• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why do they take "unnecessary" biopsies?

I have ileitis Crohn's, but at my last colonoscopy in Mayo Clinic this last May, they took a total of 4 location biopsies: ileum, ascending colon, descending colon, and sigmoid, when the only obviously inflamed site was the ileum. Report shows some microscopic in ascending, and some in ileum, nothing in the other 2....if they want to check for microscopic inflammation, why don't they do a biopsy on everybody then? Don't you think this could cause the disease to "show up" in these insulted areas, or lead to inflammation in these places that were fine??

I'm asking because I was symptom-free before, but now I notice a left-sided ache....i really don't want my Crohn's to have spread due to a procedure..that'd defeat the purpose! :(

The reason for the colonoscopy was to check how everything was since I had been symptom and med-free for about 1.5 years.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. The biopsies won't cause crohns to spread. They want to know if anything is simmering that can't be seen by the naked eye.

Its standard procedure.

Hi. The biopsies won't cause crohns to spread. They want to know if anything is simmering that can't be seen by the naked eye.

Its standard procedure.
That definitely makes sense, but it also makes sense that the tool grabs bacteria from the ileum, then goes to the colon and "implants" it there, right? lol. Or at least trigger the immune system to "wake up" there? Sorry, it's just weird that these new location symptoms happened after this colonoscopy. Then again, it could be coincedence...
also I realize bacteria always spreads via waste matter/digested food from the ileum to the rest of the colon..hm..

just a theory :)

Thank you DJW.

It's also worth remembering that the place where you feel pain does not necessarily correlate with the location of inflammation. Sometimes pain is referred to different parts of the abdomen, and sometimes abdominal pain may be a result of Crohn's yet not a direct result of the inflammation itself - for example,urgent diarrhoea can cause cramping which may occur in a different part of the intestine than the inflammation from which the diarrhoea originated.