• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Whey protein/yoghurt/diary inconsistency

Hi,

I was diagnosed about two weeks ago and am still trying to find out which foods affect me in terms of symptoms

I don't seem to have lactose intolerance as can eat cereal and milk, and make smoothies with mild without any problems, as well as cheese.

However, yoghurt (plain no fruit) seems to cause really bad cramps, I also use whey protein isolate which is supposed to be very low lactose (just in case) and this causes the same

has anyone experienced anything similar, or do they have any idea what this might be

thanks in advance guys

Rob

Hi David,

Thanks I found the ingredients online
i hope this helps

Yoghurt is:
LOW FAT MILK, MILK SOLIDS, SUGAR, WATER, THICKENERS (1422, 440, 406), HALAL GELATINE, FLAVOURS, ACIDITY REGULATORS (330, 331), PRESERVATIVE (200), LIVE YOGURT CULTURES INC. S. THERMOPHILUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS & BIFIDOBACTERIUM.

Whey protein:

Key ingredientsMicrofiltered Instantised Whey Protein Isolate (Milk, Soy Lecithin), Cocoa Powder (5%), Amino Acid Blend (L-Lysine, L-Leucine, L-Histidine, L-Arginine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, Glycine, L-Tyrosine, L-Threonine, L-Methionine), Soy Lecithin, Flavour, Vegetable Gums (412, 415), Natural Colour (171), Anticaking Agent (551), Sweetener (955).

Contains Milk and Soy.

David

Co-Founder
Goodness. I think I'd be surprised if those DID NOT cause you issues.
Yoghurt is:
THICKENERS (1422, 440, 406), ACIDITY REGULATORS (330, 331), PRESERVATIVE (200),

Whey protein:

Vegetable Gums (412, 415),, Anticaking Agent (551), Sweetener (955).
I'm sure a couple of the above are ok (I don't have time to check them all) but for example, "Sweetener 955" is Sulcralose, also known as Splenda. Here on this forum we have this research which showcases how terrible it is for people with IBD.

Thickener 406 is "Agar" which can be used as a laxative. Just what a Crohnie needs.

Here is some interesting research about one common food emulsifier.

In my opinion, anyone with IBD should stay far, far away from products like these. If you can't pronounce what's on the label or it has a bunch of numbers after it, put it back. I believe this grand food scientific experiment we're unwillingly guinea pigs for will one day be shown to have contributed to many of our ills. Research is already beginning to show this.

Ah that makes sense!

Thanks so much! I have looked out or explicitly stated sweetness and things like high fructose corn syrup but it's not always clear so this makes perfect sense thanks very much!

David

Co-Founder
You're very welcome :) I'm at the point where I only buy organic whole foods. I even make my own salad dressings. The more research I do as I educate myself about IBD, the better I feel about the choice. I realize this is a very radical and fringe statement, but I feel a lot of the "food" on our store shelves is poisonous, especially to people with chronic conditions like IBD.

I couldn't agree more, especially when looking at the documentaries like 'supersize me' and wiritings by eric schlosser. It's not just those with IBD rates of diabetes are shocking as well as CJD and numerous other food scares from using a manufacturing, rather that natural farming approach to food.

Ironically before my diagnosis I was tyring to eat clean to gain weight, ju8st ensuring I cooked meals from scratch etc. Unfortunately my Ileum is severely inflammed so this limits choices and nutritional range, but i have to say a blender has been my greatest saviour during this flare, allowing me to put some wieght on again using smoothies with banana's, honey, milk etc. I'd love to get back to the whole food approach but it is hard when you are flaring it is like trying to find the middleground in two conflicting worlds esp. with fibre etc