• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

All about Seton

Ok so I had surgery on Mon to drain a perianal abscess and fistula. I now have a seton drain but honestly don't know much about it. I have googled and read as much as I can but I want to hear from those who have experienced it. I see my surgeon next week for follow up but I want to be educated about it before going in so I could ask questions. It all happened so fast before surgery and I just wanted relief!! Having a seton sounds like a long process/ treafment. What are my can and can't dos? Is there something I can do to help healing? Tell me about your experiences please!!
I was diagnosed 11 yrs ago and had a full colectomy in 2014. Have been on Humira and going back on soon.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I cannot give you any insight on your questions, but I did move your thread to the fistula, fissures and abscess forum where hopefully you get more replies.

My husband has 2 setons in. This is what the surgeon told us - Its like a rubber band which will be put on both ends of the fistula holding it together so it doesnt grow further and keeps it open, so that pus and drainage comes out of it clearing the body of infection. That's what it did. He kept draining everyday. A lot of blood and pus came out and eventually his body was clear of infection before he started remicade. He still has some drainage now, though the fistulae are healing. GI said the setons have to be in atleast 6 months after 1st infusion. We are consulting the surgeon next month about removal.

There are basically no do's and dont's for this. It did not bother my husband in any way. After 2 days of surgery, he hardly noticed it. Got used to it. Sometimes if it pricks when he sits, he stands again and sits so that it shifts slightly. Other than that, he doesn't do anything for it. If your fistula hurts, the best is sitz bath. It speeds up the healing process and also gives you relief.

Take care.

Hi there, each fistula sufferer is different.

I have been told that mine is difficult to treat and have had 6 surgeries in the last 2 and a half years. However I have a friend who has one seton and then one procedure in the space of four months and its gone. I then have a cousin who had the same thing and his was fixed after a year.

My advice would be to take each day as it comes and really enjoy your good days.

My seton has not stopped me doing anything a did before completely. However sometimes I will have to walk a little slower or move a little stiffer, particularly when I am tired. I also know when I have over done it as the seton hole seems to discharge more.

I swear by the sitz baths and bought myself a plastic bidet that I fill with hot water and rock salt and this keeps it exceptionally clean.(This assists with the healing process and the throbbing pain.) I also use water wipes when I am out of the house and each time I see the surgeon I am complemented on how clean the area is. I was also advised to take a lot of vitamin C.

I should add that I don't have crohns but joined this forum as I couldn't find anyone to talk to about my perianal fistula. Mine is transphincteric which means it goes through both my internal and external sphincter muscles. However my last procedure saw them cut some of the tract out of the internal sphincter so my seton is currently through my external sphincter. Mine is straw like, neon yellow and plaited into a knot.

If you have any questions that you think I can help with please ask.

Kind regards

Carly :)

Hi there, each fistula sufferer is different.

I have been told that mine is difficult to treat and have had 6 surgeries in the last 2 and a half years. However I have a friend who has one seton and then one procedure in the space of four months and its gone. I then have a cousin who had the same thing and his was fixed after a year.

My advice would be to take each day as it comes and really enjoy your good days.

My seton has not stopped me doing anything a did before completely. However sometimes I will have to walk a little slower or move a little stiffer, particularly when I am tired. I also know when I have over done it as the seton hole seems to discharge more.

I swear by the sitz baths and bought myself a plastic bidet that I fill with hot water and rock salt and this keeps it exceptionally clean.(This assists with the healing process and the throbbing pain.) I also use water wipes when I am out of the house and each time I see the surgeon I am complemented on how clean the area is. I was also advised to take a lot of vitamin C.

I should add that I don't have crohns but joined this forum as I couldn't find anyone to talk to about my perianal fistula. Mine is transphincteric which means it goes through both my internal and external sphincter muscles. However my last procedure saw them cut some of the tract out of the internal sphincter so my seton is currently through my external sphincter. Mine is straw like, neon yellow and plaited into a knot.

If you have any questions that you think I can help with please ask.

Kind regards

Carly :)

Thanks Carly. I was doing alot of sitz baths before the surgery but the surgery was on Monday so a week ago tomorrow. I still have packing which I get done everyday and they told me no sitz baths while I have packing. That kinda leaves me with an area and packing that is not so clean unfortunately. Seems bizarre to me that they would not want me to clean well after every washroom visit which is often for me with crohns and the antibiotics make it worse. I do the best I can with wet wipes but a bath or even shower spray would be so much better. Lots of information between us strangers but best to talk about it then worry about it..haha. Your information was very helpful. I see my suegeon again on Tues so hoping she could help as well. Thanks.