• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can anything be done to stop hair loss?

:confused2:So Grace's hair is coming out.
It's been about a month-and-a-half now and you can start to see it on the top of her head where her part is getting wider and wider.
Grace has hair that's almost down to her bottom, she's waiting for the magic to come like Rapunzel. LOL
:( I don't think that's going to happen.

When we talked to the rheumatologist (PA) on Friday, she said that she wanted to test Gracie's labs for more stuff like, vitamin deficiencies, thyroid problems and such.
She also brought up a special brand of shampoo that you buy over the counter that supposed to help you keep your hair.

Any tips that you have tried or heard of that could help?

Maya142

Staff member
We added Biotin when M had a lot of hair loss (recommended by her rheumatologist). Her hair had become noticeably thinner.

I'm not sure if that worked because at the same time, we took her off the medication that was causing the hair loss (Arava, used for JIA) and put her on Imuran. She still has thinner hair, but is not losing a lot.

Can she switch off Aza to 6-mp or mtx ???
Is there psoarsis ???or other sores ???
She's already been on Methotrexate but I could always ask if she could go back on it or 6mp. I don't think she's ever done 6mp.
No sores anywhere on her body that I know of. It does seem we might be having a flare-up of bowel and Joint issues again. Will have to give a little more time and see what happens.

We added Biotin when M had a lot of hair loss (recommended by her rheumatologist). Her hair had become noticeably thinner.

I'm not sure if that worked because at the same time, we took her off the medication that was causing the hair loss (Arava, used for JIA) and put her on Imuran. She still has thinner hair, but is not losing a lot.
That was the name, Biotin.
Was it over the counter?

Trysha

Staff member
I have taken biotin 2500 mg daily and my hair grew back very gradually 4-6 months later.
So it worked for me......although what I read was for 5000mg daily...did not want to risk taken so much even though it's water soluble and excess is discharged by the body through urine.
I also use a biotin shampoo called Jason...there are other brands containing biotin.
Trysha

Maya142

Staff member
Biotin is OTC. M took an adult dose (since she's 19) but for a kid Grace's age, I'd check with her rheumatologist to see how much to give her.

Between that and taking her off Arava, her hair looks better, though it's still not back to normal (8 months later).

You could try 6MP but she might react the same way since it is so similar to Imuran :(.