• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Interesting article about Crohn's and UC

DustyKat

Super Moderator
What greatly disappoints me in this article is that they perpetuate the myth that if you don’t have diarrhoea and/or blood as a presenting symptom then it isn’t IBD. :yfrown:

Counter-indicators: (Strongly counter-indicative)
Having hard stools or having normal stool texture
(Very/tendency to) infrequent stools

Dusty. :)

You know Dusty you are right! I am going to see if I can find a place to write them and get them to change that!
I just thought it was a good breakdown for those newer to Crohn's especially.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I hope my comment didn’t come off as a criticism of you posting the article Kim because I certainly didn’t mean it that way. :hug:

I hope you are able to get in contact with them hun and they listen to you! Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

Thanks. I always enjoy seeing links to stuff I missed.

I have my file of "medical articles to prove my child does not have Crohn's" from my denial days following his diagnosis. One of them is from a children's hospital and it an article written for primary care providers/pediatricians who are evaluating kids for IBD. To paraphrase (from memory..might have some facts wrong), it pretty much said, IBD is very unlikely if the child doesn't wake at night for bowel movements, hasn't had significant weight loss and doesn't have diarrhea. Of course, even when flaring, my child never woke for bowel movements (even after miralax prep!), had slowed weight gain but not loss and only had loose stools with antibiotics. Yet, he has Crohn's in multiple locations.

Maybe we should all write to authors kimmidwife is going to do. How many parents suspect a problem but don't' insist on a GI referral after reading info online that reassures them their child is just fine? How many of us have children who didn't have diarrhea? Didn't have significant weight loss? Didn't have mouth ulcers? Didn't wake to use the bathroom at night? From my own scanning of kids' histories here and elsewhere, the "atypical" presentations are more "typical" for kids. Even my peditrician was shocked my son had Crohn's because he didn't lose 10 per cent of his weight, didn't have bloody diarrhea and didn't have sever pain...so even those who should know kids don't have to present that way don't know...

my little penguin

Staff member
^^^ yeah that .
Unfortunately - stomach issues /constipation are such a common occurrence in a regular ped office - they can't send them all to a GI .
Our ped told us DS was fine just going to be a skinny kid and none of his stuff was a "real " concern.
He had rectal prolapse that was chronic
Severe abdominal pain/constipation
No weight gain (+2 years ).
Plus lots of other stuff.

Thankfully we didn't need a referral to be able to visit a GI.
Even the Gi didn't suspect crohn's at first but knew something was definitely wrong.
It took eight month to finally get a scope scheduled ( only due to rectal bleeding ) and dx crohn's .
Even then Gi was perplexed by DS presentation .
Almost three years later our Gi now councils all his fellows on crohn's that starts as constipation and uses DS as an example .

Maybe if more gi did that the perception would change .

mlp- how obvious was the rectal prolapse?Is that something a child can have and have it go unnoticed by a parent? (I see many references to rectal prolapse on this forum.)

Same here- we didn't need a referral and we self referred. The ped wasn't opposed as sshe is very reasonable, thorough dr but didn't think it was necessary. You're right- they can't refer/scope every kid with "minor" symptoms, but I wonder if fecal calprotectin tests would pick up more kids with ibd?

my little penguin

Staff member
Nope you didn't miss it .
Going into the scope gi was thinking colitis due to similar articles like above .
But DS has a few non caseating epitheloid granulomas in Ti and caecum so no denying crohn's;)

I agree with that Dusty, I have never had blood other than from hemorrhoids and I've had Crohns for 20 years!!

What greatly disappoints me in this article is that they perpetuate the myth that if you don’t have diarrhoea and/or blood as a presenting symptom then it isn’t IBD. :yfrown:

Counter-indicators: (Strongly counter-indicative)
Having hard stools or having normal stool texture
(Very/tendency to) infrequent stools

Dusty. :)

Interesting article and I have those symptoms often so I will try to drink more water! Is seltzer water considered good for hydration? Anyone have thoughts...

Parents advised me to avoid bubbly drinks for my son who has Crohn's. He doesn't drink bubbly stuff anyway. Everyone is different, though, seems to be the rule!

my little penguin

Staff member
The only way to "fix" rectal prolapse after the age of 4 is surgery.
So every time his rectum/ sigmoid colon becomes inflamed from a crohn's flare - prolapse comes back.
We have had mixed opinions on surgery so for now we are holding off.

My understanding from one of my Dr's is that Cola is a triple threat: Caffeine, Carbonation and Sugar (or even aspertaime). All these things cause issues with your body.

But, not all doctors are right so . . .

lenny my doc said the same thing.

I thought Aloe Vera was a no no now. This article says you should be taking it. Just one more thing to send out to the masses... confusion!