• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strange symptoms

Hi. When I've had a bowel movement I get really bad stomach pains and I feel absolutely drained. Last week I had to put my head on my desk at work! I'm starting steroids this week. My doctor reluctant to diagnose me with anything. Does anyone else have this type of symptom? Thanks for your help.

scottsma

Hello and welcome.I get that when I'm in a flare.I also feel nauseous and really drained.
Why is your doc.prescribing steroids if you've not been diagnosed.Is this your GP or GI ?
If you're having IBD or crohns symptoms you should be seen by a gastro.doc.
If your doc thinks you have IBS,I wonder whether steroids is used for this.
Steroids are commonly prescribed to get inflammation in the gut under control,but I'm not sure they are used for IBS.Maybe I'm wrong.Feel better soon.:ghug:

My gastro doc won't diagnose anything. Not IBS or IBD. As the pill cam and my calprotectin levels both show inflammation my gastro doc has prescribed steroids to reduce the inflammation. It's all very confusing. I do feel like I'm in a flare at the moment as it does come and go but without a diagnosis of anything I suppose I will take the steroids and see what happens.
I'm pretty sure that if my calprotectin is lower after the steroids my gastro doc will just tell me to go away!!

scottsma

The steroids should clear any inflammation.If you feel better,then that's a good thing.Hopefully,that's all you will need.BUT,the first sign of any more digestive problems,get back to the Docs.Please don't ignore symptoms because you think "they" don't care or won't do any anything.Are you on a months steroids ? 40 tapering to 5mg ?

The steroids should clear any inflammation.If you feel better,then that's a good thing.Hopefully,that's all you will need.BUT,the first sign of any more digestive problems,get back to the Docs.Please don't ignore symptoms because you think "they" don't care or won't do any anything.Are you on a months steroids ? 40 tapering to 5mg ?
I don't know what steroids I'm on yet as the prescription is being faxed to my GP. I will let you know Are you saying that what I have could 'just' be inflammation and nothing else and if the steroids make me feel better that will be the end of it? I thought that once it is there it is always there or am I wrong? I don't want another colonoscopy as the last one put me in hospital for a week! Thanks for all your help. x

scottsma

No,of course I'm not saying you don't have crohns.But many of us have mild crohns.I have crohns colitis,and although I do flare three or four times a year,I manage quite well,
(mostly).My worst symptom is urgency,but if I need to go out I take loperamide.Occasionally I use Asacol suppositories for maintenance.I am reluctant to take meds,for crohns,but I know I can contact my IBD nurse at any time,and if she and I think it's necessary,she'll get me an apt. with my G.I. Keep us updated.We all help each other and you will be helpful to others too.

My gastro doc won't diagnose anything. Not IBS or IBD. As the pill cam and my calprotectin levels both show inflammation my gastro doc has prescribed steroids to reduce the inflammation. It's all very confusing. I do feel like I'm in a flare at the moment as it does come and go but without a diagnosis of anything I suppose I will take the steroids and see what happens.
I'm pretty sure that if my calprotectin is lower after the steroids my gastro doc will just tell me to go away!!
That doesn't sound very professional to me.

No,of course I'm not saying you don't have crohns.But many of us have mild crohns.I have crohns colitis,and although I do flare three or four times a year,I manage quite well,
(mostly).My worst symptom is urgency,but if I need to go out I take loperamide.Occasionally I use Asacol suppositories for maintenance.I am reluctant to take meds,for crohns,but I know I can contact my IBD nurse at any time,and if she and I think it's necessary,she'll get me an apt. with my G.I. Keep us updated.We all help each other and you will be helpful to others too.
Sorry, Scottsma I hope you don't think I was coming across as rude as I wasn't meant to be! I've never had diarrhoea but have right side abdo pain and fatigue and joint stiffness. I don't have an IBD nurse and my gastro doc said I'd get a letter for another appointment. I am going to see my GP on Thursday to get prescription and may ask for blood tests as haven't had any since I was in hospital...will see what they say....not holding out much hope though!

scottsma

Nothing to apologise for,I didn't for a minute think you were rude.
This darned disease is so stressful and confusing,it's can do your head in.Just get through one day at a time,best you can.We're all here for you.

The apt., with your gastro doc.,will most probably be after your course of steroids,to see if they've done the job.In the meantime make a list of all symptoms,when and how long they lasted.Including fatigue and muscle pain.
Your Gastro. shouldn't mind this one bit,mine doesn't.Also list questions you want to ask.If you're not happy about how things are going with your diagnosis and treatment,tell him so.You know your own body and if things don't feel right......:dog: