• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone ever run a marathon?

New year, new me!

I've always been pretty sedentry, never really played any sport. The most active i've been over the last few years is walking the dog. I've had 2 major op's in the last 15 months and I'm rapidly recovering from the last one (5 weeks ago) I know i'm by no means fit to do it yet but it's inspiring me to get active.

I don't like doing things unless there's a decent goal to work towards. Is a marathon aiming my sights a bit high? I've always looked at runners and thought, why are you running if nothing is chasing you, that's the only reason i've ever run.

Sooooo. I've thought about various different activities and decided i'm gonna give running a try. I bought a copy of Men's Running yesterday, sat down and read about half of it. I have to say I still don't know much about running but I sure want to buy a nice watch and an Audi.

I've looked at local clubs and found one that looks good but they like new members to be capable of 7k. I can barely run to the front door so I got a long way to go. Anyone got any advice on how or where to start?

If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend the C25K app! I love being active and jogging/walking regularly is actually really refreshing. The app helps you start off slow and gradually gets you active/fit enough to run a 5k marathon :)

As long as you're motivated to do it, it'll help you become more active. I prefer running outdoors versus in a gym, but that's me.

Hope this helped!

Well I have not run a marathon yet but i wish for it . I have joined the local Fitness Group where i do training for 2 hours with an intention to increase stamina to participate in Marathon this year .

Last edited:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hurray for you! You might want to check out the Couch to 5k program (see: Google). :)
I've never run a marathon but I have completed more than one half (multiple if you include non-sanctioned events, lol) and I consider that one of my biggest accomplishments. Am back down to barely eeking out 5kms right now but am running regularly again. It's a thrilling sport, it really is.

I started running and ran for about 9 months until my crohn's and my rather major op stopped me from running (hopefully on a temporary business!).

A marathon is a huge deal but do able! I'd say to start your sights a little lower at a 5k race, then 10k, then half marathon. They would be some good goals to make while you improve your running skills!

I used the micoach app on my iphone to get me going and the runners world website is a good resource. Also once you get going, take a look at park runs. They are offical 5k runs which are free and are run every week up and down the country.

Also, make sure you buy some running shoes and get into it slowly! You don't want to get yourself an injury before you get going! Good luck and let us know how you get on!

rygon

I'd say the most important thing is buying some good running shoes. Don't go for expensive fashionable ones but try and find a shop that can measure how u run. That way u get get shoes that are good for you.

Apart from that take it slowly. Bad knees and shin splits are a pain. Start training at most only 3 days a week with a days rest in between.

I aslo have run several half marathons but have been stopped short of a full due to Crohns issues. A full marathon is definitely on my bucket list, though. I agree with all of the advice that has been given here:
1. Set you initial sights a little lower. You can use 5Ks, 10Ks etc as steps along the way to a full marathon which will help break up the training and make you feel like you are reaching goals instead of having a distant one. If you try to do too much at once, you risk injury or burn out.
2. As Rygon said, finding the right shoes is very important. Go to a place that specializes in running shoes. They will have staff there that will watch you run and help you find a shoe that is right for you. Everybody is different and there is no "best" running shoe, only a best running shoe for you.
3. The best way to build endurance is interval training. This consists of raising and lowering you heart rate at constant intervals. this can be done by alternating run/ walk intervals, or (my choice) finding a small hill and running up and down it.
4. Don't get discouraged if you miss a scheduled run. More than likely you will. Sticking to a rigid schedule is hard, so allow yourself some flexability to make it up later. the most important thing is sticking with it over the long haul, not what you do day to day.

Best of luck to you! Kepp us posted on how it's going!

Thanks guys, just been and bought a pair or running shoes. I was well impressed by the whole treadmill measure up service. Tbh I didn't realise there was a big difference between proper trainers and JJB nike air speacials but the difference is huge, these make my old trainers feel like cloggs!

The interval training is good, it's got me going at a sensible pace already.

JK, never done a marathon, but have bad knees from car accident. However couple of years ago did the london to brighton cycle ride - normally end of June so started training about now to do the 54 miles. Took most of the day, but with 4 of us so good fun, though watch out for the serious guys who cycle down then cycle back to london!

However, that could have been about the time I started symptoms on and off and diagnosed with crohns last autumn (fall for our US readers!) so suggest you take whatever you do easy. Oh and lots of good training programmes on the web...

good luck!

I have run two marathons and tons of shorter distance races. A marathon is a daunting distance for someone just starting out. I would suggest you first tackle a local 5K and see if you like running. If so, set another goal of a longer distance race. Once you have completed a half marathon, then set your sights on the marathon.

I highly recommend finding a local group to run with that matches your level. Once you start training for the marathon, join a marathon prep group. It is invaluable to run your long run of the week with a group. I can't imagine running a 15, 18, or 21 miler alone. I swear I would have run around the block and come home if not for the training group I joined.

There is no shame in a run/walk program. Jeff Galloway (if I remember correctly) recommends this and his books are inspiring and offer easy to follow training programs.

Good luck. I had surgery in late November and have been back running for several weeks now. It feels great