• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vegetables - what can you/we eat?

There are many different diets out there from Paleo,SCD,Low Residue,Low Fiber, etc.
I have seen many threads on overall food but not a focus on healthier food options like veggies. There are also many juicing threads. But what about simply eating veggies. What can you all do? I have been scared to simply try because of all the conflicting information out there.

Safe Veggies vs Unsafe Veggies
How do you eat them - Raw, Cooked/Baked, Steamed, Only Juiced.

I am able to eat cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans and carrots. That is all. I truly miss salad and when I am well, I can tolerate ice berg lettuce, but I ate a bit day before yesterday and it was not good yesterday!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I think there are general 'safe rules' out there that act as a guideline but at the end of the day it is highly individual.

My daughter has Crohn's and has been in remission since having surgery almost 7 years ago. I know her diet would not suit many, perhaps most people here?

She is vegan and tends to go between that and raw vegan. So for her vegetables cooked or uncooked pose no real problem to her and when cooked she uses all methods of cooking. I don't think there are any vegetables or fruits that cause her issues just ones she doesn't like.

Following her ileal resection she can't tolerate nuts or oils well. She already has bile salt malabsorption diarrhoea (she controls this with psyllium) but oils and nuts really set it off big time regardless.

She has also cut most of the sugar out of her diet. She does juice but steers away from juicing fruits, except for adding a lemon, due to the concentration of sugars that result from juicing. Hence fruits are eaten whole.

Dusty. xxx

I can eat anything, as long as it's in very small quantities. But the easiest for me - the ones I can have a bit more of - are root vegetables, well cooked or in soup. And avocado and banana for fruits.

I can eat anything, as long as it's in very small quantities. But the easiest for me - the ones I can have a bit more of - are root vegetables, well cooked or in soup. And avocado and banana for fruits.
Similar case with me. My family rang the ambulance for the pain a cob of corn put me in, but having small amounts in things like fried rice has little to no effect.

Potatoes, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Beans (When I am particularly well) and baby corn I seem to tolerate quite well. Cabbage is one of the things I am worse off with, but it seems as though as long as anything is steamed or boiled to the point it's a little bit soft it sits quite well. Overcooked veggies would probably go down even easier.

Remember though, it's subjective; and you need to do your own tests :)

Good luck!

EDIT: I just remembered that baked potatoes also do alright with me when I wrap them in foil to keep the skins somewhat soft.

Onions,spring onions,lettuce,coleslaw most salad stuff which I miss.vegetables are o.k if in doubt make veggie soup and blend it tastes great and is good for you

Vegetarian son recently went into remission and he is eating quite a bit of fruits and veggies, but it appears that too much fiber may be a problem for him, so I've started making him more smoothies and will continue straining his freshly sqeezed oj...doing well with cooked carrots and steamed baby spinach. I blend it up into a drink because he is a vegetarian who doesn't particularly care for vegetables. ;)

I can eat mostly all vegetables but in small quantities. I have two portions of veggies per day, usually one at each meal, though I can get away with both together. I consider a portion to be one large carrot or two small ones, a large handful of broccoli or mushrooms etc. Cooked is slightly better for me than raw, but I am ok with salads too.
Similarly, I have two portions of fruit per day (always peeled). If I stay within these limits I have no issues whatsoever. I start to notice the extra fiber though if I have more than this. I have started adding a glass of fresh juice per day in order to get more nutrients without the extra fiber.

Great news. Thanks for the updates. As mentioned, its case by case but still informative. Was just terrified trying anything because of all the conflicting advise of authors, diets, etc.
It seems for the most part most vegetables if steamed well or in a soup or make up the soup base are tolerated regardless if they moderately fiber heavy - such as spinach and broccoli and peas.