• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Desserts for Crohn's?

So, I'm kinda fed up with the inability to eat cake or any other dessert that has fats in it because of this current active flare.

Are there any desserts (other than jello) that you guys know of that are Crohn's friendly?

P.S: I don't have any problems digesting gluten, fats and nuts just aggravate the symptoms.

I do very well with rice so I often eat a bowl of Rice Krispies with vanilla rice milk when I want something sweet.

I do very well with rice so I often eat a bowl of Rice Krispies with vanilla rice milk when I want something sweet.
Rice leaves me constipated for long hours, so I guess that's a no for me. Thanks for mentioning it, though.

fuzzy butterfly

Can you eat tinned fruit (easier to digest than fresh) with maybe ice cream or some kind of cream (low or fat free) . It helps the sweet cravings if you can. Best wishes 💕

Can you eat tinned fruit (easier to digest than fresh) with maybe ice cream or some kind of cream (low or fat free) . It helps the sweet cravings if you can. Best wishes 💕
I have not thought of ice cream, I'll give that a shot. Thanks for helping. :D

I just noticed you live in Egypt. Do they even have Rice Krispies there? Just curious.
Ah yeah, they do sell those over here.

Scipio

FYI: the term "pudding" (above) means something rather different to Americans than it does to the British or to others using the term in same way as the British.

In America pudding refers to a soft, creamy, sweet dessert, sort of like a mousse but not whipped up quite so much.

In Britain pudding is a a baked or steamed sponge or suet dish, usually sweet and served as a dessert, but also can be a savory suet pudding (e.g. steak and kidney). My experience is that British pudding is often very high fat.

In Britain pudding is a a baked or steamed sponge or suet dish, usually sweet and served as a dessert, but also can be a savory suet pudding (e.g. steak and kidney). My experience is that British pudding is often very high fat.
Actually most of us would use "pudding" to mean dessert. I think what you describe is a very old-fashioned usage, perhaps Victorian era. We'd call it a sponge or a suet (steak and kidney in a pudding sounds revolting).

I ate tinned fruit whilst I was waiting for surgery at the urging of a nutritionist. Seemed okay. You probably want to avoid anything with seeds.

just eat fruit!! still have alot of sugar but its natural sweet and healthy. pumpkin pie with low sugar and low in milk is a good bet too or apple pie low in sugar and some whipped cream. it's still fruit based and generally health especially if you make it yourself and control the amount of refined sugar, you can also use honey which is a little healthier.

I like these fruit bars by a company natures bakery no refined sugar just concentrated fruit juices to sweeten it, and usually cheaper then other snack health food bars, this was surprising and much better then a snickers or other candy bar.

I eat a banana sandwich or cream crackers with banana when I really want to eat something sweet. Don't know if it counts as a dessert but sadly it's the closest I get!

zHassanz you are on my wavelength!!

Banana is okay, but all other fruits are a no go for me...

Get some Dates, take the stone out, fill with any kind of nut butter (peanut, almond etc) mixed with a little Cacoa. (leave in the fridge for a few hours ideally)

Banana ice cream is my favourite; freeze a couple (serves 2) of bananas. when frozen stick in a blender with a couple of dates and some coconut milk (or almond milk, or real milk if your lucky enough to be able to tolerate it). Serve with flakes almonds and maple syrup or honey. has the texture and taste of icecream without the stomach problems! :)

if any of you try this, please let me know what you think! Good luck to you all! :)

my little penguin

Staff member
We make Ds lactose 1% milk with fresh orange juice , vanilla , and sugar to create a sherbet that is low fat and full of vitamin C

Apples cored with cinnamon and sugar baked are good

Muffin can be made low fat using egg whites and olive oil /apple sauce
Any variety just add your fav fruit to it

How about meringue cookies? Low fat and simple ingredients. If you have a hand held mixer you can make them yourself. Trick is make sure no egg yolk gets in the bowl and you will need some patience since it takes a while for the stiff peaks to form. For a dessert I usually have berries and yogurt. Berries are easy fruit for me to digest.

Thanks a lot everyone for responding and sharing different recipes. I'll make sure to try them all, when I have more time on my hands.

Currently, I have made mernigue cookies, but they're still baking. The smell is nice, and I really hope that my stomach will tolerate them.

Update: The meringue cookies were awesome and I did tolerate them with no issues. I have also baked the banana muffins only adding some skimmed milk for the batter to loosen a little and they turned out great and very easy to digest; I'd highly recommend them if you have no problem with gluten.

I'm glad to hear you've found some sweets that sit well with you. I think I might make some meringue cookies and try adding a little cocoa powder to them :)

I see that this thread is from a little bit ago, but I wanted to offer some advice... I absolutely love dessert and anything sweet, so I feel everyone's pain here. There are many different sweet flavored yogurt-- I know Dannon offers mousse yogurts that are light and airy. Greek yogurt's great too because there's more protein involved and also a lot of sweet flavors!

Lemon bars surprisingly seem to be fine for me too (which was so nice!). Maybe it would be fine for others as well? I found a recipe online that was an IBD friendly lemon bar recipe. If anyone would like it I would be fine with posting it! :thumright: It seemed simple, which is a must in my book haha.

Does anyone know of a good protein bar without nuts?
The one bar brand I find that doesn't cause gastro distress is Lunabars! They're so delicious and sweet... plus gluten free for those of us who can't tolerate gluten! They also offer many dessert-like flavors, so I go to those when I want sweets too.

So, I'm kinda fed up with the inability to eat cake or any other dessert that has fats in it because of this current active flare.

Are there any desserts (other than jello) that you guys know of that are Crohn's friendly?

P.S: I don't have any problems digesting gluten, fats and nuts just aggravate the symptoms.
If it is the texture of nuts that bother you, this might allow you to eat them and enjoy one of my favorite desserts.

Take cashews and soak them for a couple of hours or longer. Whirl in a blender with a little vanilla and a small amount of honey, or a date, or maple syrup. You don't need much sweetener at all.

Served this whipped topping over fruit of your choice. Bananas are easy to digest, but I also love it on blueberries and strawberries.

Does anyone know of a good protein bar without nuts?
I make my own and they are super easy to make. Here is a general recipe, but you can put in anything that works for you. I generally add nuts but you don't need to.

Rolled oats, dried fruit (I usually like dried tart cherries) but raisins or cranberries work well, maca powder, unsweetened shredded coconut, small amount of honey, chia seeds. Put everything in a food processor and whirl it up. I shape it into balls or bars and roll them in some additional unsweetened coconut so they are not sticky to the touch. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate.

On occasion I have used hemp seeds, kamut (grain), sunflower seeds, dates, prunes, dried apples, dried apricots, dried mango.

I always use these for my long hikes.

I would try to accustom your taste buds to the many minerals you get from cooked vegetables (when cooked) versus anything sweet tasting that most think of with what defines desserts. Even fruit (organic or not) is out of the question for me when I know I'm doing my body good by giving it vegetables instead.

Anyone with Crohn's should seriously consider the "cooked vegetable diet" (8-9 cups each day). You can make some really doggone satisfying meals without any added sugar to it (honey, bbq sauce, etc) or fruit.