• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Red bumps, not sure what is going on??

Hey everyone,

I have been experiencing some odd skin issues in the last couple months. First it started with a pink round patch on my fore arm. At first doctor said it looked a lot like ringworm. Gave me some cream for it but it did not go away, it kind of got worse. Went to a dermatologist and he was not sure and gave me some other cream. After about 2 months, it has faded somewhat, but you can still see it, like it left an imprint of it on my arm. Anyhow, about a month ago out of the blue I got this awful itch on above my knee. I thought it was a mosquito bite as that is what it felt like. I got home and there was 2 very bright pink bumps right next to each other. I did not think much of it until the next day I got another one on the other leg on the back of my calf. Then I noticed a line of them on my right hip area. I made another apt with my dermy doctor and of course by the time I got the apt which was 2 weeks later they had already started getting better and fading. I took pics and showed him and he though it might be bug bites. Anyhow, I had not gotten anymore so we just thought it was a possible bug bite reaction. Well about two weeks ago I got another one on my lower right side of my calf and also one on the other leg. This time they did NOT itch though. Then no more for a week and boom, yesterday got three smaller ones in the upper area of my groin where he top straps of a bikini would lay if I had one on. I also got one on my right calf again. I have no clue what this is. I know people with Crohns can have skin issues. I have not been diagnosed with Crohns. but I have had gut issues for the past 2 and half years now. Had tests but they did not pick anything up. I tried to attach a pic of it but could not for some reason... They are definitely not bug bites

theOcean

I would look up eczema and psoriasis to see if the red bumps you're getting resemble that at all.

On your legs I would also look up erythema nodosum for the ones that don't itch.

Thanks for the reply TheOcean.

I actually have googled it and it does not really resemble either. With psoriasis, it looks different and is usually more wide spread. The dermatologist did not think Psoriasis either, he thought maybe I got bid by a bug or something and had a reaction to it. That theory is off the table though because there is NO way I would keep having a few pop up every week or two. I also looked up the Erythema Nodosum and that looks different to. I tried to post a picture but there is not enough memory to receive it I guess. My camera has too many mega pixals. The best way I can describe the bumps is that they are bright pink circular raised red bumps the size of a pencil eraser in circumference.

theOcean

Not necessarily. I actually get small patches of psoriasis. But if your dermatologist didn't think it was psoriasis then he was probably right.

What medication are you on, in case it's maybe a reaction to something?

Can you resize your photos at all? There should be some programs on your computer that allow you to do that. Alternatively if you have a smart phone, you might have more success uploading photos from there.

I get small areas of eczema this time of year, usually just 1 or 2 at a time. Some look like ringworm, others like bug bites, but always just eczema. Mine are stress and/or allergy mediated.

Thanks for the replies,

Yeah, I am thinking maybe it is an allergy or some kind of reaction to something. They do not hurt or anything so I am just going to watch at wait as long as I don't get too many..

Hey everyone,

I have been experiencing some odd skin issues in the last couple months. First it started with a pink round patch on my fore arm. At first doctor said it looked a lot like ringworm. Gave me some cream for it but it did not go away, it kind of got worse. Went to a dermatologist and he was not sure and gave me some other cream. After about 2 months, it has faded somewhat, but you can still see it, like it left an imprint of it on my arm. Anyhow, about a month ago out of the blue I got this awful itch on above my knee. I thought it was a mosquito bite as that is what it felt like. I got home and there was 2 very bright pink bumps right next to each other. I did not think much of it until the next day I got another one on the other leg on the back of my calf. Then I noticed a line of them on my right hip area. I made another apt with my dermy doctor and of course by the time I got the apt which was 2 weeks later they had already started getting better and fading. I took pics and showed him and he though it might be bug bites. Anyhow, I had not gotten anymore so we just thought it was a possible bug bite reaction. Well about two weeks ago I got another one on my lower right side of my calf and also one on the other leg. This time they did NOT itch though. Then no more for a week and boom, yesterday got three smaller ones in the upper area of my groin where he top straps of a bikini would lay if I had one on. I also got one on my right calf again. I have no clue what this is. I know people with Crohns can have skin issues. I have not been diagnosed with Crohns. but I have had gut issues for the past 2 and half years now. Had tests but they did not pick anything up. I tried to attach a pic of it but could not for some reason... They are definitely not bug bites
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but just noticed I have four or five red marks (circular, but flat) on my thigh and they're all kind of spaced apart quite a distance (maybe half an inch in diameter). They're not itchy either. I've had weird things like pimples coming up occasionally, but the red marks have also been showing up and it's definitely no bite. I can't tell you what it is and I haven't been diagnosed yet either. But last night, I had a lump in my throat and then after eating some dried fruit, it was like there was food still in my throat and it was really weird. Also fatigue - do you experience that? More so than would be typical? I haven't got answers, just wondering if it's the same kind of thing. I've had itchiness too, but not there. I know mine is not dermatitis (contact) or eczema, because I've had both in the past and currently have a heat rash on my arm from working in the heat too much. Second year I've had it, but not related to the weird stuff I just mentioned.

Thanks for the reply TheOcean.

I actually have googled it and it does not really resemble either. With psoriasis, it looks different and is usually more wide spread. The dermatologist did not think Psoriasis either, he thought maybe I got bid by a bug or something and had a reaction to it. That theory is off the table though because there is NO way I would keep having a few pop up every week or two. I also looked up the Erythema Nodosum and that looks different to. I tried to post a picture but there is not enough memory to receive it I guess. My camera has too many mega pixals. The best way I can describe the bumps is that they are bright pink circular raised red bumps the size of a pencil eraser in circumference.
Could it be an infection causing the sores to appear?

About 8 years ago I got stabbed by a plant when I was gardening, it only just broke the skin but I developed a very nasty open sore that stayed a few wks. For months afterwards other sores popped up for no apparent reason, it was eventually decided that the initial injury caused an infection that stayed in my system causing the open wounds to appear in delicate areas. I didn't have IBD issues then.

could be so many things....
allergies to medications? IBD?
My daughter had them from her ankles to her groin: swollen bumps that would come and go. I was sooooo worried. well, it turned out she was allergic to our fabric softener sheets. sometimes it can be something simple :)