• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Resection, scarring, narrowing and obstruction?

Hey folks - a new member here, asking what might be a really easy question. And apologies in advance for the semi-graphic nature of it. I figure, if I cannot ask here, then where?

So, back in 1994 I had a resection that took ~10 inches of my intestine, for Crohn's/Ileitis.

Since that time, I (like most of us, I think) go through periods of good and bad. I have found recently that when it is 'bad', it feels like an obstruction. I'll tell you what I mean.

The pain is always in the same place, right where the surgery was in my lower right abdomen. I call it "The Old Wound". That's a obscure reference from the movie Excalibur...sorry :) And when it starts to hurt, I also notice that I am not moving my bowels....which for a Crohn's sufferer can be an odd sensation! At that point the pain increases in waves, as (I think) material attempts to move past that spot and has difficulty doing so.

Tyically within 12 hours I am vomiting, and am on a chicken broth and warm water diet for the next two days.

At the end of this time period I start to feel my 'tummy rumbling', with what feels like gas or liquid running through The Old Wound. It still hurts like crazy, but I know that I am back on track to feeling a bit better.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Love and Good Health
LittleJon

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Pen. I do take acidophilus/bifidus, and I eat yogurt (plain, no sugar) every day. And I try to get some chicken stock in me as well. Plenty of water, too.

I will most definitely take your advice on the enzymes. That seems like a good way to be protected, when your diet cannot be controlled as well as one would like (dinner out, friends house, business trip, etc)

Thanks so much. Honestly, just hearing from others who have the same issues is amazing. I mean, I really, really wish you DIDN'T! But you get the idea :)

Best
LittleJon

Before and after surgery

For the past two years, I have been contemplating the surgical resection of a 15 cm long stricture that is proximal to my ileo-ecal valve. I was first diagnosed with Crohn’s 20 years ago after being treated surgically for a peri-anal abscess. As far as I can remember, my stomach problems began at age 7 when I was treated with high doses of penicillin for Lyme Disease.

I was even scheduled for surgery at Stanford, but changed my mind a week before. I am really concerned about losing the ileocecal valve. It seems important. I would like to talk with more people who have had the surgery. I would like to know their state before and after the surgery. Mostly, I am concerned about diarrhea. Currently, I have a bout once a month, usually when I am stressed out and not eating well.

I am worried that if I have the valve removed, I will have much more frequent diarrhea. The trade-off is that now, I am kept awake by cramping several nights per month. I also wonder if I would have a lot more energy if I go ahead and get the surgery. The problem is that there is no going back.

Has anyone else agonized over this decision like me?
I would like to know anyone with this sort of personal experience?

I asked my doc before they did my resection about the ileocecal valve because I was going to lose it. I thought that I would have permanent D. He explained that I might have somewhat loose stools but that was it.

However, that is not the case. About 2-3 months after the resection, I was pooping solid foot longs, so to speak lol. No problems at all. Sure beats what I was pooping before it was removed.

At the end of this time period I start to feel my 'tummy rumbling', with what feels like gas or liquid running through The Old Wound. It still hurts like crazy, but I know that I am back on track to feeling a bit better.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?
exactly the same thing I've been having happen over the past year or so...

Dropped 10" of intenstine and a chunk-o-bladder about 10 years ago.
Everything was groovy until about a year ago when I had a big flareup that felt like knives twisting in my gut, and gave me a big ballbelly full o' gas.

Laid myself up for 3 days, then got that same rumbling and it cleared and got back on track.

Wasn't sure of the cause, because it was after a night of serious revelry and could have been attributed to a number of things... but have since had it happen about once every 1.5 months (in fact just had a flareup last night and am laid up in a hotel with soup broth and yogurt).

Noticed this post was from a long time ago...
Anything changed or helped for you?
Got any tricks for getting on thru it?