• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and Energy

Hi,

I am a 29 year old with Crohn's. I was diagnosed at age 20, tried a couple prescriptions to alleviate symptoms (Entocort and Pentasa) for a couple years when I was diagnosed, but nothing really helped and I had weird side effects to both Entocort and Pentasa --- skin rashes, sleep disturbances, stomach aches... So I've been drug free for 7 years now. The only prescription I take is birth control (Junel Fe) I also take a probiotic, zyflamend, boswellia, vitamin d, spirulina, iron supplement, and b-complex. I've been doing alright for a while now. I'm almost always bloated in my stomach, but I guess I've just gotten used to it. But lately I've been feeling so tired and foggy. I can sleep for 12 hours and still feel tired. Nothing really wakes me up. I'm in school and it's really stressful to not be able to focus. My stomach feels more bloated than normal and I'm considering medications, but I feel so lost. I don't have a good gastroenterologist, and I wanted to do some research into medicines before making an appointment. What medicines work for you, with your Crohn's symptoms? What medicines didn't work or made symptoms worse? If I could just be less bloated and more energized I really think I'd feel so much better. I hope there's a way. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :ghug:

Hi,

I am a 29 year old with Crohn's. I was diagnosed at age 20, tried a couple prescriptions to alleviate symptoms (Entocort and Pentasa) for a couple years when I was diagnosed, but nothing really helped and I had weird side effects to both Entocort and Pentasa --- skin rashes, sleep disturbances, stomach aches... So I've been drug free for 7 years now. The only prescription I take is birth control (Junel Fe) I also take a probiotic, zyflamend, boswellia, vitamin d, spirulina, iron supplement, and b-complex. I've been doing alright for a while now. I'm almost always bloated in my stomach, but I guess I've just gotten used to it. But lately I've been feeling so tired and foggy. I can sleep for 12 hours and still feel tired. Nothing really wakes me up. I'm in school and it's really stressful to not be able to focus. My stomach feels more bloated than normal and I'm considering medications, but I feel so lost. I don't have a good gastroenterologist, and I wanted to do some research into medicines before making an appointment. What medicines work for you, with your Crohn's symptoms? What medicines didn't work or made symptoms worse? If I could just be less bloated and more energized I really think I'd feel so much better. I hope there's a way. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :ghug:
You say you take a b complex, but most people with crohns can't absorb vitamins properly. I have to get b12 injections monthly. They are pure energy and natural so no side effects. Get your levels checked!! Low b can cause anemia, anxiety, and a host of unpleasant things including being foggy and dead tired ! Get checked and let us know :)

sounds like b12.

you need to take both forms methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin(dibencozide), in my opinion.

if that doesnt do much, iron or a source of antioxidants to help with oxidative stress, green tea is what i use.

You say you take a b complex, but most people with crohns can't absorb vitamins properly. I have to get b12 injections monthly. They are pure energy and natural so no side effects. Get your levels checked!! Low b can cause anemia, anxiety, and a host of unpleasant things including being foggy and dead tired ! Get checked and let us know :)
I should definitely try B12 injected. I've always wanted to but I've never really known how to ask my doctor for it and they've never offered it to me. I'll give it a shot --- no pun intended --- next time I go in for a visit. Thanks!

sounds like b12.

you need to take both forms methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin(dibencozide), in my opinion.

if that doesnt do much, iron or a source of antioxidants to help with oxidative stress, green tea is what i use.
Thanks for your feedback. I take b-complex and supposedly my levels for b12 based on a blood test are "normal" but does that mean I wouldn't be eligible for an injectable b-12? I should give it a shot. I also take iron supplements, drink green tea and lots of other teas, and though I have had a history of anemia, my last blood test said my iron and b ranges were normal.

Honestly I,d pester your doctor if your bloated or feel that way there's something going on that needs dealt with,can,t be very comfortable.if your b12 and iron are fine don,t think you need any supplements your dr wouldn't,t prescribe them.good luck