Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses Support Group

05-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #151
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
This might sound stupid but if they cut open my perianal abscess is a chunk of meat gonna be missing down there or will the whole anal area return to normal?
05-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #152
zazasnana

My Support Groups:
In my experience it returned to normal.
05-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #153
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Yeah I'm back to normal too! You do have a chunk missing at first. Thats why you have to pack it to make sure its healing from the inside out. Then it should get up to skin level.
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
05-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #154
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
A chunk missing seems so disturbing. So the skin tissue just regrows and fills the entire crater? I'm being dramatic but this is new to me.
05-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #155
pipmom

My Support Groups:
Granulation of new tissue from bottom of wound up to surface is normal healing process. You may have to pack wound with what physician recommends. If you can tolerate high protein diet, really important for healing.
05-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #156
Grouchy

My Support Groups:
A chunk missing seems so disturbing. So the skin tissue just regrows and fills the entire crater? I'm being dramatic but this is new to me.
Not to be too graphic here, but after my fistula broke through the skin, when I passed gas I could feel it coming out of two openings (down there). The normal one and an abnormal one. Yes it was painful. After the fiistulectomy there is only one opening. It might be bigger (ha) but then it feels much more normal.
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #157
zazasnana

My Support Groups:
I didnt have to do any packing. I kept a little round pad over the fistula site as it healed. Its not completely healed yet, the best i could describe it is its an incision, they remove the fistula and you are left with healthy tissue that will heal just like any other wound or cut. Its not bad at all. I found these little round pads at walmart that i believe are used for makeup removal. they come in a stack packaged in plastic. they are with cotton balls and the like. They are cheap and they really work well for this.
05-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #158
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm no expert but if a tiger bites a chunk of your skin, that isn't going to grow back? I'm confused why this does grow back after abscess or fistula removal.
05-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #159
zazasnana

My Support Groups:
You know its really hard to explain it. You can go to utube and see a video of the actual surgery. I watched one before i had the procedure because i didnt feel it was being explained to me well. A picture is worth 1000 words.

Last edited by zazasnana; 05-23-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: change wording
05-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #160
SuzRose

My Support Groups:
I'm new to this forum & I'm no expert but here's what I know from what I've dealt with so far..

Think of an abscess as a zit (except an abscess hurts majorly). When you have an abscess (depends on the type of abscess & where it is) down below it grows rapidly and causes a great deal of pain. When the abscess bursts sometimes that junk within doesnt completely drain out & the wound may or may not close up before all that junk came out in which case would only turn around & just swell back up & you're back to enduring pain all over again within a matter of days. When a physician lances (punctures the area, sometimes it's a surgical procedure) the abscess then drains & they clean the infectious material out of there. The wound site is cut open. I've had different abscesses. First abscess was a result from partial colon removal (12/2003) & was located on my right abdomen & was about 4" wide incision (1/2004). The packing of the gauze was ungodly painful until I learned the trick. Doctors will tell you the wound site must "heal from the inside out". The gauze must be saturated in saline solution every time you change the gauze. When you take the gauze out squirt some saline solution into the wound 1st before you take gauze out (because the wound will most likely be dry which causes the gauze to stick to your wound. Pulling dry gauze strips from a dry wound causes pain & irritation to the area-you dont want that). Anyway the wound site must be covered with larger pieces of gauze. As weeks go by that wound area slowly heals, getting smaller from the inside of the wound to the outside thus for closing the 'hole' up.

For 2 years now I have been dealing with Bartholin gland cysts forming abscesses repeatedly. Then ironically those abscesses disappeared & I had an abscess located in left butt cheek in which a GI RN tells me it's a Bartholin abscess but I knew it wasnt. I've had too many Bartholin abscesses to know better. Anyway, since Nov 2012 I've been dealing with abscess formation because of a fistula I've had 6 years & nobody wanted to do anything about it. In Feb this year I met with a surgeon who suggested I have a vaginal seton (4/13). Within 2 days after surgery an abscess on the left & right side (butt cheek) had surfaced. Since April I have been on Flagyl (YUCK!). As of now the abscesses are gone (or at least not surfacing to where I can feel any 'nub'). I will still be on Flagyl for another month to make sure I'm clear of any infection prior to the surgeon removing the seton in June. At any rate, it depends on where the abscess is, the size, the phase of the disease & other factors that determine how the abscess and fistula should be treated. Most doctors tell me they dont want to operate on a fistula unless they REALLY have to. They say they are very complicated & hard to find.

nogutsnoglory...A tiger biting off your skin is not the same thing as infectious material growing inside your body that causes an abscess. Abscesses if not drained/cleaned properly will continue to return. Fistula... they have a mind of their own. If they are causing problems then a seton is put in place. That means the fistula tract is closing up before the infectionous material drained out. Which then caused it to fester back up. A seton is placed in the fistula tract so the area has a chance to drain out the nastiness & keeps that tract open so it can heal properly. Once that heals the seton comes out and the 'Advancement Flap' procedure is where the seton comes out & a flap of skin is then sewn over the hole (like a skin graph) to insure (hopefully) that the fistula tract doesnt reopen and/or reinfect. From what I've read the Fistulotomy with Seton surgery or the Advancement Flap surgery is NO guarantee that it will be successful.

Another note.. the surgeon tells me that if Crohns is 'non-active' (in remission) that both surgeries have a better success rate then if a person is in a flare.
05-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #161
Essieluv

SuzRose, you must be one tough fighter! I absolutely hate Flagyl, it always makes my guts messed up. I hope you continue to heal and don't have any more problems
05-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #162
SuzRose

My Support Groups:
Thank you Essieluv. I've been told I'm much stronger than I think I am, lol. Flagyl is just a gross pill to start with lol. Flagyl seems to be the only antibiotic that hits the spot (so to speak) so I've had no choice but to get used to it. I have asked for something else but Flagyl seems to be the #1 remedy. Currently I'm in remission apparently (or at least that's what the surgeon told me when I had the seton surgery in April) so I'm eagerly looking forward to better days. In the earlier post I had stated I had been dealing with abscesses since Nov 12'... that's actually partially incorrect info. In 2011 I dealt with reoccurring Bartholin Gland Abscesses and was on antibiotics for 7 months. They just would not heal. The GYN doctor just gave me antibiotics for it every time they returned (which was usually about 2 weeks after being off antibiotics). Then the Bartholin Abscesses kind of cleared up for awhile (I was dealing with Bartholin Cysts for months that didnt get infected/form abscesses) in early 2012 but then all of a sudden there was the Bartholin Cysts enlarging but didnt form abscess(es) however though I had a new 'thing' that was quite like a Bartholin Abscess but since it was in the butt cheek I knew it was something else but what? This 'new thing' I nicknamed the '3rd knot'. Meanwhile this '3rd knot' festered up rather quickly I had no issues with the other cysts ironically. But anyway, obviously the '3rd knot' was gone by the time I had the Seton put in on 4/19. I handled that surgery beautifully with no pain. I only had pressure (then the other 2 abscesses formed, knots #4 and #5). I strongly believe that I only handled that surgery well because of dealing with so many abscesses in the past & the pain associated with them. I'm hoping I handle the Advancement Flap surgery well also. And yes I hope everything turns out well so that I can finally venture out(side) into the real world for a change. I've been through a lot & I try to explain myself so people understand me & I try to inform others of what they may/may not be in for. Crohns is a tough subject to explain period! I like to be well informed of what I'm going to be dealing with.

Sorry for the long post. ;-)
05-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #163
KWalker

I have a large chunk of skin missing from my surgery. I now have a nice 7.5 inch "ditch" that looks like a WW2 war scene. Mine really is a mess down there and after this long, I have my doubts it will ever heal properly.

I'm dealing with another rather large abscess at the moment that I'm currently taking Cipro and Flagyl as well as draining it myself in hopes that I can avoid surgery.

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
05-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #164
zazasnana

My Support Groups:
I guess the healing depends on the severity of the fistula. I had a small maybe 1.5 inch incision. Its healing well so far.
05-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #165
Grouchy

My Support Groups:
KWalker: how long will you be taking Cipro along with the Flagyl? That is - how many days will you be on Cipro?
05-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #166
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I just want to say, Ugh! Was doing so well, my two perianal fistulas hadn't been swelling or draining much since Remicade. But think I have either a new one, or something happening internally. Passing clotted blood and greenish pus when I go to the bathroom. Passing clotted blood is new for me, have only had bright blood before. Also my body temp is messed up. This morning I was low, and then had a low grade fever all evening.
05-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #167
Essieluv

I just want to say, Ugh! Was doing so well, my two perianal fistulas hadn't been swelling or draining much since Remicade. But think I have either a new one, or something happening internally. Passing clotted blood and greenish pus when I go to the bathroom. Passing clotted blood is new for me, have only had bright blood before. Also my body temp is messed up. This morning I was low, and then had a low grade fever all evening.
I'm sorry, that's not fun Green pus is always a sign of infection, so get it checked out. I hope everything gets better soon!!! Hang in there.
05-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #168
NancyP

My Support Groups:
Sad and glad to be referred to this forum. My 17 yr old has been fighting an abscess/fistula since February. She actually had what we thought was a vaginal abscess, even before her Crohn's was diagnosed. It returned about 9 months after starting Remicade, but resolved with IV antibiotics. This time, it took about 10 mos to return, and just won't go away. We did notice that it returns each month with her cycle.

When it first flared, the surgeon put in a drain, which stayed in for about 10 days, then it seemed to be healing so we took it out. Her GI recommended we start 6mp, but we were hesitant, so we waited. When it returned a month later, the surgeon put a drain in, in the office, but that came out on it's own, in a few days. Last time, they took her to surgery again, put in the drain and said it would stay in "for a long time". It has been about 3 1/2 weeks, and she says she can feel the abscess pushing up away from the drain.

We are in the process of getting her started on the 6mp and praying that this will be her golden ticket to remission, and healing of the fistulas.
Anyone have other suggestions we should be considering? I'm not willing to consider birth control to suppress the cycles, due to the high incidence of breast cancer in our family. Wondering if she should consider some other kind of immune system boost around that time of the month.
05-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #169
Jo-b1

My Support Groups:
Hi,I'm sorry for your daughter having to go thru this cruel thing,there is lots of vitamins etc that helps, vitamin d3 liquid is great for keeping crohns on its toes,Vit C is good,we have this product in new Zealand called immuneifort that's great, maybe there something similar in US,I'm having MRI scan to see what mine doing as they been flaring up which they haven't done for years since I had an illeostomy
05-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #170
NancyP

My Support Groups:
Thanks Jo, I'm going to see if I can get her to take some vitamin supplements. She tells me she is so tired of taking pills---for pain, then antinausea meds, since the antibiotics and pain pills make her sick, etc etc. Some days I feel like one med just leads to a chain of events that makes her worse. So hard to know what to do!
05-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #171
SuzRose

My Support Groups:
Crohns has a mind of its own so it's difficult to try calming it down. I've always been told smoking as well as diet, stress etc makes Crohns much more difficult to manage. I myself hate to take so many pills daily. I dont take vitamins. I eat what my brain & colon agree on. However it mostly depends on the time of day that I eat certain items. I dont adjust my diet because I can eat something one day that will tear me up but it wont bother me the next day. So I dont even try to figure out my 'trigger foods'. As with me, the disease works in it's own 'cycle'. I have not changed anything in the past 6+ years (any form of dieting, supplements, stress or smoking cigs less/more) to ease any symptoms because nothing had made it better or worse. In the 13 years since I've been diagnosed with Crohns I've had 'phases' where abscess would return for months and months & then disappear for 5 years & then magically start again- again I didnt do anything different than before. As I stated in a previous post (that I've been told I'm in remission since April) I once again have not changed anything (except for repeated antibiotic use for the abscess that keeps returning)yet I'm in remission. Basically what I'm getting at is that Crohns is different for everyone & causes so many things to go haywire. It is complicated to figure out. It's stressful when you cant find the answers by analyzing your trigger foods or what you think you may be doing wrong etc. Sometimes it just does not matter what you do. So in my opinion, it works in it's own 'cycle' no matter what I do/dont do. So if you find that nothing you do helps the condition then let it take it's course. I'm not saying to give up! Just let it do it's thing & it eventually will get better. Though sometimes it takes a lot of suffering & a lot of resting etc before 'it' decides to clear up. It's very hard to deal with it all during that time but eventually it will pass, be strong. You have to make the best of the ups & downs the way YOU know how. Keeping a journal also helps to track things for you since there's a lot to deal with & one cant possibly remember it all, trust me... it comes in handy. Best luck to all :-)
05-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #172
SuzRose

My Support Groups:
While your are on Remicade you're supposed to notify the doctor of fevers. Green pus & fevers is not a good sign dear, you should call your doctor asap because you need to be seen or need antibiotics pronto or both. Did you mean that the perianal fistulas are infected & causing abscesses possibly within the fistula tract? I've never heard of fistula swelling but I dont know everything either. How long have you been on Remicade? I had allergic reactions to Remicade many years ago & was switched to Cimzia for a couple years (a few years back) specifically to help close the fistula tract- didnt work. Went on Humira... didnt work. I havent been on a TNF blocker since early 2012. Did you mean that you're body temperature is messed up because of possible chills along with low grade fevers? If thats the case that means your body is trying hard to fight an infection.

Bright red blood is nothing to worry about from what I've been told. I believe its the dark red blood that is of concern as it indicates a problem further up in the colon region.
05-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #173
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
While your are on Remicade you're supposed to notify the doctor of fevers. Green pus & fevers is not a good sign dear, you should call your doctor asap because you need to be seen or need antibiotics pronto or both. Did you mean that the perianal fistulas are infected & causing abscesses possibly within the fistula tract? I've never heard of fistula swelling but I dont know everything either. How long have you been on Remicade? I had allergic reactions to Remicade many years ago & was switched to Cimzia for a couple years (a few years back) specifically to help close the fistula tract- didnt work. Went on Humira... didnt work. I havent been on a TNF blocker since early 2012. Did you mean that you're body temperature is messed up because of possible chills along with low grade fevers? If thats the case that means your body is trying hard to fight an infection.

Bright red blood is nothing to worry about from what I've been told. I believe its the dark red blood that is of concern as it indicates a problem further up in the colon region.
I guess when the fistulas swell up it means they are abscessing? They turn into sometimes golf ball size lumps in my groin.. It's so very fun.. Not. Then they usually break on their own and drain. (I've already had two fistulectomy's)

I've been on Remicade since January, I had been feeling really good until a couple of weeks ago and since then I have been on a gradual decline.

My body temp has been low and then high. Usually take my temp when I'm feeling ill, in case I have to go to the doc and they ask. Yesterday I woke up with nausea, took temp, was on the low side for me, and then after work took it again to see if I had regulated, and Inhad a low grade fever. Today I'm normal, 36.5, but feeeling unwell and very tired. I stayed home from work.
05-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #174
copeland

My Support Groups:
I guess when the fistulas swell up it means they are abscessing? They turn into sometimes golf ball size lumps in my groin.. It's so very fun.. Not. Then they usually break on their own and drain. (I've already had two fistulectomy's)

I've been on Remicade since January, I had been feeling really good until a couple of weeks ago and since then I have been on a gradual decline.

My body temp has been low and then high. Usually take my temp when I'm feeling ill, in case I have to go to the doc and they ask. Yesterday I woke up with nausea, took temp, was on the low side for me, and then after work took it again to see if I had regulated, and Inhad a low grade fever. Today I'm normal, 36.5, but feeeling unwell and very tired. I stayed home from work.
I've been having a lot of problems with my fistulas and fevers recently. My doc put me on Flagyl about a week ago now, and it's helped a lot. the draining pus has cleared up a lot, and I'm feeling better. I think these things just get infected from time to time because of their location.
05-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #175
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've been having a lot of problems with my fistulas and fevers recently. My doc put me on Flagyl about a week ago now, and it's helped a lot. the draining pus has cleared up a lot, and I'm feeling better. I think these things just get infected from time to time because of their location.
Oh I'm no stranger to cipro and flagyl. I've been off and on it for almost 8 years.

I wouldn't normally be concerned if I weren't on Remicade. I did call the clinic today, the secretary is going to get back to me after she docs to my doc.
05-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #176
SuzRose

My Support Groups:
AlliRuns, I surely hope the doctor gets back with you asap! Flagyl is the #1 choice for doctors/surgeons to prescribe. Is your system getting immune to those antibiotics? Also, when you suspect an abscess forming you should notify your doctor asap so it doesnt fester up & the pain & suffering as well. I would think with the condition you're in (because of that nasty green pus) that you may need to have your abscesses surgically lanced so it can be drained for it to heal properly.

http://www.fascrs.org/patients/condi...scess_fistula/
05-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #177
Irish86

My Support Groups:
Thanks for writing back! Love Suzy myself dealing with a fistula for seem like forever pops then back again. As I sit on it hurts and smells that's what gets me the smell! I can smell me through my body Dr says right like I'am dumb. Can only do cipro cause flagyl makes me stomanch sick. On 6mp for 3 years now like all before as not help me. Dr last time I saw her said if I take myself of 6mp I will have maybe 3mths tops to live. She says disease will attack with vengances. I trudge like we all do! Good luck to all
05-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #178
Irish86

My Support Groups:
AlliRuns, I surely hope the doctor gets back with you asap! Flagyl is the #1 choice for doctors/surgeons to prescribe. Is your system getting immune to those antibiotics? Also, when you suspect an abscess forming you should notify your doctor asap so it doesnt fester up & the pain & suffering as well. I would think with the condition you're in (because of that nasty green pus) that you may need to have your abscesses surgically lanced so it can be drained for it to heal properly.

Suz my Dr say no to surgery for a c-tan I think there call will make my area down to weaker. What that means ?????????
05-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #179
SuzRose

My Support Groups:
Depending on the size and abscess location if the abscess has completely healed you shouldn't feel any lumps or any hard skin nubs on the surface of your skin or when you press the area you should not feel any hidden pockets underneath the skin. If you still feel lumps etc then ask for more anti's because obviously it still is present. If you run out of anti's & dont ask the doctor for more you wont be able to rid your system of the bacteria and it will return. And I agree with you about them getting infected because of location.
05-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #180
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:

Flagyl doesn't do anything for me anymore. I've had lots of it. Im passing the pus in my stool or sometimes instead of stool, so it's definitely internal. Feels like needles in my rectum!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses Support Group