• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fissures Getting Worse

My anal fissures are SO painful.

And they seem to be getting worse...despite laxatives....

Before, there was just one painful one going down my butt crack.

Now they point like North, South, East, and West. (on every corner!)

I really don't look forward to pooping, it's the most painful thing ever. And plus the stomach aches I get with it it's like a double whammy!

And I'm bleeding a lot too....it's sickening.

I really hope to get treatment for this. I heard there were some things to buy online....(creams?)

I know painful fissures are common, anyone have luck with theirs healing?

theOcean

I guess I have ones "North" and "West". I'm still in the process of trying to heal mine, but I apply vaseline across them before and after my bowel movements, if not some anti-bacterial/anti-fungal/hydrocortisone cream I have from my GP. I also soak in a sitz bath sometimes too. It's definitely helping and they're healing, but I have to be careful to take care of them.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. My nurse ordered my some zinc cream for skin breakdown. I don't have fissures but it might be helpful.

There is an ointment that a pharmacist can mix up for you that helped my fissures so very much. It's NIFEDIPINE .3 percent OINTMENT. It's by prescription.

An over the counter one I've found helpful is DIBUCAINE OINTMENT UPS, 1 percent.

I hope you find some relief soon.

theOcean

Also wondering: do you adopt a specific posture when you use the washroom? I find if I make an effort to sit up straight and keep my legs and cheeks together I get less issues since it doesn't cause the fissures to pull or strain.

I guess I have ones "North" and "West". I'm still in the process of trying to heal mine, but I apply vaseline across them before and after my bowel movements, if not some anti-bacterial/anti-fungal/hydrocortisone cream I have from my GP. I also soak in a sitz bath sometimes too. It's definitely helping and they're healing, but I have to be careful to take care of them.
Ah, okay, thanks those are good ideas. :)

There is an ointment that a pharmacist can mix up for you that helped my fissures so very much. It's NIFEDIPINE .3 percent OINTMENT. It's by prescription.

An over the counter one I've found helpful is DIBUCAINE OINTMENT UPS, 1 percent.

I hope you find some relief soon.
Oh cool! Thank you so much for these!

Also wondering: do you adopt a specific posture when you use the washroom? I find if I make an effort to sit up straight and keep my legs and cheeks together I get less issues since it doesn't cause the fissures to pull or strain.
Good question. Maybe I just haven't tried sitting straight enough, but it seems that it hurts regardless of the position I sit in.

I'll try that though.

theOcean

Yeah, if your fissures are still sensitive you'll feel it anyway. But if your stool is consistently soft (thank you, Miralax) then it slowly starts to help. Today I finally didn't have any pain or bleeding, which was nice. Also found that wetting my toilet paper before wiping made it less aggressive to the skin, too.

Yeah, if your fissures are still sensitive you'll feel it anyway. But if your stool is consistently soft (thank you, Miralax) then it slowly starts to help. Today I finally didn't have any pain or bleeding, which was nice. Also found that wetting my toilet paper before wiping made it less aggressive to the skin, too.
Yeah, hopefully it'll start to help.

Oh, glad you didn't have pain! Good news! :)

I do that (wetting the paper), but it often stings and almost makes me jump out of the toilet seat!

theOcean

Aw! I get that more with wet wipes, I find. Might be the perfumes or some of the other products they use in them since I'm sensitive to that anyway. I hope you can start getting some relief soon! Are you feeling better otherwise? I remember your other posts.