• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Juicing?

Anyone have a juicer?

I really like the idea of growing some of my own food and hope to have a nice garden this summer - but I'm on a low-fiber no raw veg/no raw fruit /very few cooked veg diet!! So unless my potato and carrot crop turn out well, I won't be able to enjoy my efforts.

I also met with a nutritionist, which was good, but bad. She said for whole grains like porridge/oatmeal - to eat the more processed version, and to eat fruit cups/canned fruit.... but then in another breath told me to avoid processed foods. I've put it together to mean - eat non-processed meats, but processed everything else, take multivitamins and drink juice!

So... I'm thinking I could make my own juice! Does anyone know if you can set up your juicer to remove pulp?

I really want to get healthy now that I know my unhealthy low-fiber diet is long-term.

I have a juicer at home that removes the pulp. It takes away the fiber and so we get the benefits of the vitamins without the suffering. My Dad swears by juicing that it helps him tremendously. I've been a bit chicken because I associate vegetables with pain, but it's definitely worth a try.

I tried juicing a while back. Unfortunately even with straining the juice, to remove all the pulp, it was giving me stomach pains. Though I do plan on trying it again soon. But maybe before you spend a lot of money, you should buy a cheap juicer or see if you could borrow one to try?

I too strained my juice through a very fine nylon cloth until there was no visible pulp and still experienced pain. I agree with Rebecca to try a juicer first. It really does give you energy if you can tolerate it. There are a couple of recent threads on juicing if you want to search for them.

I too strained my juice through a very fine nylon cloth until there was no visible pulp and still experienced pain. I agree with Rebecca to try a juicer first. It really does give you energy if you can tolerate it. There are a couple of recent threads on juicing if you want to search for them.
Perfect! I didn't realize it had already been discussed.

That's too bad that even pulp-less juice causes issues.

I didn't want to put you off entirely, just saying you might want to try it before spending a lot of money. Others on here have had very good results. I have a theory that it might depend on where your disease is as to whether you can tolerate juices or not, in fact I posted a poll on it earlier.

I will probably still try it, but it's good to have this info from you - my stricture is in the terminal ileum also.

I had some cramping and D after my first few times of juicing, but my body got used to it after a while. After being told by my doctors that I should just stay away from fruits/veggies if they're causing me problems, it probably came as a shock to my system considering the quantity I was putting into it.

Keep in mind, the docs didn't want me eating fruits/veggies due to some scar tissue I have in my ileum (like you, tummygirl), so the leafy, fibrous stuff would pose an issue just trying to pass through. But if you take all of that out of the food and are just left with the juice, it's a match made in heaven for us Crohnies.

I had some cramping and D after my first few times of juicing, but my body got used to it after a while.
That's interesting. I wonder if I'd have gotten used to it. I was too frightened of ending up in the ER to try continuing on.

That's too bad that even pulp-less juice causes issues.
Pulp-less juice doesn’t cause me problems.

Then again, I do have an excellent juicer. It is the same one as jecoll has. I think an excellent juicer makes all the difference.

Juicing is the only thing I can tolerate in a flare. And it has really helped to improve my UC overall.

It is the best way I have found to get a large number of vitamins inside me, as I was pretty deficient and malnourished before I started juicing.

For example: broccoli is exceptionally good for you. It is a good source of vitamins A, C & K, and it can help protect you from certain cancers. But it is so harshly fibrous that I can’t eat it at all. Last time I tried to eat it, it gave me terrible pain. Yet every day I have a broccoli juice with absolutely no problems.

Do you know someone else who may be interested in juicing? It is a very healthy habit enjoyed by many people. Perhaps a relation or neighbour would be happy to go in half price with you, so you can purchase a really good non-centrifugal juicer.

Obviously two or three people buying a $350.00 juicer between them, is much better for cash flow. The only problem then is arguing over whose house it will reside in :D

I paid my juicer off by lay-away / lay-by over a few months. You can also do things like Hire Purchase, or at least in the UK you can.

I have a theory that it might depend on where your disease is as to whether you can tolerate juices or not, in fact I posted a poll on it earlier.
When I started juicing I was classed as a severe chronic case. My doctor was suggesting drugs everyday forever, me being stuck on a drip over Christmas in hospital and possible bowel removal.

Thankfully with the help of the juicing, I have improved in leaps and bounds since then.

I have been able to tolerate around a litre / pint of juice a day since day 1 of juicing. Sometimes I will get a cramp after having something strong like beetroot juice, but it goes away after a while and I don't worry about it. And it is totally different to the horrible cramp I get after eating something like chicken.

lol..mmmm potatoe carrot juice :D ...I found that kind of funny...lol

...AND... I am also very confused by what dieticians have to say...

glad to see another Canadian here :D