• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Maker's Diet

brieyourbest

Cimzia Forum Monitor
Hey Loves!

I hope, sincerely pray and hope, that this message fines you all well. And for those of us who aren't doing the best, I am sending out warm wishes, thoughts and prayers for you all as well.

Point of the post:
I want to try The Maker's Diet. So has anyone ever tried it? :) And if so, what were your results?

So here is where I am torn. And yes, it does somewhat have to do with my religion. Dr. Jordan Rubin came to my church maybe 5+ years ago and spoke about his battle with Crohn's Disease and how he was "healed." I am aware that the word "healed" is a strong one in our world. I sometimes feel like maybe this is a sign from God that I am supposed to at least attempt this diet because it all seemed to connect. I feel like I owe it to myself to at least try the dang diet. It seems like a harsh diet for someone with Crohn's Disease but I am willing to try anything at this point. This is my life. The Quality of my Life SUCKS right now! I'm a UGA Sorority Gal who spends all her time sleeping. So I'm ready to try it.

idk... Sorry for all the rambling. But yeah, I am going to try The Maker's Diet.

Have you had any luck with the Maker's Diet? My husband and I have recently starting reading the book (along with his other book "Patient Heal Thyself") and are going to give it a try. I've also noticed he has a line of supplements that are sold in some stores like the Vitamin Shoppe, but I'm a little skeptical about those.

KL- The supplements are high quality and the labels are accurate. An independent lab (I personally know the owner) has tested them. It is one of the few lines of supplements he will reccomend. I take the probiotics.

I love the Makers Diet! It was my first window into how diet could affect Crohn's disease. Since then, I have become very interested in nutrition and how it affects Crohn's. I feel that the Maker's Diet is a very good place to start while trying to control Crohn's through diet and perhaps move past it to get more results. I started on the Maker's Diet and have now moved to being vegetarian. I still loosely follow the Maker's Diet, just without meat!

First, please know I am speaking on behalf of my husband here. I encourage you to try anything to calm your suffering. Although diet can help some patients this plan made my husband very ill. In particular, we thought juicing was a great idea. He soon felt like vomiting daily; this was never one of his Crohn's symptoms. We found that he cannot tolerate raw foods. I only mention this story because we invested in equipment etc... So, before going that route experiment more than we did, I hope it works for you.
We kept detailed food journals. The other aspects of the diet did not help or hinder. I'm here today looking for other ideas. Good luck in your search!

The Maker's diet is in a sense a paleo diet. I loved the book, and diet, pre Crohns. Unfortunately for me though, I could not sustain my weight on it, and kept dropping pounds upon pounds until I changed my diet. I miss it so much haha, and would love to try it again, post flare, or when my Crohns is better controlled. Good luck!

Oh my oh my.

1) I think this dude is quack. Biblical diets were adopted for a reason, not because we were designed that way, but because of preparation issues, bodily tolerances, etc. And they weren't spread out over the world. It was a cultural thing. It's like pizza in Italy. It's not God's diet: it's pre-christ jewish food.

2) Anything that claims to cure people is usually crap.

3) That doesn't mean it's not a valid diet. Like niki said, it's kinda like paleo. It might work.

I just wouldn't go in expecting miracles.

The Maker's diet is in a sense a paleo diet.
stage one (the first two weeks) of the maker diet is indeed very paleo (except for goat and sheep milk products) but stage two and three are a million miles from paleo
stage two introduces cow's milk, peanut oil and legumes,
stage three introduces peanuts, more legumes and a huge range of grains including gluten grains:hallo3:

reference - Approved Maker's Diet Food List
http://organicfanatic.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/approved-makers-diet-food-list.html

Hello RFarmer!

I suppose people's opinions of the origin of diets will vary. The Maker's Diet may seem silly to someone who doesn't believe in a judeo-christian worldview. For me, the paleo diet seems silly because I don't believe in evolution. Yet I think it is best to go on results. All Crohn's patients seem to vary in what foods they can tolerate and what foods they can't. The biggest lesson I took from the Maker's Diet was to eat natural, unprocessed foods and it was a wonderful starting point for me but it might not be for everyone. Go with whatever works best for you and makes you feel the best!

As a nurse the Maker's Diet makes a lot of sense to me. My son has Crohn's and we are going to try it. we have gotten away from the food that our great great grandparents ate. There were no refined foods back then. The lived longer lives and ate food that was in raw form. We are also putting poison into out bodies that they did not put in theirs. I feel that God has given us the bible for everything. We did to read it and apply it to our lives for everything. Including diet. In the book you eat food that is in raw form and cooked form. I know that pork is high in sodium and is not good for you at all. I knew this before reading the Maker's Diet. :D

Hello RFarmer!

I suppose people's opinions of the origin of diets will vary. The Maker's Diet may seem silly to someone who doesn't believe in a judeo-christian worldview. For me, the paleo diet seems silly because I don't believe in evolution. Yet I think it is best to go on results. All Crohn's patients seem to vary in what foods they can tolerate and what foods they can't. The biggest lesson I took from the Maker's Diet was to eat natural, unprocessed foods and it was a wonderful starting point for me but it might not be for everyone. Go with whatever works best for you and makes you feel the best!
"I don't believe in evolution"

Aww hawl no! Even the pope believes in evolution!

It's not that it seems silly to me, at all. What seems silly is the idea that it's the "maker's diet"... It just doesn't make sense. There were cultures all over the world during biblical times, and they all ate differently. The only reason people call it "maker's diet" is because the biblical stories centered around those people. If the bible took place in china, the book would just talk about noodles, rice and dog. (hehe, no offense to chinese)

Furthermore, if you don't believe in evolution (even though the vatican's chief scientists have stated that it's accepted there, look up evolutionary creation), then why not try a paleo diet? Assuming you believe in the genesis story, adam and eve would have pretty much ate what a paleo diet commands. The kosher diet, and all it's other subsidiaries didn't come in until later.

tl;dr I have no idea if it's a valid diet or not. However, I wouldn't do it, just because it's coming from some quack who thinks Jesus has healed him because he only ate animals without cloven hooves who chew the cud. I mean, if it works, go for it. But I tend to avoid anyone who claims they can heal you if you buy their God-approved, created by the maker, and definitely not meant to make money book.

PS I read the book.

found an interesting review of the makers diet.
http://www.westonaprice.org/thumbs-up-reviews/makers-diet

i'm not a believer, but it is a good step in the right direction for almost anyone (especially us)
"What turned him around was a twofold approach involving traditional whole foods that emphasized animal products and minimized grains, and soil-based organisms providing beneficial bacteria for his digestive tract."

I've read the makers diet and also the GAPS (gut and psycology syndrome) books. After small bowel resection and other parts taken out several years ago, I was enthusiastic about the Makers Diet. I felt better for a long time and now am in very bad shape again. I started the into to the GAPS diet several months ago and had a terrible die off period for two weeks and then felt really good. It's that really good part I struggle with. I start eating junk again and then get ill. So now back to GAPS without an end. I hope to heal my crohns disease with this diet and tons of prayer. It's really a last ditch effort for me so I think I need to tatoo a note on my hands, "don't quit diet".

I would love to hear progress reports on other people's dietary interventions.

I read some of Rubin's book & tried some of his suggestions for a while. The main reason why I did not try to follow his whole plan is that he recommends drinking Goats Milk. I tried goats milk and any other milk, even lactose free milk, makes me very sick. So I wasnt sure how much to follow of his plan. Someone on here says he recommends sheep and cows milk too, but not sure.

I have been using Aloe Vera Juice for over 20 yrs now, the products that say 99% & no water on the label. Along with selective eating, to manage crohns. Stay away from the Aloe Gels that contain Carageenan as an ingredient.
I know that It really works, since I havent used any meds since 1991.

While I have nothing against the diet itself, the claim that it is based on biblical teachings I feel is completely false and outrageously deceitful.

In 2006, the Federal Trade Commission filed legal action against Mr. Rubin and his company, "Garden of Life" for misrepresention of their products, and false/deceptive advertising, in violation of a number of federal laws. Here's the complaint: http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/gardenoflife/GardenofLifeComplaint.pdf

And the settlement: http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/gardenoflife/GardenofLife FederalFinalOrderandJudgment.pdf

Mr. Rubin also claims to hold several degrees and certifications, however, none of his "credentials" have any legitimate academic or professional standing. http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/rubin.html

Again though, I don't have anything against the diet itself.

"I don't believe in evolution"

Aww hawl no! Even the pope believes in evolution!

It's not that it seems silly to me, at all. What seems silly is the idea that it's the "maker's diet"... It just doesn't make sense. There were cultures all over the world during biblical times, and they all ate differently. The only reason people call it "maker's diet" is because the biblical stories centered around those people. If the bible took place in china, the book would just talk about noodles, rice and dog. (hehe, no offense to chinese)

Furthermore, if you don't believe in evolution (even though the vatican's chief scientists have stated that it's accepted there, look up evolutionary creation).
Not everyone who is Christian is catholic. According to recent gallop polls, 46% of Americans claim they don't believe in evolution, which I find hard to believe, but here's a link.
http://www.minnpost.com/eric-black-ink/2012/06/almost-half-us-dont-believe-evolution