• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions for those who have had surgery

For those of you that had surgery for Crohn's:

Question: Did they find anything other than what they thought? Was the stricture more or less? Cancer? More ulcers? Any little surprises? I want details.

Trying to get a handle on how accurate pre-surgery tests are and wanting to be prepared for any surprises. My minds wandering to the doctor coming in after surgery say, "WOW, we were real surprised to find ____!"

:eek2: Before you think I am just anxious and paranoid -- I come by it honestly. In 2007 Heart test showed possible blockage so I had a Cardiac Catheterization (the tube through the thigh). During the test Dr said "WOW, that is a really bad clog in a really bad area!" (Amazing how quick the sedation left my body). Test revealed serious left main artery blockage. I needed immediate open heart surgery.

OK, I admit I'm letting my mind run rampant at the possibilities. I just really, really want to know as much as possible to be prepared to ask the right questions.

Thanks,
Robin

Hi Robin
Can't answer your question, but I don't think you're being unduly anxious or paranoid at all... even without the "benefit" of bad past experiences.
Can't believe the Doc said that mid-procedure... I'm not a Doctor, but common sense would say to wait until the end of the procedure before giving you the bad news!

Hi Heart of Wisdom,

I just had a diverting ileostomy six weeks ago for my Crohns...which wasn't to treat a stricture but I'll answer as best I can. My doctors did not find anything out of the ordinary while they were doing my surgery, they just confirmed what we already knew and got a better look at it. I'm not sure of this, but I think (depending on the type of surgery) that its just like getting a really complete colonoscopy (my procedure was laproscopic, can't speak to more invasive procedures).

Perhaps the most important thing though is, if you're having colon surgery, you'll almost certainly be totally knocked out. If they find anything serious, they'll probably only tell you about it after the procedure. My impression (and again, I have no personal experience with this) is that if they find things worse then they expected, then the doctor exercises their judgment in resecting more or less of the intestines....

Anyway, hope this helps...though I'm not sure I really addressed your concerns.

erin

my docs didn't find out anything they didn't already know, except that they did it at the right time.

my large intestine was ready to pop in several places, so i'm glad i was scheduled on that day:D

F

frenchfrog

heartofwisdom,

I just got home today from the hospital where I had surgery for Crohn's. They did find an abscess which means that I woke up with a tube coming out of my stomach, but other than that no surprises.

And of course the doctor waited till after the procedure, but seeing as I was completely knocked out, it kinda makes sense.

Good luck!

Kev

My operations were cake walks... the surgery was uneventful, the recovery was a lot less than I was lead to expect, and I had no post op complications. A surprise?

Wellllll, they told me the last op cured me.... that belief lasted less than 7 weeks, when it all came back, faster and worse than before the operation. But I had the 7 weeks of feeling great and thinking I was cured... Que sera, sera.

May be you don't want the balancing response. After they took out my colon they found cancer - not big. I was in the 20% that don't register with the test. Better to find out after they took it away. Just means I have been watched more closely afterwards.

Good luck

My op went fine. But it was a pretty simple looped ileostomy unlike others on here.

I was up and about the next day (I even had a shower the night of the op) and released the following week.

1 week spent at home, bored stupid, and at work the following week. 2 weeks after the op.

F

frenchfrog

Hi heartofwisdom,

Thought I would add a few more thoughts... As I said previously my surgery went fine, but 2 days after leaving the hospital I was miserable at home, with diarrhea every 5 minutes and intestinal pain as well as zero appetite. I am back in the hospital now, turns out I got a C-difficile infection the first time I was in the hospital. So these things can happen.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that recovery is different for everyone, and I'm sure it depends on the specifics of the operation. Personally I am having a hard time, just starting to feel better now. Best of luck to you