• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Celebration

Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone on this forum who has been such a help to me with my new life with a stoma. I am now about 3 weeks post op and getting stronger by the day. I still have my days of feeling crummy and adjusting to life with a bag, but then I sit down with my family to eat dinner and I actually get to eat it all and not get up to run to the bathroom after three bites. I was able to go to the store and not run to the bathroom thinking "Am I going to make it?" I still feel like everyone can see this bag under my clothes, but since I got a smaller size wafer I feel better about appearance and was even able to wear one of my "tighter" tank tops which I thought I was going to have to throw away because it was going to be very obvious. I have the support of my family, but with it being Thanksgiving tomorrow I wanted to thank everyone on here and just say that I would never have been able to mentally or physically get through everything without the help of this forum. To anyone who may need to get an ileostomy or colostomy for your CD or UC, it is tough at first, I'm not gonna lie, but I have this whole new outlook on life now that I didnt know was possible with CD. I finally feel like I have a life aside from the Crohns for once and thats alot for me at 24. Dont give up the fight of this disease. Life is not over just because you have to have a bag. For me it is only the beginning!

What a great outlook you have ChronsGirl, good on you. I'm heading down the possible surgery path and my biggest 'Pro" if you like is being able to sit and eat and not run to the loo and not have to pop a billion pills and have side effects etc etc etc. It's nice to read that whilst surgery is going to be no walk in the park there is 'afterwards' and it's not going to be all that bad, it's just adjusting to the situation :)

Keep us updated how you are going as I'd love to hear.

Gx

Well that is good! I went into work yesterday for the first time and was telling everyone how I love my bag. All the positives and how I wished I had gotten one years ago. I think they just thought I was talking myself into being positive. But no, I meant it!

ameslouise

Welcome to the club Crohn's Girl! Glad you are feeling well and able to enjoy those "simple" things in life again. It's amazing how good you can feel and not even think twice about having a bag!

Enjoy Thanksgiving! (But be careful of gravy!!) -Amy

Terriernut

Welcome Crohns Girl! I am thankful this day to be a part of this lovely group of people. I'm also thankful to be alive...because this time last year, the 17th of November 2010 I was first admitted to hospital for a perforated bowel.

I was also the xmas turkey last year. However, thanks to alot of help from this forum, I not only survived, but thrived. I dont know if I would be the sane balanced individual I am today without these folks. :)yfaint: and if you believe I'm sane..........) But yes, the people on here really did make all the difference to me this past year or so.

Thank you from the bottom of my bag. I mean heart!!!