• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscope damaging inflammation?

Spooky1

Well, i certainly bleed for a few days afterwards and yes, its excruciating on the narrowing which reveals severe stricture with ulcerations and bleeding. Takes a while to settle down though, but they do need to see what is going on though.

Spooky1

Sorry, friend, its normal in my case, and they used the kiddie scope. didn't get enough sedation was awake and screaming. they want to do it under general anaesthetic next time. It will hurt for some days. so i'm sympathising.

afidz

Super Moderator
I don't know if this is related, so I apologize if I am off topic
But in 2008 I had a scope, they perforated my colon, so I had to go into emergency surgery. Maybe they really irritated your intestines when they were doing a biopsy?

afidz

Super Moderator
it really isn't as rare as you think, I have come across several members on here alone that have had the same thing happen to them. Sometimes its hard to judge how thin the intestinal walls are, and when they go to do the biopsy, it tears. Nogutnoglory, I am pretty sure they would of known if they perforated your bowel, and if they didn't know, you would of gotten very sick from it. But I think its possible they could of done some damage to your intentional wall thats causing you pain and discomfort. Have you talked to your doctor?

afidz

Super Moderator
I just saw that you were asking about the signs, and honestly, it all happened so fast that I don't remember very much. When they do a colonoscopy they inflate your intestines so they can see better, so when they perforate it, the air escapes into your abdomen. All I remember is being in A LOT of pain when I woke up from my scope, my belly was huge because it had tons of air in it, and next thing I remember is waking up with a 12 inch incision in my belly.

nogutsnoglory

I don't think the wall is damaged or I'd be in excruciating pain. I think the scope likely just touched raw flesh and irritated it.

i think it can depend on how rough the doctor doing it is, when i had mine, the sedation didnt really kick in until about 15 minutes after they finished, i remember most of it happening and how much it hurt, i had to keep telling him to stop because it was hurting

when i came around, he told me i was in pain because he came to a narrowing, had i not been awake to tell him, i fear he may have poked a little harder, which could have caused damage.

i hope you get well soon!