• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Affecting body temperature?

Ok, this one if more for the gals, ladies- does your issue with bowel problems cause a swing in your body temperture? I'm going from freezing to hot/visa versa. would love a little input.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
It could be symptoms, and it also could be due to hormone fluctuations....

When I run a low grade temp I tend to have night sweats, which are actually a cold sweat...nasty. Other times I just get cold even when everyone else is warm - and then trying to warm up is a nightmare.....

Fairly common for CD to play with thermoregulation so this isn't unusual for either gender. (Suffer from it myself)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
When I flare I get cold sweats or just overall fevers as a symptom. Definitely not the only one that has this happen, it's a common symptom of a flare. Your body is trying to attack whatever it perceives as a foreign invader in your body.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Fairly common for CD to play with thermoregulation so this isn't unusual for either gender. (Suffer from it myself)
How does CD effect thermoregulation?

Curious because my son has complained that, at times, feels very cold when it's not that cold outside and hot when it's not extremely hot outside either. (He's not flaring.) No other symptoms/indications relating to thyroid or hypothalamus issues and doesn't seem to be related to any med as he says he felt this sensitivity to temperature even before starting remicade.

theOcean

Curious because my son has complained that, at times, feels very cold when it's not that cold outside and hot when it's not extremely hot outside either. (He's not flaring.) No other symptoms/indications relating to thyroid or hypothalamus issues and doesn't seem to be related to any med as he says he felt this sensitivity to temperature even before starting remicade.
That's something I've always experienced. Basically I think we're just very sensitive to temperature, and have a hard time regulating like most people do. I sometimes feel like I'm absolutely freezing and my SO tells me that no, I'm boiling hot. It's as though I have no concept of my own body temperature.

One of the components of the immune system is inducing fever when you're sick because it helps leukocytes get out to problem areas and lets T-cells reproduce faster. Just like CC said, your body is simply turning on a major part of the immune system for inappropriate reasons.

PsychoJane

Quickly like this, one thing I can say about crohn and temperature is that having iron deficiency can result in having issues with thermoregulation. I'm pretty sure there are an array of other things associated with our condition and specific deficiencies that can enhance these aswell.

Tesscorm

Staff member
I've thought along the same lines, PsychoJane... after researching what I could on it, I've come to think that it probably is related to some minor deficiencies, iron or otherwise - minor in that it may not be causing any other issues but just enough to throw the body off kilter a bit. :)

Not a ladies only issue as I can tell you I am a man and I get low grade fever followed by chills almost every bm. I sweat as if I am having a glycemic reaction while in bathroom. After a bm I'm exhausted and always need to rest.
Jon

It could also be the meds your on. I noticed some of the others who replied in agreement are on Prednisone...one of it's side effects is sweating/change in body temperature. I'm on Prednisone and I'll be drenched in sweat just from sitting around and doing nothing.

I have always run hot. I sweat more at night and cant stay under the covers for every long. During the day I have to fan myself if I feel to hot.