• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What Career/Job Do You Have?

I'm new to this world, and I have to say it's VERY reassuring to read that many of you have demanding jobs! I taught elementary music for 10 years and am now directing a high school choral program at a very large high school in Texas. High school Choral Music in Texas is very demanding, but I absolutely love what I do and I have been worried about losing my ability to work.

I'm thankful for this thread!

I'm a hairstylist, so I am on my feet all day, which has been terrible for me in the past when I was at my worst. But my boss is very understanding, even before I had a diagnosis. I was jut diagnosed, however, so I haven't even started treatment! I'm looking forward to it though because I still have abdominal pain every day. Some day are worse than others.

Wow! I worked as a housekeeper . in Two nursing homes. I find patients working around sick and old people . I clean hotels. and schools. Now on SSI because of my health . I want to help but cannot commit afraid of my crohns acting up. But i'm looking. in the meantime I feel I can help others here!!:ghug:

I'm a nursing student, soon to be BSN RN, I currently work at the hospital as a PCA/PSA. Anybody else in nursing field? I'm nervous once I'm an actual RN it will be a bit tough with CD.

I was an RN. I'm retired now though. I'm sure it will be challenging, but at least they will be more aware of your predicament, I hope! Good luck to you.

D

Deleted member 400815

Welding instructor. I did repair and metal fabrication for a number of years but just couldn't keep up. What else to do people in a trade do when they can't "work" anymore?... go into education. Been doing it for five years now. Eh... it's okay, but I really miss building and fixing things daily.

i'm a pharmacy student and i work in a rite aid!! i love it. you'd be surprised how many people out there have the same problems/take the same meds as us

I'm an electronics engineer, currently designing equipment for radiotherapy treatment of cancer (Linear Accelerators - look up Elekta on google). Luckily, I car share, so the drive to work is every other week, so I sleep (helps the fatigue). My current employer lets me work from home 1 day a week, which is a massive help, but I still clock up over 40 hours a week.

ElRey, do you practice law, or are you in law enforcement? I'm an attorney, and sometimes it is super hard when I'm sick to make my deadlines.

I am a legal transcriptionist, which means that I listen to audio files of claims adjusters interviewing people who have gotten into car accidents, had their homes broken into, etc., and type every word I hear. It can be incredibly boring as I type for eight hours a day and my pay is based on production, but from time to time, I do get to hear a ridiculous story.

I'm a Game Designer. I spend my days coming up with ideas and mechanics for video games for mobile devices (iOS and Android). As Lead Game Designer I need to manage the game design team, and also make sure that the artists and programmers do not deviate from my vision for the game.

Hi I'm new to this, soon to return to work. I'm an occupational therapist in a hospital very nervous about returning but after reading all your comments slightly more reassured. How do you cope on your feet all day some evenings now(whilst not working) I can hardly walk what's it going to be like when I do.

I am a writer, actor and director. Having a career that is just as unstable and unpredictable as IBD sometimes, and it can be very difficult. I have had to pull back on my acting while I've had chronic active disease, but writing (I write mainly for film and theatre) is good because it can be flexible and I can work hours to fit around how I am feeling.

Hi, I'm a bar manager, I work 11 hour shifts until 6/7am and I don't sit down for the whole shift. At the moment it's really making me exhausted! Love seeing the interesting jobs people do!

I retired from the secret service worked 12 hour days and nights 7 days a week. When I retired I started my own company that uses Border Collies to chase off unwanted wildlife from properties. thinking back, 12 hours a day would be part-time. lol As I am sure most of you who travel. I have every available restroom located just incase.

Hi,

I was diagnosed in my second year of student nursing and despite being in and out of hospital I am now coming to the end of my course and will be a qualified nurse from August 2014! However this has only been possible thanks to the support of my university and placement trust. Luckily most jobs are very supportive and helpful when it come to having a long term condition.

I hope you still manage to do something you enjoy!

I work two jobs. I am a childcare practitioner that works with children aged 2years-12years and i also work with additional needs children. My jobs are challenging but i enjoy them very much.

I am a computer help desk analyst so I deal with a lot of people. The job is stressful which I don't think is helping the crohn's at all. I'm thinking I might need to find a new job so my stress level isn't so high :(

I went to school for and currently work in the film industry. It's a great industry to work in, just depends what you are doing. I currently work at a commercial production company where we have normal 8 hour days and good flexibility to work at home if necessary. However I used to work on movie sets that would require 16 hour days (this was before I was diagnosed with Crohn's) but unless I'm flaring up I don't see why I couldn't make even the longest days on my feet work.

I'm actually looking into going back to school to become a nutritionist. Since being diagnosed a little over a year ago I have become very interested in healing through diet. Working as a nutritionist will allow me flexibility and also an understanding of how to maintain digestive issues, I can't wait!

I wish I still worked. I retired at age 55. The stress of taking public transportation every day w was too much on my body. I had considered a part time job but I don't know if I am staying in this area.

I am a professor. I would have left probably by now but the winter and summers off have been really good to me to help me heal.

I work as a technician at an aquarium.
Been working in technical jobs for the last 15 years. Both electrical and mechanical.

i make money on the intranets lol no seriously i do, i do business online in a few ways, i publish digital online training products and also import products from china and using online sales channels to market them, and a couple other business models... it's great as this lifestyle allows me to work remotely from where i like with a laptop... works for me :)

I'm a special education teacher, working as a teaching assistant, because it is very tough to get a teaching job these days. I work with students who are emotionally disturbed with behavioral issues, so the job can be very stressful - mentally and physically. I actually have been out if work since February, due to a really bad first flare, and I'm hoping to go back to work in a few weeks. I'm a little nervous as to how my body will respond when I do get back to work, because I know stress is a trigger for me.:shifty-t:

I am/was a professor. In some ways, being able to organize my body around discrete blocks of time is/was great (i.e. class periods). But in other ways, it is/was not a great during flares because I often need/needed to go when lecturing and I have weakness/pain/concentration difficulties that interfere with writing and preparing class.

Also, I am an anthropologist so the travel and international locations make medical care, insurance, and treatment really tricky (I have had way too many fistula/abscess surgeries as emergencies in other countries). I think I might be "grounded" right now because of a very bad flare; I am also not working in part because of it. I am soon going back to school to get a library degree thinking that it might be a better disease match.

On a side note, I have found some academic communities outright hostile to IBD and other chronic illnesses. Not all, but some.

I'm a special education teacher, working as a teaching assistant, because it is very tough to get a teaching job these days. I work with students who are emotionally disturbed with behavioral issues, so the job can be very stressful - mentally and physically. I actually have been out if work since February, due to a really bad first flare, and I'm hoping to go back to work in a few weeks. I'm a little nervous as to how my body will respond when I do get back to work, because I know stress is a trigger for me.:shifty-t:
Hopefully you have supportive colleagues and administration. I'd recommend getting paperwork documenting your condition and indicating you may need sudden unscheduled bathroom breaks. That way if anybody has an issue, you can just tell them to see your paperwork. I'm an elementary music teacher, so I can certainly relate. I've only had one or two mini-flares during the school year, and I've taken a day or two to rest during the worst of it, and other teachers have been understanding when I've had to run to the bathroom between classes and might be a couple of minutes late getting back. Once I had to call the office to have someone come watch my class for an "emergency" trip. I've actually never sent in any official documentation of my condition, since my bad flare hit during the summer, so I didn't miss any work for it, and I have a good principal. Hopefully in the assistant position, it'll be a little easier to slip away for a few minutes if you need to--in my school, nobody seems to give the assistants a hard time about a bathroom break.

Right now, I am a full time high school student. My dream job is something in the medical field, specifically a radiologist. I am currently in the process of being diagnosed. I hope whatever I have doesn't affect the career choice I want.

I'm an idiot, and am an almost lawyer.

My Crohn's doctor said that around 30% of his patients are either in law school or lawyers; awesome.

I teach film and media in University. I also write about horror films and organise conferences. If I haven't had crohns and had to take time out, I would never have retrained and be in a job I love

I am a Supervisor for a company that processes leave of absence requests for large employers. Mostly Sedentary work with some travel throughout the States periodically. I work 60+ hours a week which has kept my health in a less than optimal level, but has never caused my health to decline where I miss more than a day or two a year due to my Crohn's.

i have just been diagnosed with Crohn's. I am 16 years old. I wanted to study medicine. But should I give up on this idea? Is this something that Crohn's will never let me achieve? I am so scared that I am in for a life on disability and have no future. I feel like now I'm going to have a crap life and be really poor and just exist. I'm really sad and scared. It's like I can't breathe when i think about the future.

DJW

Forum Monitor
i have just been diagnosed with Crohn's. I am 16 years old. I wanted to study medicine. But should I give up on this idea? Is this something that Crohn's will never let me achieve? I am so scared that I am in for a life on disability and have no future. I feel like now I'm going to have a crap life and be really poor and just exist. I'm really sad and scared. It's like I can't breathe when i think about the future.
Hi grumpy.bum,
Don't ever give up on your dreams. With a diagnosis treatment can start. Once you're in remission you will get your life back. The early days of diagnosis are extremely difficult.

Press on. We're all behind you.

Sending you my support and best wishes.

Grumpy.bum.

I second what DJW said above. I admire your desire and goal to become an MD. Go for it!

Despite your fears, life with Crohn's can be managed. Easy? No. Just another mountain to climb.

Hang in there!

Miles

others with Crohn's have gone on to medical school and have had successful careers as physicians . You may need to make adjustments along the way however you can adapt and overcome-there is nothing you can't do as long as you have the right mindset!. You can bring a special perspective in caring for your patients once you've completed your training.
Best wishes in following your dreams.

Dr JM1

I'm a Finance Assistant for an HIV/AIDS Charity. I really enjoy the job, my co-workers are great and my employers has been wonderful about my being sick and my recent hospitalisation. I'm very lucky to have a desk job and understanding employer.

Hi grumpy.bum,
Don't ever give up on your dreams. With a diagnosis treatment can start. Once you're in remission you will get your life back. The early days of diagnosis are extremely difficult.

Press on. We're all behind you.

Sending you my support and best wishes.
Amen

I am a first grade teacher...Some days are completely exhausting where I literally collapse on the sofa when I get home. I have great support from my co-workers who understand when I have to go, I really have to go! Stress is a factor for me as well.

I work as an infectious disease epidemiologist for state government. I loveee my job. Though no where as exciting as portrayed in the movies, working on outbreaks is pretty awesome. I knew I wanted to work in my health care, but also knew I could not be a direct health care provider. I went to school for public health and epidemiology. I wouldn't mind one day working in chronic disease epi- studying IBD, unfortunately there is no money in that field at this time.

I'm a Plumbing & Heating engineer.

Unfortunately due to my ill-health it's not as plain sailing as I'd like but I do love my job.

I am a funeral director. I was involved in the funeral industry prior to my illness but I decided to stick with it anyway, and I'm really glad I did. I was at my worst point while I was in school and have gotten much better with treatment, but I wouldn't say I'm at 100% (more like 60 on a good day!). Even after working a day where I felt terrible from the start (and feel completely drained when I get home), it is worth it to me in the end because my job means so much to me. It's incredibly rewarding! :)

I am a qualified Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA). I was diagnosed while pursuing my qualification. I have been working as an Auditor and it involves a lot of running around and stress especially during the audit season. But I've been able to manage so far.
Now im in between jobs and my new job is as an accountant at one of Dubai's largest conglomerates. Its a desk job so i think it should help in my healing.

I was a police officer until a flare put me 40 pounds underweight. I am on permanent disability from them and went back to school, and now I am a professor of sociology. It works pretty good and I can just end class early if I have to go.

I work in the infosec field. I do consultations, product development, and lead teams. I've been lucky that my Employer and my customers understand and are supportive.

I work as a support worker in a disability home for young adults I've just be diagnosed with Crohn's in the last week well they say it is the likely cause as I had all the signs and had a ct scan that showed I had an abscess very painful and they said it was a secondary infection to Crohn's that never new I had I love my job and I don't want it to end they r very supportive

I was in marketing, a Marketing Director in the UK, but also worked for a USA company. I loved it, even though quite a stressful environment. But eventually had to give up and retired early. My Company were very understanding of my illness and I did work from home 3 days a week for ages to help, but had to stop altogether eventually. Though I was worried about retiring so early - age 50, it was the best thing and I have been better since as I have much more time to take care of myself. I feel so sorry for younger folk struggling to manage the demands of a career and this illness. xx

No don't give up. If I could have my time again I would go into medicine. Also don't make life decisions when you are not feeling well, wait until you are feeling better Everything passes, this time when you are feeling anxious and probably unwell will pass and then in the future you will be able to make decisions with a clear head. I know it seems scary, but you will learn to live with it and have a life. Good luck. xx

How wonderful for us all to be talking about something different and not our problems. Maybe we should do more threads about something positive to make us all feel better. Reading through this list of people makes me realise that despite everything we are all getting on with our lives.

I'm a RN. Worked for ten years in Hemodialysis, then decided it was time for a switch and moved into the Home Health arena. After 5 years of running the roads both day and night as a HH nurse, and my GI issues getting progressively worse and unpredictable, I opted for a "safer" position at our agency, working out of our office (and near that oh so necessary bathroom!) ;)
Am "semi-retired now" working 4 days/wk. Next year I can draw my full Social Security, so will probably drop down to 3 days/wk for a few years until I decide to fully retire.

Hi all. I'm brand new on here and haven't even set up my profile yet. I work as a traveling phlebotomist for the Red Cross. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2003. Had a rough time of it with lots of From 03-08. I was working ( or trying to) in the restaurant business during those years. That was not working to not to be able to use the bathroom when I needed to. When I went into remission in 08, I was lucky enough to be able to go to training with the Red Cross to learn phlebotomist skills. I have been with them for going on 6 years now. I've had 2 incidents of not making it to a bathroom in time and my co workers have been great about it! just in the last year I was promoted to where I can run Small blood mobiles so as u can see it hasn't held me back from accomplishing what I want. In the last couple of months I went on intermittent FMLA because I have been having a flare up. So far they are being very understanding about it and I've only had to miss 2 times at work. I love My job and hope that I can continue until I retire! I am 48. ;)

I saw a few people post as if giving up a career decision was a necessity for Crohn's Disease..which upset me! Crohn's Disease is not a life sentence... I have been sick since I was 11..and I am now a professional photographer..on my feet for hours on end (also with the whole arthritis shindig)! Do I have flares occasionally and have to take it easy? Totally..but I would have never reconsidered doing what I love! Be positive :)

Currently working as a carpet fitter and a mobile dj, also a piper in my spare time :) Crohn's is starting to affect it but not at the point where I will give any of it up! Was wanting a job driving HGVs but perhaps not the best idea now? Not so sure :)

DJW

Forum Monitor
Currently working as a carpet fitter and a mobile dj, also a piper in my spare time :) Crohn's is starting to affect it but not at the point where I will give any of it up! Was wanting a job driving HGVs but perhaps not the best idea now? Not so sure :)
I LOVE the pipes :)

I am a graphic artist, illustrator and musician. I used to be a creative director and art director but because of having 5 operations and now have short bowel syndrome and other problems I do not feel well enough to work full time.

I now mainly work part time as a Music Therapist and I love it! I also do graphic art and illustration work on occasion for friends when I feel well enough.

I am a self employed online game developer. I work from home and the bathroom is about 10 feet from my office. So it works well from a crohns standpoint. :)

Prior to this I was a developer for an Airlines.

I am a self employed online game developer. I work from home and the bathroom is about 10 feet from my office. So it works well from a crohns standpoint. :)

Prior to this I was a developer for an Airlines.
Awesome. I play lots of online video games. Have you worked on one that is published?

I am a Family Support Worker for social services. I work on an Intake Team and respond to crises situations and do some follow up work such as helping parents with addictions and poor life chances parent and manage their children. I work extra at an Out of Hours service doing the same with a lot of crises work which invokes going into people's homes who are in chaos. Some very dodgy situations as they usually involve misuse of alcohol and drugs. Until recently I also worked in residential child care with challenging teenagers but have had to give this up as not a safe environment for someone with a stoma.
I enjoy my work and the local authority I work for are great re my CD, treatment and hospital appointments. If I have to be off I am in full pay for 6 months and thanks to NHS in Scotland I do not have to pay for treatment, medication or stoma supplies.

I'm a high end waiter in downtown Chicago. I don't work at Chili's. I work at one of the most popular steakhouses in Chicago. I've waited on many celebs and athletes. I make triple the amount of the average teacher (sad). My job is incredibly difficult while having Crohns. No insurance, no job security, and the owners (my bosses) are crazy/greedy lunatics. 12 hr days with one hour breaks. 50+ hrs a wk. Waiting tables has got to be the worst job on the planet for someone with Crohn's disease.

Anyone have a career in Nursing I want to pursue this career but not sure if its a good idea. I have crohns and I get remicade every 8wks and 1500mg apriso a day.

Anyone have a career in Nursing I want to pursue this career but not sure if its a good idea. I have crohns and I get remicade every 8wks and 1500mg apriso a day.

I have been a nurse for 5 years, only known I have Crohn's for 1.5 but yeah it's possible, and it's a lot easier to talk about poo issues with people that deal with it everyday! I would say go for it!

I work for a telecommunications company doing customer service in a call center. I used to be a loyalty agent but they moved the department cross country.

It has been a hard time working over the last 6 months since I got a major flare up and still technically do not know f it is Croh's or not, but everything points to it. I finally have been taking prednisone, and it is great.

My work has short term and long term disability, and I left work in Feb and got disability pay (60% of normal pay minus bonuses), I tried going back to work for a few weeks but I was unable to do so and my work told me to either come back full time, be fired, or go back on LOA. So I went back on LOA and they denied my disability pay this time saying the symptoms alone were not enough to allow me to get pay, therehad to be a definiitve diagnosis. Which is not true, and I am in the appeals process for the last couple months. I am back to work since Aug 1st, and missing about 40-50% of my shifts. So, making less in pay tht I was on disability.

My doctor says I should stop working. Health and welfare and my doctor says I should go on disability. However, I am scared to do it. I am a father of two great boys and a husband of an amazing wife, and I am the provider. I almost have put my wife through college to get her Vet Tech degree, and I was to give my boys everything. However, the idea of staying home is nice because I also want to be the dad that is a house dad and helping kids with homework and all that.

So, the doctor and health and welfare all think I should go on govt disability and not work. I disagree, and I want to work, but I was to find a job that I can do while I having the illness.

In about a month we are potentially moving to Kentucky, meaning I will be leaving my job anyways unless I can go on a long term LOA and get long term disability from them, which I might be able to with the help from my doctor.

Either way, I wont be working there anymore..in the sense of actually working. I just don't think the government is going to grant me disability checks even if that is waht the doctors says I should do. ...not to mention I would not feel right about it.

I work in reception for the doctors surgery where I'm a patient. Its a but weird at times but they are amazing and understanding and I can always get to see someone if I need to. It's perfect for me and I adore my job and the people I work with.

I am a Zookeeper who specializes in Primates. I also work in the Zoos' Education Department running tours for school groups and for our guest camp outs.
It is very physically and mentally demanding, especially considering our Zoo is located on a steep hill.. Some days I literally feel like I am about to collapse or might need to crawl but I've always loved a fight with myself. It's probably not smart but I'm the type that will keep going until I literally do end up passed out in a heap of ape poo.

I have also just applied to university to study a Bachelor of Nursing to become a RN.
Do any RNs have any advice on how they handle the work load and stress?

I work for a telecommunications company doing customer service in a call center. I used to be a loyalty agent but they moved the department cross country.

It has been a hard time working over the last 6 months since I got a major flare up and still technically do not know f it is Croh's or not, but everything points to it. I finally have been taking prednisone, and it is great.

My work has short term and long term disability, and I left work in Feb and got disability pay (60% of normal pay minus bonuses), I tried going back to work for a few weeks but I was unable to do so and my work told me to either come back full time, be fired, or go back on LOA. So I went back on LOA and they denied my disability pay this time saying the symptoms alone were not enough to allow me to get pay, therehad to be a definiitve diagnosis. Which is not true, and I am in the appeals process for the last couple months. I am back to work since Aug 1st, and missing about 40-50% of my shifts. So, making less in pay tht I was on disability.

My doctor says I should stop working. Health and welfare and my doctor says I should go on disability. However, I am scared to do it. I am a father of two great boys and a husband of an amazing wife, and I am the provider. I almost have put my wife through college to get her Vet Tech degree, and I was to give my boys everything. However, the idea of staying home is nice because I also want to be the dad that is a house dad and helping kids with homework and all that.

So, the doctor and health and welfare all think I should go on govt disability and not work. I disagree, and I want to work, but I was to find a job that I can do while I having the illness.

In about a month we are potentially moving to Kentucky, meaning I will be leaving my job anyways unless I can go on a long term LOA and get long term disability from them, which I might be able to with the help from my doctor.

Either way, I wont be working there anymore..in the sense of actually working. I just don't think the government is going to grant me disability checks even if that is waht the doctors says I should do. ...not to mention I would not feel right about it.
Wasn't going to post here until I saw this since I no longer work:

I haven't been able to work at all in years. I was a Chef, there is absolutely no keeping that type of job not even knowing if you will make it in a full week every week, and not many other jobs I can imagine either. I do have two other chronic conditions as well though, but just this issue alone could do it if its severe ( and mine is severe, gotten more and more so as time has gone by ) so here's to all you troopers, I guess I'm a wimp, I couldn't do it, nor could my boss or foreseeable bosses afford to have a me that could be a call out at any time. :(

For anyone headed towards my boat, get a lawyer before applying for SSI, I found out the hard way they are needed, seven years in and still waiting for them to decide if I am eligible. This is with documented chronic sciatica and documented chronic prostatitis, my crohns or IBS or whatever it is I had already lost my coverage and was on GPA, so no tests or specialists were allowed, so for the past seven years its just documented as "unknown abdomen issues" as GPA only covers seeing your primary, once a year physical and at most once a month visits. Now am on medicaid so finally getting the tests and specialists I need done to find out exactly what it is. My primary said she is 99% sure its crohns or severe IBS though, which now that I have my coverage, let me to looking around and googling things which led me here.

Here's to all of you, stronger than me that are still trooping on.
I was told the same thing, getting on SSI isn't as easy as doctors think. This is my warning to you, if you do ( and if yours get worse, or doesn't go into remission you will need to if its already putting you out of work ), get an advocate right off the bat, have them file for you even. I did not, as I felt I had two known chronic issues which are right on the SSI list and probably a third one. I am in year seven now of waiting on them to decide. They do not care at all that you have zero income while they decide.

Crohns and IBD's are also listed SSI issues. Don't feel bad about it, you put into it all your life right ? Well this is why, maybe you thought of it as retirement, well consider this and early retirement life threw at you, through no fault of your own.

If you go into remission and are feeling up to it, by all means, go back to work, SSI even offers a part time program to help people do that very thing, or just to supplement ( you are allowed to work so many hours a week, in a year before it affects your SSI payments ) their SSI.

As it says in there I was a Chef, added that as I am posting here even though wasn't going to. :yfaint:

Thanks for the info. I have family members who have been dealing with the SSI and al the BS. It is a great deal harder than most Doctors even realize.

For me, I would love to be a writer. I have the skill, and I have done freeance writing for clients. I am working on a novel (well more than one) to publish on kindle, but it takes a long time. I am around 10K words right now on my current project, and aiming for 90-100K.

My wife is three months from completing her degree. Going to cost us about 600 bucks to get her back to class and do her externship ...all she needs is just an externship, she already pased all her classes, but we cannot find the 600 bucks to do it.

If wecan, then when we move, if we move, I am going to have her finish her externship and she will be the bread winner. ..and I will be the home daddy and the writer and push myself to spend as much time writing as I would have at a normal job.

I was good at my job too. Making bonus every month and more. I missed almost the entire last two days of work, though. THe prednisone killed me with migrained this morning. I could not see straight and by the time I felt up to going into work, I was already called in. However, the prednisone, aside from side effects, is AWESOME and has totally stopped all the diarrhea and most of the pain. I know it is just a bandaid and a false remission for me, but I am enjoying it while I can. Its the first time in over 6 months I have felt normal.

I want to go on the disability leave from work, which will cover me for the next two years at 50% of my normal income, enough to get by, while my wife finishes her school and gets a job and we can stabilize.

I lost our family's apartment because my disability checks were over amonth late or so having to appeal. I flooded the bathroom from spending hours on the toilet and in the shower trying to clean myself up after defecating on myself or having lon bouts of diarrhea, so I accidentally damaged the floors and the landlord wouldn't work with us, even though I offered to pay for the damages..

Now we live with my mom, for a few months, while we prep to move.

I have two wonderful boys and the best wife anyone could ask for, and all I want is job that gives me the income and stability to provide for them. I do not care ot be rich. I dont care if I work til I die. I just want to make sure they are covered, and while it may seem irrational, I feel like a failure if I don't. I am not all heman and macho and think that only men should work...quite the contrary...its not my obligation to work and be the bread winner and make the most money..it is my responsibilty as husband and father to make sure the bills are paid and needs met and food on the table so that my wife can pursue her career and my kids can do what they want. It makes me happy.

However, working for over 6 1/2 years someplace, and I feel like they could care less about the issues here. I cannot get a clear diagnosis, and all I know is that I get 24/7 severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, and all sorts of fun stuff. and only lomotil and prednisone have helped at all. Imodium, and many other otc and prescription drugs did nothing or actually made it worse.

oving to kentucky is going to be hard enough. Where we are moving, there are very few jobs, and most of them are retail or jobs where I cant get the accommodation I would need.

I am praying that I can just go on a permanent LOA, get long term diability (which I completely qualify for..being that my work's disability pay only requires you to be unable to perform 20% of your material duties or miss 20% of your earnings and hours to qualify..and I miss about 40-50%) All they said was holding me back from getting disability pay was having a definitive diagnosis of my symptoms. If I can get the LOA and disabilty pay, then go to kentucky, get my wife through school, and get her a good job, then I can stay at home and write and be a dad. :)

My prayers out for everyone struggling with this, because I know I am not the most hard off. I may be homesless and hoping on a gofundme campaign that has only one donor in three months to fund gas money and cost to move, but at least I have my wife and kids and I would take that over being healthy and being single :)

It really makes me sad to hear that so many people are struggling so much financially while having to deal with this. I consider myself fairly lucky that I've not had to have huge amounts of time off work, but I do work part time and I try and rest as much as possible on my days off as this really makes a huge difference to me. People should not have to be in this position because their body is doing something they have no control over. I'm really sorry that this is your situation and I sincerely hope that things work out for the better for you. You seem like a really positive person and I really do wish for the best for you 😊😊😊😊

I do android tech support in a call center for a large wireless carrier. I haven't had too many problems so far. But hopefully starting on Humira, my body will quieten down soon.

I have also had to change the way I make a living due to Crohn's. Unable to work a normal job, I was forced to find a way to make a living from home. I currently do ebay sales and teach music lessons for a living.

But I have researched other work from home options and they are abundant these days. I have considered going back to school to become a paralegal or medical biller, both can easily subcontract or start their own business and make very good money. There are also IT jobs in high demand, data management and other computer fields that one can do from a laptop, sitting on a tropical beach if you want.

I'm actuly being diagnosed and on steroids at the moment.
I work In a nursery which means it is very difficult to suddenly rush off to the toilet because of leaving the room under staffed also not so easy to pick the children up when your not having a good day pain wise.
I have been looking for another job now as I've found they seem to be getting impatient with me and all my appointments anyway.