Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses Support Group

04-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #1741
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi Harper,

I was told to use lactulose as directed on the bottle after surgeries. Maybe you could ask your doctor about that. It is a stool softener and it didn't cause me any side effects. I'm not sure about how to reduce the frequency of bm's though. I wish I knew too.

I hope you find a solution,

cmack
04-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #1742
Harper05

My Support Groups:
Can I not be able to fully go because I'm so swollen? S
04-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #1743
Harper05

My Support Groups:
ok, so I got a second opinion today and this surgeon thinks the first surgeon might not have cut deep enough and that's why I still have the fissure and he thinks if I don't feel better in a week I should do another synphcteromty on the other side.... welp.. I don't know what to do, has anyone experienced this?
04-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #1744
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi, Harper,

I have had similar problems before. They probably missed something the first time. I do think swelling could be a factor.

I'm hoping the best for you, keep in touch

cmack
04-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #1745
Harper05

My Support Groups:
Hi, Harper,

I have had similar problems before. They probably missed something the first time. I do think swelling could be a factor.

I'm hoping the best for you, keep in touch

cmack

Did you have to get the surgery again? I'm wondering if eventually I'll heal in my own without the surgery... again....
04-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #1746
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi Harper,

It might heal, I certainly hope it does. I would have it monitored just in case though. You can never be too careful with these things, they can really turn wicked in a hurry. Listen to your body, you know it best.

Wishing you good health,

cmack
10-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #1747
Quintonrich

My Support Groups:
Wow, reading some of these posts has really scared Me! I had two abscesses removed on the June 25th this year, I had a 'inspection' at the end of August.
I am virtually pain free except for the occasional twinge and was told that my setons were working but did not tell me for how long they would be staying in for.
Now reading some of the horror (to me) stories feel totally uneasy about my prognosis.

Help.
10-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #1748
cmack

My Support Groups:
The setons are only a minor inconvenience compared to more surgery. Mine were in for several years,then I got back to feeling no pain in the area. You will heal, don't be scared, if you do the right things you will feel better.
10-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #1749
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi Quintonrich,

Welcome, you can pm me any time or talk on this thread. I enjoy talking with people like you. Been down the same road, maybe I can help you out a bit.

Kind regards,

Chris
10-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #1750
LemSat87

My Support Groups:
The setons are only a minor inconvenience compared to more surgery. Mine were in for several years,then I got back to feeling no pain in the area. You will heal, don't be scared, if you do the right things you will feel better.
Did you really have your setons in for several years?! I've had 1 in since February and then had 2 more put in in May of this year...I want them out...please don't say years

Colon Perforated March 2013, total of 3 feet of intestine removed and temp ileostomy placed.
ileostomy take down March 2014
Hernia repair June 2015 in surgical area from 2 prior surgeries
Perianal abscess found Feb 2017 with subsequent fistula discovery & seton placement March 2017 w/2 additional seton drains placed May 2017
Have surgery pending to remove gallbladder & repair hernia along a prior surgical site.
10-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #1751
cmack

My Support Groups:
Sometimes it is less time than that. I think it really depends how deep they are and how long the fistula tract is. Also if they are cutting setons or regular smooth ones. I got through it, you will too. It just sucks for the short term. (relatively speaking, I know it seems like forever right now) I understand.
11-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #1752
redheadtn

My Support Groups:
I am having surgery to remove multiple fistulas in stomach and small and large intestine next week. Surgeon said to expect temporary Ostomy for about 6 weeks due to tissue damage from long term prednisone use. Anybody have advice? I am getting really nervous.
11-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #1753
Quintonrich

My Support Groups:
Last Saturday I had further surgery after being examined, the plan was to have the setons out and the fistula's (I have a branch) exposed. My surgeon would only remove one as he was not prepared to risk any sphincter damage. End result is, I have one exposed fistula and a new tighter seton with a planned further procedure later.
Seems to be going OK, with very little leakage and virtually no pain.
11-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #1754
s.a.m.

Did you really have your setons in for several years?! I've had 1 in since February and then had 2 more put in in May of this year...I want them out...please don't say years
I've had Setons in since 2011/2013. Eventually, you kind of forget they're in 😬 I prefer the Seton to all the abscessing 🙂
11-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #1755
cmack

My Support Groups:
I've had Setons in since 2011/2013. Eventually, you kind of forget they're in 😬 I prefer the Seton to all the abscessing 🙂
I agree, it at least allows you to stay at home or be able to work. It also minimizes damage from further abscesses and fistulas.
11-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #1756
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
I am having surgery to remove multiple fistulas in stomach and small and large intestine next week. Surgeon said to expect temporary Ostomy for about 6 weeks due to tissue damage from long term prednisone use. Anybody have advice? I am getting really nervous.
No advice, just support. You will likely get more response on the ostomy thread. Hope everything goes okay!

Seton placement (2) and fistulotomy December 2013. Setons removed July 2014.

Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy July 2016, 25 cms removed

Current meds: Entyvio every 4 weeks, Imuran 50 mg, Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg twice a day
Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Pentasa, Sulphasalazine, Entocort, Stelara, Methotrexate, Prednisone
11-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #1757
Rainbowchaser

My Support Groups:
Good luck with your surgery 😊. I know feeling scared and nervous is hard on top of whatís happening but you will get through it. You are not alone *hugs* 😊
11-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #1758
Starnett

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone.

Is been a while since I have posted on here but I was hoping for some advice and reassurance I suppose.

I have had a fistula in ano for 18 months now, which developed from a peiranal abscess three months before that. After what feels like an age waiting for some kind of answer about treatment, I have a surgery date for a week next Tuesday.

This has left me with mixed feelings. Having lived with this condition now for so long, it has almost become a part of me and Iíve gotten used to dealing with it if that makes sense. I have a pretty predictable cycle of going for about 4 weeks with mild drainage with some minor pain, then Iíll have a flare where the opening heals and it swells causing uncomfortable pain for about 24hrs. It then opens again and the cycle continues.

I have pain medication to reduce the pain when needed and my medication to control my IBS has been working great recently. Iíve identified some further trigger foods and have reduced / eliminated these and Iíve felt a bit better with my bowel health as a result. As mentioned in my previous posts, all the tests performed for Crohns, IBD etc came back negative.

Sorry for the long post but this is what has me worried. I have been advised that surgery is the best and only option to achieve healing of the fistula. My surgeon said it is a simple fistula and has advised I take a minimum of 2 weeks off work to allow for some recovery before returning to work. I am a Teaching assistant who works with children with SEN. I have been stupid enough to be doing lots of research online and itís getting me worried as lots of people seem to have very long and complicated recoveries, some not healing at all. I do understand that healing can be more difficult for people with Crohns or IBD so I may be reading too much into it. It just scares me the though of having surgery and endeing up worse off.

Iím not sure what Iím asking really, just feel very nervous about the whole thing and donít want to go ahead with this if it could create more issues than it solves. Is it risky to not have a fistula operated on?

Thanks so much for reading and for any advice you can offer.

Andy

Last edited by Starnett; 11-12-2017 at 06:20 PM.
11-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #1759
Quintonrich

My Support Groups:
Hi Andy,
It's all according where the fistula is positioned, if it's too close to the sphincter as in my case I had two setons inserted. That was June this year, last weekend I had one seton removed because one of my two fistula's had healed enough for it to safely be layed open to heal. The second could not be risked and will be re-examined in eight weeks.
I have now had three surgical procedures, after a couple of days on pain killers am OK, but I do have a couple of weeks off work.
Hope this helps
Richard.
11-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #1760
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi Andy,

I have had several, like 14 surgeries for abscesses/fistulas. What finally got me healed was having a cutting seton placed by a colorectal surgeon. I wish you the very best. I think you could rest assured that they won't make things worse. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon and tell him if it is too risky to err on the side of caution. That's what I did.

Finest regards,

Chris

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses Support Group