• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Currently undiagnosed - Do I have Crohn’s?

Currently undiagnosed - Do I have Crohn’s?

For the last 10 weeks I have suffered with a terrible stitch like pain in my lower right abdomen. I have been back and forth to the hospital and doctors and have a series of tests completed. At first they thought it was appendix and completed a ultrasound and a CT scan and the found fluid around that area. My bloods have come back clear but still have this dull ache pain constantly everyday and feel so fatigued. I found out the other day that on my CT scan a a note said possible terminal ileitus. The pain is very stitch like in a he morning and a dull ache constantly throughout the day. What could this be?

For the last 10 weeks I have suffered with a terrible stitch like pain in my lower right abdomen. I have been back and forth to the hospital and doctors and have a series of tests completed. At first they thought it was appendix and completed a ultrasound and a CT scan and the found fluid around that area. My bloods have come back clear but still have this dull ache pain constantly everyday and feel so fatigued. I found out the other day that on my CT scan a a note said possible terminal ileitus. The pain is very stitch like in a he morning and a dull ache constantly throughout the day. What could this be?
When you go back to the Dr ask for a CT with contrast. It can pick up more than a regular CT. If your pain is too annoying or making it hard to function keep going to the ER . I had to go every 2 weeks before I could my dx. You have to diligent and don't accept that anything is normal with out a 2nd opinion. Good luck, I'm praying for you.

So they carried out the Ct scan with contrast originally. Sorry forgot to mention that. Today the pain feels like contrast pressure on my lower right abdomen. Is this normal?

So they carried out the Ct scan with contrast originally. Sorry forgot to mention that. Today the pain feels like contrast pressure on my lower right abdomen. Is this normal?
Not usually. Try a hot compress and if that doesn't help I would go to the ER. Tell them that YOU know something isn't right. DILIGENT I drove my local ER CRAZY until one Dr said she's right something is wrong. Then I got my dx. They called in another GI. I kept being told colitis and sent home with antibiotics. Good luck.

Any type of gastroenteritis, including terminal ileitis, means that portion of your intestine is inflamed. It’s the source of the inflammation (infectious, allergic, or autoimmune disease are possible causes) that needs to be figured out. Terminal ileitis can cause the appendix to become inflamed as well and is the most common presentation of crohn’s. You should definitely go back to your GI to ask his help in figuring this out. Good lipuck!

Last edited:
Thank you for all your replies. I am just waiting for a colonoscopy appointment. So hopefully That will give me answers!! That would make more sense if the terminal ileitus can cause the appendix to be inflamed.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community! Let's hope that it's not Crohn's but something much easier to treat or self limiting. Either way, please let us know the results of the colonoscopy.

We're here for you.

Thanks all, I have now gone private to speed up the investigation process as I was told to wait 3 months for further investigations. I have the appointment tonight to get a second opinion. Can I ask do any of you suffer with fever like symptoms and nausea? Also I am experiencing pressure like pain in my right lower quadrant and also stitch like pain that subsided after a while.

I have Crohns in that area. If you had ultrasound, it surprises me that they did not say anything about Crohns if they suspect it, because they told me that area is very visible on the ultrasound. On my ultrasound you could see the inflammation in the fat tissue around the intestine. Hope the colposcopy gives you answers so that they can give you the correct treatment. And I hope it is not Crohns. Let us know how it goes. either way.

As for symptoms. I am currently having a lot of problems with my inflammation. Pain and tenderness on the right lower abdomen. I usually do not have nausea, unless the passage is blocked due to the inflammation. Unfortunately, symptoms are very individual.

Thanks for the response, when I was originally taken in to hospital it was for suspected appendicitis. When they done the ultrasound they said the appendix was fine but fluid was found around the terminal ileum area. Which still needs to b investigated. I always have a dull ache but any part of the day it will be like a knot stitch liking stabbing pain.

I see. For me it is also the same. The pain is not constant, more like, discomfort, with stinging pain lasting for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. Only twice did it last for hours, and then I was hospitalized.

I don't know about the fluid, I haven't heard about that before.

Fingers crossed for you. Happy you are not giving up until you find the answers. Getting a diagnosis is sometimes a process as exhausting as the pain itself.

I know that feeling, I had this at the beginning of the eat and then it subsided. Then it all started back again in September. I have occasionally pain the left side of my naval. Such a rang of symptoms. Also, TMI I know but does crohns cause sufferers to experiencing shooting pain in my the rectum area?

Crohns can affect you from where the food comes in to where it comes out, so it is theoretically possible.

My issue at the moment is also pain in different locations than just my ileum area. Doctors said the CT and ultrasound, and also colposcopy, is for the lower end of the intestines only. so I am waiting for MR to check my entire stomach region.

Crohns can affect you from where the food comes in to where it comes out, so it is theoretically possible.

My issue at the moment is also pain in different locations than just my ileum area. Doctors said the CT and ultrasound, and also colposcopy, is for the lower end of the intestines only. so I am waiting for MR to check my entire stomach region.
Best to you

i have recently had my colonoscopy which from all accounts looked fine. I had 11 biopsies taken so waiting for the results. I am still suffering lower right abdominal pain, nausea and most of all sharp shooting pain in my rectum. Could this also be linked to UC?

If you are still having pain you might want to get your small intestine imaged as well. A CTE (which you had) works well, as does an MRI or less expensively, an upper GI series with small bowel follow through. If an infection caused the pain you should be better by now.

So I find out my results from my consultant on Wednesday for my biopsies. I received a letter a few days ago and it stated that he has noticed my colon is very friable. Which from research means it is brittle. Does this mean I have Crohns or Ulcerative colitis?

I think it means it is likely you have colitis, but he may not be sure whether it’s crohn’s colitis or ulcerative colitis, if that makes sense. Sometimes people have “undifferentiated” colitis which means they don’t really know. Please let us know what he says.