• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mercaptopurine, Is it dangerous?

I am a brand new member. I was diagnosed with Colitis in January. Lialda doesn't seem to be working so my doctor wants to try Mercaptopurine. I have read that it has side effects such as not being able to get pregnant and such things as vomiting, discoloration of the skin, and so on. Can anyone who is taking it tell me about their experience on this drug? Thanks!!

I've been on mercaptopurine for just over a year now (since i was diagnosed). It is scary reading all the side effects. I'm not 100% sure about not being able to get pregnant because I haven't tried! However I was a bit nauseous when I first started, it lasted about a week and once my body adjusted to the medication it was gone. The 2 main things I notice from it is that I get sick a lot, I catch lots of colds and even though I used to before being diagnosed, it takes a lot longer to feel better.
The other thing I noticed was hair loss, which really really scared me. My hair would just fall out when I brushed my fingers through it, let alone a brush. And it also stopped growing longer. It took months for that to stop and then my dosage would be adjusted and it would start again!
I know it's scary trying new medications, but you can always try it and if you don't like what it's doing to your body you can ask for alternatives.
Goodluck!

Hello, welcome to the forum. Iv been on 6mp for 2 months now. I havnt had hair loss, and compared to azathiroprine, I think it's way better. Make sure you use sunscreen on sunny days at least, and drink plenty of fluid, as it can affect your liver function. But you should have regular blood tests for that anyway. Best wishes, hope it helps :)