Share Facebook

04-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #121
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
Very cool! What an awesome experience for your kids!
Osteoporosis, Scoliosis, EDS, Asthma, Lymphedema, Epilepsy, Hla B-27 positive, gluten intolerant, thrombophlebitis, c.diff, depression, anxiety postural tachycardia/POTS and multiple food allergies.
04-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #122
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think so too, I can see they are going to struggle when they finally have to return home for university but I hope in they'll take with them fantastic memories of our travels and the friends they've made and that in the long term these will be experiences that they benefit from.
04-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #123
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
They will be much better for it in the long-run. But I agree, that they'll struggle trying to fit in - they won't be able to relate to everything... Our kids were sheltered for about 4.5 years on a missionary base in Colorado where there weren't many other kids. They really struggled when they moved here, my oldest two especially, trying to assimilate back to the normal American culture. I guess we've deviated from topic!
04-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #124
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We definitely have, shocking. Carolin I'm going to blame you for that detor (despite the fact that I contributed heavily). Now you need to come with some pearls of wisdom on the topic as penance
04-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #125
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
I don't have any pearls right now as my daughter can't eat anything except broth and sweet potatoes so far! (crying alligator tears! I'm so bad!)
04-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #126
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Damn guess I'll have to try to come up with something on topic.

Liam needs to gain weight, his BMI Percentile 4 (BMI 14.3) although not shocking compared to many kids here. It has been dropping all year and I really don't want to see it go any lower, so have decided it's time to take action & that I'll start adding Ensure to his diet.

I picked up a tin of the powdered Ensure, they had the ready mix too but that had Carrageenan in it which I've read worrying things about on the forum.

My usual smoothy recipe is:
1/2 cup fruit juice (low acid fruits)
1/2 cup yoghurt
1 bannana
1 cup frozen fruit.

I found if I replace the yoghurt & the banana with 1 serve worth of the Ensure powder I get a smoothy with a similar texture.

This afternoons smoothy was:
56g Ensure powder (1 serve)
1/2 cup Mango/Banana/Apple Juice
1 cup frozen Boysenberries

With the Ensure I'm using Mango/Banana/Apple Juice & Strawberry/Banana/Apple Juice as my bases as they have nice strong flavors which means the Ensure after taste is somewhat hidden. (Also because there GERD friendly and Liam has an acid reflux issue.)
04-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #127
Catherine

My Support Groups:
That's Interesting because there is no carrageenan in my ensure powder.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
04-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #128
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Nor in mine but it's in the premixed Ensure (the ready to drink ones) which was why I bought the powder.

Last edited by Maree.; 04-08-2013 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Clarification of wording
04-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #129
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
I never knew they made a powder!!! Is it sold OTC or do you have to get it from medical supply companies. I am thinking I may be slipping some into O's smoothies...although after a week of stuffing her full of food she looks like she may have gained a few...going to doc tomorrow so fingers crossed she has moved into 5th percentile!
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
04-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #130
Catherine

My Support Groups:
http://abbottnutrition.com/brands/pr.../ensure-powder
04-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #131
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's OTC here and I suspect everywhere as the label doesn't say it has to be taken under medical supervision.

I haven't mentioned to Liam that i've been adding it to is smoothies and he hasn't noticed. I can smell it but that's because I know it's there.
04-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #132
Amy2

My Support Groups:
I used to sneak veggies into my kids food all the time. Even though we raised them as vegetarians, they wanted to be bread-atarians. Especially my youngest. Before he got sick he was trying to live off pb&js, spaghetti and bean burritos.
04-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #133
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Does anyone else's child lay the flattery about how fantastic the food is really thick before leaving their meal barely touched.

Tonight Liam said "mum this is brilliant" and as soon as he said it I knew he was going to eat badly.
04-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #134
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
LMAO! That kid is smart! If he says he doesn't like it you will fight...try it...eat a little...but if he says it tastes good then doesn't eat it you will be all, "oh no, he likes it so he must be feeling poorly" and will leave him alone. Don't let him talk to my kids.

Unless he is feeling poorly Or just ate right before
04-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #135
Jmrogers4

Mine does! CIC - I found the ensure powder at Walmart.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
04-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #136
Amy2

My Support Groups:
My kids always told me exactly what they thought of my meals. Often, before they even tasted them!

One thing I learned early on was to ONLY put the salad on the table at first, when everyone is really hungry. And we have salad most nights. Another thing I did was chop up fruits and veggies for them when they were mindlessly engrossed in t.v. and low and behold, the plate would soon be empty. And giving them one plate seemed to bring out sort of a competition, like a pack of wild dogs. I remember it took them about 5 minutes to make an entire cantaloupe disappear.
02-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #137
Tamanna

Dear everyone...I did not come here for a long time, almost a year... after suffering almost a year with Crohn's disease, my dd finally has been taking her food intake seriously. Now, believe it or not, it has been weeks, she has no symptoms of Crohn's disease. Her blood report is perfect. She just stop eating all junks, and process foods, all sugary and diary products, and soft drinks. She is eating home made healthy Desi food, spices including. Lots of fruits and vegetables. And purify water. No store made drinks. She is taking black seeds oil one table spoon two times a day. Now, by the mercy of God, she has solid poop, no blood, no pain. Today she had an appointment with her dietitian . The dietitian was amazed with her diet's result. Now, for the future we are hoping for the best. If this diet works, then the conclusion is: sugar and dairy products is responsible for her flair. God knows the best
10-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #138
LHJ

Thank you for starting this thread! I can't wait to jump into these recipes!
12-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #139
TrustingNHim

My Support Groups:
Well, we are just learning what foods our son can tolerate while they try to get the right meds for him.
This is one thing I have found...with Pediasure if I add two ice cubes and two tbsp of peanut butter, he can drink it down! Otherwise he says it is "too sweet". He is up to being able to drink 2 a day and GI says a good goal is 4-5 a day - they are expensive though.
Also, made some gingerbread men yesterday and he can eat those. Did a study on ginger on webmd and found that ginger actually has anti-inflammatory medicinal properties especially in the intestines, and is good for nausea. That is when I remembered all those ginger snaps I ate when pregnant and having morning sickness. This is all I know so far....I like reading the posts here. It makes me feel like we are not alone in this
12-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #140
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Your GI can write a script and submit it to your insurance companies durable medical equipment provider with a letter of medical necessity
The pedisure can then be covered at least partially
Ds is peptamen jr covered
Good luck