• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Make life easier - housework

rygon

I thought i'd start a thread on all your "cheats" to make housework easier

So far ive found cillit bang great on shower screens. Leave over night and it wipes off everything

anything scaled up (taps, shower heads etc) put vinegar in a bag and tie to the offending item overnight

My Fav cleaning tip for those with a chronic illness - Hire a houskeeper twice a month if you can possibly swing it!! Takes alot of stress off of everyone in the house.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
My hubby is currently unemployed/minimally employed, which sucks, but the upside is that he's been willing to do straightening up, cleaning, organizing, dishes, laundry, etc in between applying for jobs. So for right now I have a willing and unpaid housekeeper of sorts. ;)

My favorite cleaning tip though? If you have a dog, particularly one that sheds a lot, brush them outside! I used to brush my dog in the house and the dog hair would go everywhere - I have a corgi and corgis shed an absolute ton of hair - so I'd have to vaccuum afterwards. Now I take her outside and brush her in the yard, no vaccuuming required. My mother commented that with all the hair, it looked like an owl killed a small mammal in my yard, but I'd much rather have it in the yard than in my house! Plus the hair doesn't stay in the yard for long, I think little birds or animals must take it to make nests or something? Anyway, I hate to vaccuum so that's my shortcut around it. I still need to vaccuum of course, just not quite as often.

I wish I had some cheats. My roommate doesn't help clean one bit. I'll either have a mini breakdown or start giving my 10 year old little chores to do to help earn money. There are days (a lot here lately) that all I want to do is sit on the couch with my heating pad on my tummy. Hard to do housework from said couch!

Picking up as you go is a great time saver. For example while cooking everything gets put away, spills get mopped up, cleaner, gloves and a storage tub are put out on the counter (to clean over after if needed and leftovers).

Then I toss the dirty pans in the sink, leftovers in the fridge and i'm done. Takes seconds.

Sandwiches are made on a tray (no crumbs to clean off counter) veg chopped on a tea towel (again nothing to clean away and peelings can be easily disposed of).

I don't cut corners (because that makes life harder) but I don't willingly make mess because I only have to clean it up after!

Hey,
I use Cilit bang too on my floors, shower, bath, cooker etc. its the best around. Bang and the dirt is gone.
Cheats,
Well i clean the bathroom when the kids are in the bath and i use those disposable wipes for the toilet.
I have a big shaggy mat that i can get away without hoovering for ages and normally just needs a good shake.
i bought big feather dusters that my kids just love to dust with.
plus they also like to polish the tv and clean the sitting room window. they use alot of product though. keeps them busy and they earn sum dough.
Ju

For showers etc too, a paste made from bicarbonate of soda mixed with bleach is really good. Slap it on, leave it on for a bit then wipe or rinse off. it's really good for brightening up on grubby grouting.
New timesavers for me. have started doing a once a month online grocery shop. I'm building up a store, so that on days I feel ill or knackered, there's easy stuff that me or DS can make. It's his survival store too for if I have to go into hospital. Saves on petrol too.
Keeping a lookout for another freezer on Freecycle.

Wow! Freecycle must be all over the world. I didn't know that. I knew we had it here, but that's all. Haven't sighned onto yet. My bad. Maybe some day when I feel better...

scottsma

clean the cooker top when you wash the pots and do the oven often.It's a lot easier than leaving it for ages.Also I could not be without my G-TECH carpet sweeper.You charge it like a mobile phone.I only vacuum every two or three weeks and use the sweeper daily.Picks every thing up,even dog hair,very lightweight and manouverable and does the stairs too.love it love it love it

People have said that my home always looks like a model house - and the way I do it is I spend time decorating and getting each room to look the way I like it, and from then on, I just pick up as I go. That way it stays looking nice, without much work. If you do have a lot of clutter, like around the holidays with all the decorations, keep it all in one room - instead of spread out.

I shared the FlyLady link with the rest of my family. Sent it to their personal email. I told the guys to ingnore the fairy and just pay attention to the advise. Ha, ha! Maybe they'll get the message. One can always hope. Snicker, snicker.:ybiggrin: