• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Your experience with sport as a form of treatment

My doctor many years ago told me a small study in Frankfurt showed that all kinds of endurance sports can be very beneficial to Crohn's disease (couldn't find an English source, here is the translated German source idw-online.de/pages/de/news154679).

My (highly subjective) history of doing sport and Crohn's is that whenever I was regularly doing sport symptoms decreased and now that I am on a 3-4 days per week at least 90 min running/rowing/cycling sport schedule, my weight has gone up the first time to where it was before I was diagnosed in 1999 (even above that) and I have been in complete remission for over a year now.

I am on Aza 150mg (at 78kg body weight), iron supplements (Tardiferon 1x80mg and 80mg of dissolvable iron with Vit C), B-12 and B-6, Vit D, magnesium and zinc. I have been on Aza since 2003 (with a 2 year hiatus from 2008 to 2010 which didn't end well).

Does anyone know of any other studies or research into effects of endurance sport on Crohn's?

personally I have found that the days after heavy activity contain a lot more pain, but this could be because I am in the middle of a heavy flare and really anything causes pain, but at this point no exercise is not beneficial for me.

personally I have found that the days after heavy activity contain a lot more pain, but this could be because I am in the middle of a heavy flare and really anything causes pain, but at this point no exercise is not beneficial for me.
In a flare up I would not do exercise either. You need rest if there is inflammation. But my experience has been that in remission sport helps to keep BM regular, increases appetite and decreases stress.

I have also noticed that I do not flare when I am getting a lot of physical activity, I actually made a post month or so ago about going into complete remission for over 1 year twice. Both times while deployed when my activity level was extremely high.