• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just been diagnosed via pillcam

Hi, i have just been given the diagnosis of Crohn's as a direct result of a pill cam. They said it picked up some small ulcers in the small bowel and i was told i have crohns. I was not offered any treatment as the doc said/thinks that my symptoms are not that of crohns and that its just to be monitored.

I feel a bit fobbed off im not sure what to think ?

Thanks
Steve

nogutsnoglory

Hi Steve sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am a little confused by your doctors assessment. They diagnosed you with crohn's due to the ulcer but don't think you are having crohn's symptoms? An ulcer in the small bowel is not normal what else do they think is causing it if not the crohn's?

Hi Steve sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am a little confused by your doctors assessment. They diagnosed you with crohn's due to the ulcer but don't think you are having crohn's symptoms? An ulcer in the small bowel is not normal what else do they think is causing it if not the crohn's?
His answer was IBS when i asked him the exact same question. I know i also have yeast problems but the local doctors dnt really know anything about that.

nogutsnoglory

IBS would not cause ulceration. I don't want to sound like I'm questioning your doctor but I would urge you to get a second opinion. It's quite possible you have Crohn's and IBS and many symptoms do overlap but lasting damage and inflammation are signs of inflammatory bowel disease.

You know, It is odd that your gastro would say the pill cam found an ulcer and that it is positive for crohns, but yet he is saying you do not have crohns??? I am a bit confused. One thing I will say is that I was told by my gastro doc that they are finding that IBS can cause minor inflammation in the intestines. I think they usually call in microscopic. But he also said they were doing trials and said some people with IBS had favorable results with using Pentasa. They are doing some trials here now with it on IBS patients.

I probably would question this doctor and tell him that everywhere you read and research says that IBS does not cause ulcers so what does he think is causing the ulcers in your small bowel if it is not crohns?