - it's not often used as a long-term option because it can damage the kidneys.

Oh ok, didn't realize that.

The plan was for ds to try IVIG
It does have success with Crohns
But could not get insurance approval
The infusion takes 8-10 hours to complete once every 4 weeks
It's plasmafrom close to 10,000 donors
Different brands "names" are the variable amount of plasma
How much igM and IgA is found in it
And whether the additives are glucose based or other based

Good luck hope something works

Ds was switched to Stelara instead
Omg 8-10 hours? Every month? That's insane! I've been on Stelera for almost a year now and the crohns spread everywhere so got to try something new. Hopefully it works for you guys! Just be aware it makes you extremely tired for the first few days and a little foggy headed and sometimes even gives you a headache. Good luck!