• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira with methotrexate vs without it

I've been on Humira for a few months now and have been on methotrexate for about 6 years. I am getting SO fed up with the methotrexate because it makes me feel sick and crap every time I take it, so I'm considering asking my consultant if I can come off the methotrexate and just keep going with the Humira alone.

I've read that Humira works better with Methotrexate though so I just wanna know if anyone here has any experience of taking Humira without mtx and how well it works on its own.

Thanks in advance

I was on methotrexate for about 8 months before my doc added Humira to the mix. I also had the same tired/sick feeling after taking the MTX, so after a few months on Humira, my doc said I could stop taking the methotrexate, and Humira alone seemed to work for me for almost two years. Just had a flare though, so I wonder is staying on the MTX would have prevented that...

I took MTX with Remicade and it worked good. I had a GI Dr tell me I needed to get off the MTX. When I stopped the MTX things got worse. Around the same time I had my gallbladder out. So I was never sure whether it was going off the MTX or having my gallbladder out. It took 3 years for me to finally get some relieve with Entocort and Pentasa. I was taking 20mg of MTX orally to start with and had no side effects. I had worked my way down to 12 1/2mg after a few years. What ever you decide I hope it works for you.

I too was on both Humira and Methotrexate, still on Humira and off the dreadful Methotrexate! I didn't feel an improvement with the combo, only felt worse...itchy rashes, headaches, mosquito bites that didn't heal (I have gotten tattoos they healed in 1week while just on Humira alone) dizzy, cough, short of breath, heavy chest and chest pain, severe gut pain...so I went off if it on my own. Felt better within 2 weeks.

I too was on both Humira and Methotrexate, still on Humira and off the dreadful Methotrexate! I didn't feel an improvement with the combo, only felt worse...itchy rashes, headaches, mosquito bites that didn't heal (I have gotten tattoos they healed in 1week while just on Humira alone) dizzy, cough, short of breath, heavy chest and chest pain, severe gut pain...so I went off if it on my own. Felt better within 2 weeks.
Hi Sugar,

When you stopped the MTX, did you do it cold turkey or did you taper it down? I have been on MTX for 16 months now and have been tired the entire time. I started Humira 5.5 months ago. The Crohn's and arthritis are much better but I am still super fatigued and nauseous. I want to stop the MTX as I know that it is the culprit. Not sure my docs will approve though as they both (GI and rheum) have told me that you need it to prevent antibodies to the Humira. I am willing to take the chance if I can have more of a life.

Jonique

I'm on Humira at the moment and don't think it is working that well. Considering adding MTX as well, but have been hesitant because I may want to have another child in a year or two and you need to be off for at least 6 months before conceiving.

Have a GI appointment tomorrow, so let you know if I decide to go that route.