• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6 Months Post Op, Symptoms

Hi everyone,
So it will be 6months on Dec 6th that I have had my ileostomy, Margaret.
I am currently having these symptoms:

- passing bloody mucous / soft stool like stuff. - x2/x3 a week
- stomach cramps
- a bit of bloating
- extremely loud stomach noises
- crohns related arthritic knee is sore

What do you guys think is happening? a flare?
I last had bloods a 4-5 weeks ago and my inflammatory markers were down
However, in the past 3 weeks or so I have been under a huge amount of stress, my 4 year relationship has ended and I am in final year of my degree.

Any thoughts would be great? as I am not sure what to do and need a bit of support.
X

I haven't no, I'm not due to see her until feb/march time, as I only saw her a month ago. Have emailed nurse but no reply as yet x

I haven't no, I'm not due to see her until feb/march time, as I only saw her a month ago. Have emailed nurse but no reply as yet x
Hopefully your nurse will offer you some guidance. Good luck. I hope you're able to sort this out quickly.

Nyx

Hmmmm...symptoms of a flare sound kind of unlikely then. But, I definitely could be wrong. Sorry I haven't been more helpful! I think managing your stress would probably help immensely, but I know that saying that is much easier than doing it. I hope you hear from your GI soon and get in and find out what's going on. Good luck! Keep us posted...

The bloody mucus is concerning to me. I hope you will be able to see someone soon or at least get feedback from your nurse that you feel is solid advice.

nogutsnoglory

I agree, the blood is concerning. The stoma is delicate and can bleed a little and be totally normal but if you are seeing a significant amount coupled with mucus that is alarming. I hope your GI or ostomy nurse will be able to provide some answers.

Is your wafer cut wide enough for your stoma to move around properly?

nogutsnoglory

Do you have any setons in place? I pass A LOT of mucus from my bottom and when i pat with tissue I get some blood but I have setons.

Mucus that isn't an odd color is normal but any significant blood is not. Either way I think it is important to mention.

I am disease free, but do pass blood-tinged mucus from time to time. However, my small intestines are directly connected to just a teeny bit of remaining rectum and I have been told that blood-tinged mucus is still normal since the small bowel bleeds easily same as what you might see with a stoma...."tinged" being the acceptable level.

Passing straight out bloody mucus sounds like a flare to me.