• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gas & bloating

gas & bloating

I am gasy and bloated all the time. It doesnt seem to matter what I eat. I have taken gas x and it doesnt work.

Does anyone else have this issue? Have you found anything that helps?

Yeah i suffered from gas but it never was a major issue when i started taking probiotics it made it a whole lot worse and its horrible because i seem to need to pass wind and the most inappropriate times..I dont reall know what to do maybe i shuld metion it to my gastro doc cause it is a big issue ...what do u thnk?

activated charcoal (warning makes your poop funny colors) but it does help. it's sold in pink capsules. helps with gas not necessarily bloating

I do not take probiotics so that isnt the cause for me. I think my main issue is bloating b/c I do not have to pass gass a lot. I will be fine in the morning but by the end of the day my clothes are tight and uncomfortable. Plus I look pregnant when I am bloated

I have the same problem (and incidentally found it to be worse with probiotics) and haven't as yet found a solution. I had full on diarrhoea for months on end and during this time the bloating actually went away....d has stopped now but bloating is back worse than ever, I think I actually preferred the d to the bloating to be honest! I'm the same feel ok in the morning but am so tight and uncomfortable in the evening it's actually quite debilitating I just want to lie down....i measured myself in the morning and at the end of the day last week and there was a full 4 cms difference :ywow:

I desperately try to fart but it just wont come out.....ahhh the days where I long for nothing more than a good fart, it's the simple pleasures:D

Bubble baths and soup... the heat seems to loosen up the tension! Or lying on my left side with my knees up toward my tummy... that works too :)

This is quite common for me. Just find a quiet corner and fart ;)
Me too :lol: As long as it is just a fart :rof:

Hey Becky,

Regards the bloating. I am suffering the same at the moment especially after meals so interested as well. Are you maybe having a slight flare up? I think I might and I'm awaiting results on blood tests and date for a CT scan.

Sandy

Shay is right about lying on your left side. When I was a kid (back in the '70's), I had an RN tell me the same thing, and it does work! If I remember correctly, she also told me that peppermint candy helps.:hippy:

Sandy- I jsut went to Dr this week and he said my blood work looks great so I do not think I am flaring.

Soretum- I need to measure mine one day and see!

I think mine is more bloating than gas because I do not have to fart!

I will have to find time to take baths more often. Hard with 2 wild boys!

It is sooooo good to know people have the same problem as me!

It's so un lady like but i'm in so much pain and farting eases it! Not easy in a work place. Thank goodness I'm single at the moment!!

I find peppermint capsules help the pain but not necessarily the farting! :ysmile:

Oh I am so with you baby! I have been on Pred for a week now and still my tum is HUGE and the GAS at night is so bad it keeps me awake. I swear I look like I'm 9 months pregnant.... I'm on probiotics etc and I just don't know what to do - when I found your post just then I nearly wept.... "I am not alone"!!! Nothing seems to work for me. Peppermint caps, "De-Gas" tablets - NOTHING! Maybe I should skip the probiotics.... I can't see any relation to what I eat either. It is really getting me down and there is so few items of my clothing I can wear these days.....

Look up "dyspepsia" and Crohn's on the internet. The bloating, gas , and feeling full is a common symptom of not just Crohn's, but other bowel diseases. Be assured, you are not alone.

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
Well. I must admit I am a sort of expert on gas :)
The reason for that farting is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_bowel_bacterial_overgrowth_syndrome

And usually a low dose of antibiotics helps, killing the extra bacteria.
The ones I've used more are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifaximin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronidazole known as Flagyl.

You can't take them every day since bacterias get used to it. You have to skip some days and switch bettwen them.

You can ask your doctor about this to see if it suits to your case.

I'll echo what braveheart says. I suffered with the same problem, it got really bad so I mentioned it to the doc who organised a hydrogen breath test. Test came back positive showing an overgrowth of bacteria.

Apparently it can happen in bowel surgery patients if that applies to you.

She gave me a 2 week course of CIPROFLOXACIN antibiotic which should calm it down. 2 days in so yet to see.

JK

And usually a low dose of antibiotics helps, killing the extra bacteria.
The ones I've used more are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifaximin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronidazole known as Flagyl.
Thanks Darl! Further to my post above re gas - finally got into my GI and he gave me a script for Flagyl. I really hope it helps! I am desperate! I have been on FODMAPS diet for 2 weeks now and the bloating is just as bad. Before I could at least fart (ahh yes Soretum, I agree, the simple pleasures!). Now nothing just a basketball for a tum and still not sleeping.

I'll echo what braveheart says. I suffered with the same problem, it got really bad so I mentioned it to the doc who organised a hydrogen breath test. Test came back positive showing an overgrowth of bacteria.

Apparently it can happen in bowel surgery patients if that applies to you.

She gave me a 2 week course of CIPROFLOXACIN antibiotic which should calm it down. 2 days in so yet to see.

JK
Yeah, I had my stool checked and I was told I have a lot of bad bacteria in it...hopefully they give me something like antibiotics.