• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pretty severe pain in Lower left abdomen???

Hi everyone,

It has been awhile since I posted. I have been having abdominal pain for a few years now. Four years ago it was so bad I was pretty much sitting with a heating pad all day. It got somewhat better after awhile. I had many tests done( MRI, CT, colonoscopy, ultrasound, stool studies, etc..). My GI doc ultimately diagnosed me with IBS( so basically he has no clue).

I have been diagnosed with many health issues over the years that are debilitating( Interstitial Cystitis, Firbo, CFS, CIRS which is chronic inflammatory response syndrome, Multiple chemical sensitivity, IBS, etc.).

My current situation I am dealing with started 2 and half days ago. It started as lower left abdominal pain that would come and go. It got worse as the day went by. Well last night I could not sleep the pain was so bad. The pain feels like a deep stabbing pain along with tenderness and achiness. The pain travels down my front thigh to my knee at times which is like a throbbing deep ache down my thigh. I gave in and went to the ER at 3:30 in the morning. They did blood work and urine tests which were normal. They suspected possible female issue( ovarian cyst rupture) or maybe diverticulitis, but they doubted it was diverticulitis as I did not have any fever or constipation/diarrhea. Anyhow, the vaginal ultrasound was negative. So they then offered a CT scan of the abdomen. I am very sensitive to contrast so the ER doc assured me they would be able to see if something sinister was going on with just the plain CT scan. That came back negative as well.

They discharged me telling me to take Ibuprofen( which I cannot tolerate) and to follow up with my gynecologist. This however does not feel like a gyne issue to me. Also, the ultrasound did not show anything.

I feel it is intestinal related. For instance, I felt a little better as the day went on( probably because I have not eaten anything all day). Well I got home and ate a toasted piece of gluten free bread( I am gluten intolerant). Well three hours later and the lower left quadrant pain feels kinda worse again. I am worried it could be an abscess or diverticulitis and they missed it?? How accurate would the CT without contrast have been? I asked the ER doc and told him i would do the contrast if he really thought I had to. He said they should be able to see anything bad with just the CT scan. What are your thoughts?

I have tried the heating pad and it makes me feel worse. I am very reluctant to take Ibuprofen. My stomach does NOT tolerate that. Not sure what is going on :(

Thanks. Not sure, but I think the Jejunum is higher up. My pain is lower, like low left side abdominal pain. It is low like in pelvic region, but to the left side. The pain also radiates down my thigh which is awful.

I dont know but i wonder about jejunitis.(sp?) Ask your doctor.

Pancreatitis responds to food, but that pain would be higher up.

FYI, though, I had pancreatitis stabbing me horribly for a WEEK before the labs or anything showed what was going on. It took a CT scan for them to finally see it.

I guess my point is that a doctor's inability to see something doesn't mean it isn't there.

TMI, but if your BM habits have changed, you may want to give the doc a heads up on that?

I hope you're feeling better soon!