• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Will I get an ileostomy?

Hey,

Yesterday I had an ultrasound and was told that everything was fine except my ileum. I was thinking about it lots and remembered my doctor say if I flared up again, there's one last drug to try and then they'll do surgery. I know ileostomies are when the ileum comes out the body, but would they do this if I was to have surgery?

I'm not trying to be peswmistic and already be thinking about surgery, but I would rather know now if there's a possibility I would get one than not think about it at all then be shocked if they say I need one. I just want to know what to expect if that makes sence? Hope someone can explain :)

Thanks xx

Ki3 xx

If you were to need just a resection of a portion of small intestine, then most likely you would not need an ileostomy.

Generally if someone needs an ileostomy, it is because part or all of the colon is removed or just to allow time for the bowels, large and small, to rest and heal from the portion below where the stoma is placed. Many resections are done without need of a stoma.

Oh ok. Thank you for telling me, I didnt quiet understand it all. I wouldnt mind having an ostomy, I just wasnt sure if it was likely I would need one. I guess ill keep on :poo: hahaa thanks xx

Umm...err....uhh... fingers crossed for an ileostomy in the future??? Hahaha! Just kidding!

Hopefully you won't need surgery at all, but if you do, I hope all goes well. Definitely let us know how you get on!!

With ileal resections in crohn's patients the risk of a TEMP ileostomy needing to be placed varies from 1-3%. This is considered a complication since it's only done if they get in there and you're way more of a mess than they thought you were, or you get a leak because the surgeon didn't hook you back up very well. Best of luck! I just got a neo-neo-ileum (ie second ileal resection) and they can make you feel tons better. Hoping I won't need another one since I'd like to conserve the guts I've got left, but my last resection bought me a 6-year remission (and then I started smoking heavily - didn't know what danger I was putting myself in. If you get surgery, DON'T SMOKE AFTER).

Thank you, I think having having a temporary ostomy would be interesting, just something to experience. But yeah hopefully no surgery will be needed.

You might know by now anyway, but at the start of December 2013 I had a resection to remove a stricture and an unknows abscess, and as part of the healing process I got an ileostomy.

Just saw my surgeon recently and im allowed to keep it as long as I like :)

You might know by now anyway, but at the start of December 2013 I had a resection to remove a stricture and an unknows abscess, and as part of the healing process I got an ileostomy.

Just saw my surgeon recently and im allowed to keep it as long as I like :)
Why were you given the ileostomy? Was it because of the abscess?

I am having a resection tomorrow morning (to remove the ileum and the beginning of colon), it will also be fixing a fistula from the ileum to abdominal wall. My surgeon said there is less than a 10% chance I will need an ileostomy.

I don't quite understand why some people need them after surgery and some do not.

I don't really know either, I think they said its if there is lots of fluid around the surgery site, and I had lots and my intestines were like stuck together as at easter, last year, I had a perforation and it closed itself so I had all this gunk floating around.

I don't really know either, I think they said its if there is lots of fluid around the surgery site, and I had lots and my intestines were like stuck together as at easter, last year, I had a perforation and it closed itself so I had all this gunk floating around.
Maybe a lot of it is down to the skill of the surgeon too?

How have you been since the surgery? My operation tomorrow needs to be an open procedure so i'm expecting a lengthy recovery time.

ive bee really good thank you! To start with I hated my ostomy it leaked like 8 times a day and it was horrible but now I have a better bag and I hardly ever get leaks and I have my life back :) Pain free unless I eat something stupid haha, yeah im doing great and I love Lily The Ile haha!

Good luck for your surgery tomorrow I hope it goes ok! Let me know if you get a stoma or not!xx