• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just started Cimzia last week

I'm cautiously optimistic. The constant burning pain and fullness that I wasn't even aware of have dissipated. The urgency that caused goosebumps and a lot of running and some oops is gone. I hate to get too excited but it feels good to feel a little better. My dr's nurse only made me take one shot and when I read the Cimzia site I called back and she had me take the other shot. I'm guessing I take 2 shots for my next dose too. I find it very convenient not to have to take something three times a day that doesn't work on me anyway. This is the first thing that has even touched it.

It's great that you seem to be having some response to Cimzia. Had you tried other tnf blockers in the past like remicade or humira?

My son's response to remicade as far as symptoms was immediate. When he had to switch to humira he was asymptomatic so not as easy to tell if humira was work8ng.

Good luck with Cimzia hope it works great for you.

I tried cimzia for a year, it really helped with my joint issues but only helped with my bowel issues for a short time.. I hope you have more luck with it.. When it did help with my bowel issues it was pretty much right away.

I was diagnosed with crohn's colitis at a charity hospital in 1996 by a doctor who is now a state senator interestingly enough. At the time, I had an abscess perianal fistula. It was very painful. I thought I might die. I've been on all the usual medication since then without seeing much in the way of results. I got pregnant and had a child in 2003. My health went downhill very quickly and in the first year of my child's life, I had two surgeries. The first surgery removed a lot of my colon and small intestine and an abscess formed. I was in and out of the hospital all year. You would think that because an abscess is something that can be expected as a result of surgery, that my case would have been handled differently. They would shrink the abscess and see that it was "gone" on the CT scan and send me home. It would fill back up with infection and I'd be back at the ER. There were accusations of drug seeking that entire year. Well, guess waht? It hurt! I was in the hospital at least part of every month that year. I had endoscopes shoved down my throat with no anesthesia. I had a very painful enema that finally revealed what was wrong and where the situation was. I had drains put in, you name it. My surgeon finally found out what was wrong and did another resection with an ileostomy. I had it for two years. Never really saw a decrease in my symptoms. It's always been flaring. Didn't realize how much pain I was in until the cimzia started to work. I've been on remicade before and it did not help. In fact, during the year I was in and out of the hospital every month, they tried the remicade again and I had an anaphylaxis. I am fortunate that a family member was there at the time and was able to call the nurse because I could neither breathe, nor reach the nurse call button. As a result of all of this, I have very little faith in the medical community and it took me a long, long time to seek treatment again. I have been off the grid with regard to any kind of treatment. I've had skin problems, kidney stones, joint pain, fiery inflammation, acid butt, all the problems you experience when you get no sleep at night, work full time as a single mother and use the bathroom up to and maybe over 35 times a day. I decided it was time to try something and I'm so glad I did. Thanks for your encouragement. I looked at the cimzia board while I was contemplating getting the treatment. I'm so glad I did for now. I'm cautiously optimistic.

One thing to note ... once you are done with your loading doses. The typical prescription is for two shots once a month.

For many on Cimzia on this board (and from both my prescribing MD's experience as well) the two shots once a month schedule has you feeling great for a couple of weeks, but just doesn't last long enough to get you through to the next dose.

I was in that boat, and I switched to one shot every other week, which has been far superior. I'm not the only one with this experience.

So when your loading doses are done and you're into the maintenance phase, pay close attention to the calendar and how you feel...

Thanks, everyone. I had my second loading dose last week. Nothing like the effects of the first dose. I am having pain in my colon right now and it hasn't even been 7 days. Not nearly as effective as the first dose. I'm going to talk to my doctor about low dose naltrexone. Aargh!

Thanks, everyone. I had my second loading dose last week. Nothing like the effects of the first dose. I am having pain in my colon right now and it hasn't even been 7 days. Not nearly as effective as the first dose. I'm going to talk to my doctor about low dose naltrexone. Aargh!
Best to you.

Many, many reports on this forum of how long it can take for Cimzia to fully kick in. Don't give up too soon.