• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do I shower with a Picc Line?

Hi so I had another relapse and have been in hospital for a week with hydrocortisone and IV fluids. Today they put a picc line in as my veins are all damaged from the cannulas and they said it’s better for the long term with me being on treatment; although they may have to stop vedoluzimab as it doesn’t seem to be working that well, but it does depend on the CT scan tomorrow morning.

My question is, does anyone here have a picc line and how do you shower without it getting wet? The radiographer told me that getting it wet it will cause an infection and I really don’t want to end up in a bigger mess than I already am. I have seen plastic cling films hat can go over the line, but are they worth buying?

I had a picc line in for a month a number of years ago when I had Lyme disease. I actually can’t remember whether I showered or just had baths. I think your best bet would be to get one of those “cast covering” things. I’m assuming it is in your arm? I also used the tubular material they put on before casts to keep it covered. It was really easy to use and I had no problems with it.

the hospital had me use normal cling film
Give it a good wrap in that and you should be ok
Mine survived
Hope you feel better soon
The dressing round it should have a degree of waterproof too

I had a picc line in for a month a number of years ago when I had Lyme disease. I actually can’t remember whether I showered or just had baths. I think your best bet would be to get one of those “cast covering” things. I’m assuming it is in your arm? I also used the tubular material they put on before casts to keep it covered. It was really easy to use and I had no problems with it.
It is in my arm. I was thinking around the same thing.

the hospital had me use normal cling film
Give it a good wrap in that and you should be ok
Mine survived
Hope you feel better soon
The dressing round it should have a degree of waterproof too
Okay. I actually haven’t been told how to cover it, just to keep it away from water. I will do thanks