• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pompholyx eczema

Anyone else dealing with this? What has worked best for your child? She has it on her hands and feet.

I would rather an alternative if possible

DustyKat

Super Moderator
No experience with that particular type of eczema but for eczema in general, and it should it include this type, goats milk products can be quite successful. Some people drink raw goats milk, not sure how appropriate that is for your little one though, but you can also but goats milk soap and hand cream.

Dusty. xxx

I do not have any alternative recommendations for this form of eczema ... but just wanted to say I hope you find something helpful. I suffered with this for ~10 years ...about ~30 years ago. The itching was so severe at times that I'd rub my skin right off. I kept my feet covered nearly all the time because of embarassment (teen years). Mine was always worse in the summer - I think now that may have been because of the heat trapped in my sneakers.

Grace has mild eczema o her feet and my hubby has the worst chaffing, splits and cracks on his hands. Years of waisting money on lotion trying to help both of them. Finally I grabbed some plain old Glycerin in the drug store and it worked for both!!!! YA!!!
We drink goats milk. If you can get it raw it taste good but the processed milk has a bit of an after taste. We can still drink it. Also goats milk is a great healer of the stomach.

Grace has mild eczema o her feet and my hubby has the worst chaffing, splits and cracks on his hands. Years of waisting money on lotion trying to help both of them. Finally I grabbed some plain old Glycerin in the drug store and it worked for both!!!! YA!!!
We drink goats milk. If you can get it raw it taste good but the processed milk has a bit of an after taste. We can still drink it. Also goats milk is a great healer of the stomach.
Does goats milk have lactose in it? Yes, IsaBella and I both have it. I've always just suffered through it without learning what it was.

I do not have any alternative recommendations for this form of eczema ... but just wanted to say I hope you find something helpful. I suffered with this for ~10 years ...about ~30 years ago. The itching was so severe at times that I'd rub my skin right off. I kept my feet covered nearly all the time because of embarassment (teen years). Mine was always worse in the summer - I think now that may have been because of the heat trapped in my sneakers.
So you don't have it anymore!?

my little penguin

Staff member
Have you looked into wet wraps with vanicream?
Bath bleach baths
Sometimes bath 2-3 times a day them cream up and put warm wet socks or pjs covering + dry clothes on top of that area for a few hours .
Steroids may be needed . The key is to keep steroids for 5 days even though it clears in 2-3 then cream / wet wrap and it shouldn't come back too often.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Oh geeze...that looks like what I went through a while back...Derm just called it eczema - nothing more. Mine cleared up, I used steroid cream on the worst parts, and now try not to let me hands get too dry. I do still occasoinally get little spots/pustules but nothing like when it first appreared!....I also had it on my feet in adition to my hands....

Avon Care Deeply hand cream worked wonders when I was a teen and used to get split hands/fingers - slather on and leave in a plastic bag for a few hours or overnight to let it soak in. Or slather on and put socks/gloves over the hands to keep it on.

Have you looked into wet wraps with vanicream?
Bath bleach baths
Sometimes bath 2-3 times a day them cream up and put warm wet socks or pjs covering + dry clothes on top of that area for a few hours .
Steroids may be needed . The key is to keep steroids for 5 days even though it clears in 2-3 then cream / wet wrap and it shouldn't come back too often.
she sucks her 2 middle fingers.....
We did a bleach bath, i'll continue with that.
She doesn't like to have her clothes wet at all, so i don't see that going over well. I think we have steroid cream, i can call the pharmacy and see if we have a refill on it.

Can i get vanicream over the counter?

Is the Glycerin a cream?

my little penguin

Staff member
If doesn't like her clothes wet do it early evening before bed with a promise to watch xyz so she is distracted .
Or put them on at bed. Then she can sleep and they will dry.
Somethings just can't be negotiated .
Vanicream you order online .
We use cerave cream on DS.
You can find behind the pharmacy counter.

my little penguin

Staff member
Actually the bleach kills the staph on the skin and is much less than in a swimming pool.
It is recommended by national Jewish hospital in Denver as part of their intensive week long ezcema program.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Actually the bleach kills the staph on the skin and is much less than in a swimming pool.
It is recommended by national Jewish hospital in Denver as part of their intensive week long ezcema program.
Do you have the concentrate that should be used? Reading your original post doesn't give guidance on the strength....

Is the Glycerin a cream?
glycerin is a clear gel like lotion. It's the same glycerin you find in products.
Like chap stick and such. Ask at your drug store. It is very cheap. It take a awhile to rub it in but it works GOOD. Grace's worst part was her toes. A few days of applying this stuff and good a gold. However hers was a MILD case.
I'm going to check on the goat's milk for you!:thumleft:

Info on Goats milk
Lactose Intolerant?
Easier digestion allows the lactose to pass through the intestines more rapidly, not giving it time to ferment or cause an osmotic imbalance.
Goat's milk also contains 7% less lactose than cow milk.
Additionally, most lactose intolerant people have found that they can tolerate goat's milk and goat milk products.

Different fat
Goats milk contains around ten grams of fat per eight ounces compared to 8 to 9 grams in whole cow's milk, and it's much easier to find lowfat and non-fat varieties of cow's milk than it is to purchase lowfat goats milk. Unlike cow's milk, goat's milk does not contain agglutinin. As a result, the fat globules in goats milk do not cluster together, making them easier to digest. Like cow's milk, goat's milk is low in essential fatty acids, because goats also have EFA-destroying bacteria in their ruminant stomachs. Yet, goat milk is reported to contain more of the essential fatty acids linoleic and arachnodonic acids, in addition to a higher proportion of short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids. These are easier for intestinal enzymes to digest.

Different protein
Goat milk protein forms a softer curd (the term given to the protein clumps that are formed by the action of your stomach acid on the protein), which makes the protein more easily and rapidly digestible. Theoretically, this more rapid transit through the stomach could be an advantage to infants and children who regurgitate cow's milk easily. Goats milk may also have advantages when it comes to allergies. Goat's milk contains only trace amounts of an allergenic casein protein, alpha-S1, found in cow's milk. Goats milk casein is more similar to human milk, yet cow's milk and goat's milk contain similar levels of the other allergenic protein, beta lactoglobulin. Scientific studies have not found a decreased incidence of allergy with goats milk, but here is another situation where mothers' observations and scientific studies are at odds with one another. Some mothers are certain that their child tolerates goat's milk better than cow's milk, and mothers are more sensitive to children's reactions than scientific studies.

Different minerals
Although the mineral content of goat's milk and cow's milk is generally similar, goat's milk contains 13 percent more calcium, 25 percent more vitamin B-6, 47 percent more vitamin A, 134 percent more potassium, and three times more niacin. It is also four times higher in copper. Goat's milk also contains 27 percent more of the antioxidant selenium than cow's milk. Cow's milk contains five times as much vitamin B-12 as goat's milk and ten times as much folic acid (12 mcg. in cow's milk versus 1 mcg. for goat's milk per eight ounces with an RDA of 75-100 mcg. for children). The fact that goat's milk contains less than ten percent of the amount of folic acid contained in cow's milk means that it must be fortified with folic acid in order to be adequate as a formula or milk substitute for infants and toddlers, and popular brands of goat's milk may advertise "fortified with folic acid" on the carton.

I hope that helps. My son and I can't take cow's milk. Funny since we live on a DAIRY FARM! We don't drink strait goats milk. I cook with it! Works great!

my little penguin

Staff member
Bleach bath info:
If properly diluted and used as directed, a bleach bath is safe for both children and adults. For best results:

Add 1/2 cup (118 milliliters) of bleach to a 40-gallon (151-liter) bathtub filled with warm water (measures are for a U.S.-standard-sized tub filled to the overflow drainage holes).
Soak the limbs and torso or just the affected areas of skin for five to 10 minutes. Do not submerge the head.
Dry skin thoroughly, and generously apply moisturizer.
Take a bleach bath no more than twice a week.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eczema-bleach-bath/AN02003

other articles:

http://dermatology.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2009/605/4

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/123/5/e808

KFA thread on eczema and bleach baths
http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/displayForumTopic/content/3682717252231506

INFO on Wet WRAPS:
Have you tried creams or wet wraps?

Quote:
What did work for us was aggressively treating the eczema. Eczema is not only "the itch that rashes" but is the skin's inability to retain moisture. The loss if vital lipids reduces the moisture barrier which means the skin loses water and becomes dry.
To treat those two problems, we do:
*Daily antihistamine
*Daily soaking baths (with wet towels on skin that is not underwater)
*Immediate slathering with: (a) Vanicream on all skin except where steroid may be needed; (b) one of two steroids where needed.
Desonide (lower strength steroid) goes on face, axilla (armpit), groin
Triamcinolone (slightly higher strength steroid) goes on anywhere that is inflamed that is not the face/groin/axilla

So if there is a flare--red/itchy/etc; that part gets the corresponding steroid for 5 days--even if it has cleared after 2 days because biopsies have shown continued inflammation that can't be seen by the naked eye.

Vanicream and steroids don't get overlapped on the same body part.
Steroids get applied with a tongue depressor and then rubbed in--don't dip in with your hands and intro bacteria into them.
Studies show that if you use the steroid for 5 days (even continuing after it looks cleared), you end up using LESS steroid overall (compared to those who use it sparingly).

I have found this to be true.

*After the Vanicream or topical steroid is put on, then cover the kid with warm wet pajamas and socks (even on arms). Then put warm, dry socks on top of the feet/legs and hands/feet. Then on top of that, put the warm pajamas (long-sleeves). The kid will NOT be able to take them off this way. Leave on for at least 2 hours, or overnight if doing it at bedtime. Bad flares may need bath/wet wraps 2 or 3 times a day.

We are just "maintaining" good skin, so we do it once a day at bedtime; and Vanicream all over the body also in the morning. But during bad flares, repeat the soaking and wrapping method a few times per day/night for best results.

http://community.kidswithfoodallergi...82717252137825

For a very allergic kid with GI issues I would call NAtional Jewish hospital in Denver Colorado

They have a week long day program that could help you get to the bottom of all his pain and issues.
http://www.nationaljewish.org/progra...ic-dermatitis/