• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and Anxiety

So, I have noticed an overwhelming amount of people on here mentioning that they take an anti-anxiety drug for stress or anxiety. I myself take the occasional klonopin. I have to ask, is there a link, direct or indirect, between crohn's disease and anxiety issues? How many people take something for their anxiety? Is it caused by the stress of the disease? Have we as crohnies developed into highly anxious people because of it? Is there an effect on the brain of the disease itself, through blood deficiencies or something indirect? Is this common amongst people who deal with a chronic illness?

For me the anxiety definitely came before the Crohn's. I have never been medicated for it. I think it has improved significantly since certain elements of my life were changed. But it's definitely still there.

I think it's a bit of both. I have a phobia, which is classed as an anxiety disorder. I have had this almost as long as I can remember, well before diagnosis. Having said that, there is a possibility that I have had undiagnosed Crohn's most of my life.

But having a chronic disease does play havoc with serotonin levels- which may play a role in anxiety symptoms (since SSRIs which increase serotonin can be used to treat anxiety disorders like OCD). So who knows which came first!

My doctor said there is both physical and mental aspects to it. An autoimmune disease basically puts your whole body on red alert. When you overproduce white cells and inflammation, it causes anxiety as one of the ways your body tries to warn you something is very wrong. I can definitely attest to that because when I've had terrible anxiety that isn't related to anything going on in my life, it's a sure sign of a flare-up.

Also, the drugs we take for Crohn's causes nasty side effects. For me personally, Methotrexate has stopped my ovaries from working and so put me into menopause at 37,
which causes anxiety for sure. And prednisone-well it always makes me have nervousness, anxiety, and terrible panic attacks, along with insomnia.

Crohnnies also frequently have vitamin deficiency which can also cause anxiety-I was having terrible panic attacks and a blood test showed I was extremely low on potassium, B vitamins and calcium. I took infusions of vitamins for three months and didn't have any more symptoms.

And let's face it-the daily worries that come with Crohn's-will I have an accident today-etc. cause a tremendous amount of stress. Guilt always comes with it for me because I feel I let people down when I'm unable to do certain things.

So, a round of anti-anxiety drugs for all-lol!

had panic attacks since 1982 plus agorophobia. had to leave lots of big jobs, but i take xanax- 5 mg daily, saved me, but for me, the 20 years of stress a vit d deficiency and being a smoker was the triple play and gave me crohns

I weaned myself by half of my SSRI late last year and have been in a low-grade flare since then. There's definitely a connection personally.

I've always had a problem with anxiety though (also have a phobia) and have wondered if that has contributed to my being susceptible to digestive disorders. I had IBS before Crohn's.

Suffered from anxiety since I was a child, I have no doubt that it was a factor in Crohn's kicking off.

One thing that frustrates me is that my mental state is never mentioned, asked about, discussed at any point, even when I was briefly on an SSRI (which also effect digestion along with stress/anxiety)

I have probably Crohn's and have struggled w/ anxiety related depression and OCD most of my life. I am currently stable on Lexapro and have also done bio-feedback and counseling which helped tremendously. When there is more stress in my life, I do notice my sx getting worse.

I am a recently diagnosed Crohns sufferer and i am feeling very anxious and depressed about it all! I get the feeling its just part and parcel of this horrible disease! have suffered with depression in the past but I am determined not to let it beat me and I am staying off the drugs........ well thats my plan. But its not easy!

I always thought of myself as a stressed out guy.

But as the years go by I think that I will need help dealing with all the stress. I think that dirty dishes now stress me I think it's getting that bad.

I never thought of taking medecine for it but now I think I should. For me the more stress I have the sicker I become.

But as the years go by I think that I will need help dealing with all the stress. I think that dirty dishes now stress me I think it's getting that bad.

I never thought of taking medecine for it but now I think I should. For me the more stress I have the sicker I become.
You should definitely talk to your doctor about this. Even if you decide medications are not the best route, they can give you some coping mechanisms and teach you how to reduce anxiety.

yes i've read that there's a link between anxiety/depression and crohn's (also systemic diseases in general)

i am not on meds for anxiety but once in a while i consider it, i do notice my anxiety symptoms heighten prior to or during flare ups

i wake up suddenly at night - jump up with my heart racing feeling scared and like i forgot something and kind of in a daze, i also cry more often and get depressed and very emotional and have dark thoughts but definitely i get more edgy.

I've never had to take meds for anxiety either---it has never been that debilitating for me--The anxiety I get is stressed induced anxiety and always lifts after the external stress-er gets out of my life..lol praying helps me.

My GI never asks how my mental state is either--they don't say anything to you like--having Crohn's might cause you to be depressed or cause you to be anxious.

Last edited:
I've always been a very stressed person, so much so that I lost a most of my hair overnight when I was 8. I take a herbal anti anxiety thing but thats just because my stress levels worsen my crohns dramatically... and omg pred makes me a monster...my poor boyfriend and family who have to deal with my moods...

I have always been a worrier, however never experienced anxiety before until now. I left my job, am having trouble finding one, have insomnia from the anxiety.

I have used Immovane to help me sleep, but even that is now not working. I used Gravol, but it upsets my stomach.

I just want something to turn off my brain until I get a job and can move into a new apartment (neighbours are up until 1am walking on their heels and I hear everything).

What would be your recommendation? What you have taken? I have to function daily and go to interviews and study for second language tests. I need something for the night time only, so that I can relax and sleep. During the day, my anxiety is fine. I will start to learn other techniques, but at this point they do not work due to my situation.

I am seeing a psychologist, but I want to be ready to suggest something. She is trying not to medicate me as I don't wish to be either; but it has been more than a week of not sleeping or sleeping for a bit with Gravol and then feeling horrible all day.

Thanks all.

I must say i have anxiety also, but never took anything for it like depression. It just seems like everybody who has IBD has something else too.

I would have panic attacks if I couldnt make it to Tue bathroom in time. I would sweat, shake, get freaked out, and more. My dr put me on some to relax my nerves and calm my stomach. I got off because I had no emotions. Now my Dr wants to put ke on amitypline (sp?) But I heard thats strong stuff. i have an appt next week with my primary to discuss it more.

Crohns does cause me some anxiety, mainly about crapping myself in public. I have social anxiety as part of Aspergers Syndrome, and a general anxiety as part of schizophrenia, for which I take olanzapine.

Definitely had depression and anxiety, even before the Crohn's dx. Mom has several immunological diseases and chronic depression/anxiety. Little sis has severe anxiety/panic attacks. I'm sure it runs in the family, but I am also sure that the Crohn's makes it worse. The pain, diarrhea, vomiting, physical changes to the body, plus all of the nasty side effects of all the nasty meds we are on wreak havoc on our mental/emotional states. I envy the people who can manage without the meds. I personally can't, sometimes I start crying and can't stop. It gets scary for the hubby and kids. The meds keep me on an even keel, even when the CD gets bad.

I've been suffering of anxiety/depression ever since I was diagnosed over 8 years ago. The longest period I been on medication to treat the anxiety/depression is 12 months. Recovered quite well I can say but from my experience I and reading around different cases the best is to avoid medication if not absolutely necessary. Been on and off medication throughout the whole period.

At the moment I am taking no more than 0.75 mg of xanax daily to cope with the stress (going through a flare up). It definitely helps me but it is just a fix for the moment I am pretty sure, have to say being on and off the drugs and considering I have monitored the moments when I really need the anxiety pills is when I'm going through flare ups.

These drugs will never treat the cause of anxiety that for sure. Pretty logical here, a drug meant to treat the nervous system cannot treat our crohn's, reason for which I recommend staying off the drugs if not going through really tough times.

I noticed that most of my flare ups are stress related, it is a vicious cycle I am going through. Family issues -> Work problems -> Stress -> Flare ups. Rarely I have noticed that bad eating habits triggered a bad flare up. So best to avoid stress and do anything to regain the remission in order to feel more relaxed and avoid the drugs.

Why avoid the drugs? Because they are very addictive and from my point of view very dangerous for Crohn's if taken for long periods of time.

One other important thing I've noticed is that when taking anxiety/depression drugs in combination with caffeine/nicotine or other such stimulant substances of the nervous system, it can never be worse. This combination is absolutely devastating, I speak from personal experience, everyone is different and I got to mention I have never taken large doses of these drugs (situation in which you might not even feel the symptoms caused by the situation I explained above) - because you are highly sedated. So in other words you might end up killing your body with high doses of drugs by hiding the symptoms.

Anxiety/depression is best taken care of from the inside - gain control of the disease and slowly try to overcome it. Only take pills if absolutely necessary.

I have repeated a few points throughout my post just to make my point clear, I am pretty tired and my English is not one of the best..

Hope this helps.

Mine started when I was involved in a car accident where somebody died. And it got much worse when I started with my crohny symptoms.

However, I with Cognitive behaviour Therapy and better meds my anxiety started getting much better, and although I still get nervous in some more crazy situations (i.e. my scary London trip next weekend) I would say that I can do so much more than I would have thought possible those years ago when I was stuck in my house. xxx

I've had anxiety before I was diagnosed with Crohn's. Since I was diagnosed and started having more problems with random BM's, I get anxious in cars when other people are driving. Also, I try to keep it under control, but it's tough because I feel that it gets out of control sometimes. Plus, when I get a panic attack, I immediately need to go to the bathroom. I try to control it naturally, with breathing and yoga, and that helps. Also, eating right helps as well. But, I really don't want to go on meds unless I absolutely need to.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I think for me, it's very hard to tell which came first. I started have digestive problems around the age of 17/18. That's about the same time that I started developing panic attacks. I thought I was losing my mind for a while. The symptoms and fear were terrible. The CD runs in my father's side of the family, and strangely enough so do anxiety disorders. I think there is a link in the seratonin. Chronic pain lowers it, thus causing depression and/or anxiety.

I was anxious before also but never knew it was from chrons. Learn something every day I guess and BTW I am no longer anxious I just have Chrons LOL

I think for me, it's very hard to tell which came first. I started have digestive problems around the age of 17/18. That's about the same time that I started developing panic attacks. I thought I was losing my mind for a while. The symptoms and fear were terrible. The CD runs in my father's side of the family, and strangely enough so do anxiety disorders. I think there is a link in the seratonin. Chronic pain lowers it, thus causing depression and/or anxiety.
I agree 100%. My problems started in middle school with the pain, cramping and diarrhea. That was also when my mom got sick, and I was bullied by two older girls. I was so stressed and anxious all of the time. They came together though, I don't think one caused the other.

LOSTnut

Poopy
I never had any problems before my surgery. After the emergency surgery, while still under a lot of painkillers, I was told I talked about killing myself, which is when I was put on anti-depressants to help me deal.

After that there was a lot of stress with regards to the bag, then losing my job, now the threat of losing my health insurance and not being able to find a job that offers health insurance.

In short, I think my depression come strictly from Crohn's and its related issues ... or age??? :(

Anyhow, at this point I could not imagine being without the little pills to even my emotions out.

Anxiety and Stress

Before I had Crohn's - even undiagnosed - I was a high anxiety guy but could pretty much internalise and cope with it. Since the Crohn's I have higher anxiety and tearful periods which I believe are a result of: 1. my natural anxiety levels 2. fatigue from Crohn's 3. lack of internal "balance" caused by the Crohn's 4. pain (Crohn's and related spinal problems).

So I am learning to let out my emotions more and am willing to consider SSRIs if they will make my life more relaxed. However, I am waiting to see what the Winter brings before making that choice.

All I do know is that when I am full stretch at some sort of exercise (cycling or the gym, say) nothing hurts or worries me because those natural painkillers kick in.

I know that mine came before diagnosis. However, I also have Grave's (hyperthyroidism)... which increases anxiety. Sorry if I'm not much help. But definitely before Crohn's.

there are several reason why they might appear to go together as i see it.

a) malnutrition doesn't just effect the body but your brain is very dependent on calorie intake and vitamins. If that is effected then your brain may be effected in various ways.

b) most people associate stomach problems with anxiety, we are taught that when we are nervous or upset it is apporate that our stomach will have problems, therefor when you do have stomach issue, you, your family and even doctors often will first look to see if it's not "in your head". however a good metal health professional should look for physical issues first see point A, but they don't.
-sub b) both fibromylaga and IBS which many people here are first dx with are treated with antidepressants because they are nerve related and antidepressants have postive effects on them

c) many people have secondary metal illness when they are dx with a chronic illness, this means that that chronic illness can be a stress-er that allows symptoms to appear.
-sub c) stess weakens your body and can be associated with crohn's flare as well as bring on metal illness.

d) We might be a self selected group. people with anxiety in life maybe more likely to look for answers therefor they might find this forum and be more anxious about symptoms. Also according to the ad councils current billboards 1in 4 people have a mental health issue, a place where people list medications, it might seem like more then average but is just more obvious here.

I fall in to category A. I actually blamed my first flare on metal health meds, but it was really i was so malnutritioned and fatigued that was blaming it on depression. when really depression was being caused my Crohn's when i got that under control the depression got remarkable better.

Sorry so long.

yes i've read that there's a link between anxiety/depression and crohn's (also systemic diseases in general)

i am not on meds for anxiety but once in a while i consider it, i do notice my anxiety symptoms heighten prior to or during flare ups

i wake up suddenly at night - jump up with my heart racing feeling scared and like i forgot something and kind of in a daze, i also cry more often and get depressed and very emotional and have dark thoughts but definitely i get more edgy.
This correlates well with my experience. At the beginning of July, I woke in the middle of the night, my heart started racing immediately, I was incredibly anxious and could not get back to sleep. The following day, I felt wiped out and in a daze, barely able to stand up. Shortly afterwards, the physical symptoms of a flare up began. Now you have mentioned this, I will keep track of it in my daily diary as I think it is a good indicator.

Crohns and Anxiety

I've suffered from periods of depression for many many years, a lot to do with family issues. When the Crohns was dignosed, at times the depression gor so bad that I just wanted to go to sleep and not wake up. I have a therapist who is agreat help and has been supportive all during the diagnoses/ surgery times. I'm told the brain and bowel are linked which is why some people 'shit themselves' when extremely afraid.
Since finding this forum, my feelings are more positive. Not only can anything be discussed but also feelings which helps so much.
Thank you to you all for all your contributions which make up the forum!x

I was diagnosed with crohns a year and a half ago.

I started getting a bit of anxiety a few months ago after a few bad experiences at my job and also moving out of my parents house into the city, away from the support of my family and friends.

the anxiety became really bad about a month ago and seemed to coincide with a crohns attack. I have an intense fear and hatred of being surrounded by people which has a large impact on my life as im a student, i have to take crowded public transport, attend a large university, work at a student job eg. hospitality, retail. when i have an anxiety attack my mind seems to become clouded and the world seems dark and distorted, i feel incredibly scared and struggle to process anything thats going on around me. my heart beats fast, i struggle to breath, my throat becomes tight like someones strangling me.

It seems like i am naturally i highly anxious person but the crohns seems to exasperate my condition. when i have a bad crohns attack i begin to have panic attacks that if i dont eat i will faint or my body will go into some kind of shock. Now i get the same fear and panic attacks when i just get hungry almost every day.

I have almost no appetite with my crohns so intense feelings of faintness and starvation seem to creep up on me out of nowhere when ive forgotten to eat for hours. Following this is an extreme panic attack.

I need to find some way to regain my appetite, and convince myself im not dying when im hungry and that everyone is not out to get me!

HI Cass, this is not news to me. "Normally" a fairly anxious but outwardly calm rational person I become paranoid during Crohn's attacks. I feel all is against me and at times I weep hysterically and get almighty screwed up inside.

It is the Crohn's, tell yourself it is not you. Control the Crohn's and you may control all the stuff that goes with it (anxiety/back pains, nervousness, whatever). Maybe you need medication to help you cope with the anxiety in the short term during attacks but focus on whatever it takes to control the Crohn's and I think the rest may follow.

You are not alone in your anguish. We support you.

Thanks for your reply Paul :DD ive never been able to share any of this with anyone who could empathise before Xx

Cass, I relate so much to your thread. The important thing to do when you're not hungry is to sink a smoothie. Try and make sure you've got all the appropriate supplements as well as Crohns just flushes them all away!
The forgetting to eat is fear of the repercussions I believe, and I SO relate to that. I have short bowel syndrome so everything I eat reappears 20 minutes later...I used to be a chef but my interest in food has disapeared completely. Luckily I'm married to a guy who likes to eat so I have to make a bit of an effort.
Keep posting your thoughts and fears, guarantee there's one here who understans and can help. Even the fact that we all have issues helps, I think.:kiss:

Cass, do not be afraid to continue to share these feelings. I am a 58 year old guy who has seen a lot of stuff in my life but the Crohn's can reduce me to a wet rag in a day. Just fight it any way you can mentally, and find things to eat to keep up your strength. Many many people on this forum share these problems or equally horrible ones as a result of this.

Just had to swallow cancelling a visit to UK to see my 87 year old mum, all because the disease hit me the day before take off and no way could I travel like that. Went to bed for three days and tore up the tickets. You have to brush of the disappointments and just hang in there, do all the right things and keep your faith, whatever it may be.

We all wish you well, just as you wish it for us.

(You can tell I am still feeling emotional, can't you!)

Paul Cronk, my sympathies to you. Been there done that but bed is such a comfort and home is often the best medicine. I feel secure in my own surroundings and hope that you get to see your Mum soon. Thinking of you...:hug:
It's just so great that we can all empathise with each other here...

Thanks so much for all of your support! I thought i was going crazy but it seems everyone with our condition goes through similar things. I admire your courage so much and it provides hope that someone has mentally overcome this disease. All my love XXxxx

I also suffer with anxiety, and have been on SSRIs for it a couple of times. The medication really helps me - I also think that I have low seratonin levels naturally, since these medications seem to help me so much, but I don't know why. Guess it could be Crohn's related, but I never thought so. However, when I'm sick, the anxiety is definitely worse. This seems pretty typical, from what I'm reading from everyone else.

To all of us on this page I wish a weekend of sun and 'slow motions':eek:. It's been horrendous this week, alternating between Niagra Falls and a mini blockage. I've found a way of stopping the blockage before it gets to the hospital stage; I can feel the point inside where the stoma connects to the colon. When it's approaching a blockage, my tummy goes rock hard and if I put enough pressure on it I can get things moving ( albeit slowly!)... worth trying if you have had to endure the drip and sip with the tube up your nose...
anyway, everyone is getting excited about football. olympics and summer and all I want to do is sleep. Love to us all xx:D

I understand,

I have had many psychological problems since I got Crohns. I truly believe its from my disease and it seems to get worse the older I get. What works for me is listening to meditation music cause that relaxes me. It is really helpful when I am so stressed and I just want to cry or not wanting get out of bed. I have also missed out on a lot of different activities due to my disease and I always get worried that my family and friends think I am using it as a excuse. I use to run to relax me but my legs hurt when I run so music helps me.

Best of luck to u

I was diagnosed with Crohns last week, waiting for the 'final' results to all the tests now, I have been home for two weeks now, trying to get my strength back so I can go back to work. During the day I tell myself this is just another path of life to walk, but I can't sleep, when I finally do drop off to sleep I jolt awake in about three hours. I am exhausted and know I need to get some quality sleep.. I am taking 16 pills a day right not just to get this flare under control, I really don't want to add an anti-anxiety med, any ideas on how to shut my worries down at night? Thanks.

New Road, don't push yourself too hard. If you have a sympathetic doctor, perhaps you could get some counselling. I realise that in the US you have to pay for that but honestly, a read through some of the posts here are as good as a profession and we've all been there too! Treat yourself gently and log on to this site for support and advice. Try reading before going to sleep, it helps me...

Thanks, Paddy. I talked to the doc today, he assured me that I'm going to be on an emotional roller coaster for a while, I've always been independent and healthy and the reality of this new mess is starting to sink in. I am determined to keep resting, learning all I can and staying positive. And I love to read!

I understand,

I have had many psychological problems since I got Crohns. I truly believe its from my disease and it seems to get worse the older I get. What works for me is listening to meditation music cause that relaxes me. It is really helpful when I am so stressed and I just want to cry or not wanting get out of bed. I have also missed out on a lot of different activities due to my disease and I always get worried that my family and friends think I am using it as a excuse. I use to run to relax me but my legs hurt when I run so music helps me.

Best of luck to u
I know what you are going through. I feel like I miss out on a lot, and almost always find myself worrying about people thinking that I am using it as an excuse or making it up completely (especially at work). I also get it when I am leaving my house or going out, and worry about getting sick. I just try to talk myself out of it, tell myself everything is going to be fine and not to get worked up. I also agree with the music, music helps me SO much. Classical and meditation music is great, can really take your mind off things.

I was diagnosed with Crohns last week, waiting for the 'final' results to all the tests now, I have been home for two weeks now, trying to get my strength back so I can go back to work. During the day I tell myself this is just another path of life to walk, but I can't sleep, when I finally do drop off to sleep I jolt awake in about three hours. I am exhausted and know I need to get some quality sleep.. I am taking 16 pills a day right not just to get this flare under control, I really don't want to add an anti-anxiety med, any ideas on how to shut my worries down at night? Thanks.
I know that you are taking a lot of pills and probably don't want to add another, but have you tried melatonin? When I was having trouble sleeping this helped. It helped to mellow me out/make me a little drowsy and my mind wouldn't race as much. It was a better option for me because I was trying everything I could before resorting to anti-anxiety meds/sleeping pills. Obviously check with your doctor, but it is all natural so I don't see it being an issue.

Along with that I would always read for a little until it kicked in (I saw that you like to read too!), and when I got a few chapters in that's when I would turn the music on. I normally couldn't fall asleep to music, but if it is classical or meditative it helps so I got into a routine. Time magazine said Weightless by Marconi Union was the most relaxing song in 2011, put it on loop and you'll be asleep in no time! :ybiggrin:

Hope some of that helps. Hang in there and don't push yourself. It seems daunting but you have the right attitude so far! :)

Finally, my crohn's is in complete remission. Not sure why, but as soon as they put me on anti anxiety meds my crohn's symptoms disappeared. From my experience, crohn's may make anxiety worse or the other way around.

-Mary

New Road, if you love reading, I recommend Fannie Flagg's books. She wrote 'Fried Green Tomatoes at the whistle Stop Cafe', but all her books are so 'feelgood'. I've read and reread them over and over.For dry humour, Bill Bryson gets my vote...
Back to crohns/Anxiety, it's logical that we all get bad days/weeks and exhaustion. If your lifestyle permits it, I say go with the flow. Some nights I'm up every 20 minutes so by the morning I'm in my deepest sleep. My husband is very understanding and leaves me to sleep it off! I'm interested in the suggestion that you should take melatonin. If you can get that, it may help. I have heard that it's benificial but didn't know you could buy it.
Just another suggestion...my husband used to have to work night shifts which made my sleep pattern even worse. The only thing that helped then was to leave the radio on SO low that you can barely hear it. It somehow soothes... Take care, you've got a road to travel and we'll all be here to help if we can.:kiss:

I just love Fanny Flagg! And history, right now I'm reading about the development and adventures on the Santa Fe Trail through the wild west back in the 1800's. The bathroom interruptions are very frustrating, at least now I'm home and only a few feet from the pot, out in the truck I had to get dressed and walk across the truck stop 3 and four times a night to use the bathroom. I try to take a walk every day, my neighbor has a pasture full of cows and calves right in my back yard, I got pet them and that helps me feel less anxious. Thanks for the feedback!

Anxiety was definitely a factor in the increased stress which I believe led to my Crohn's disease. The Crohn's disease seemed to bring on depression, at which point I also discovered that I suffered from a severe anxiety disorder as well and had been most of my life (they call it being overly "shy" as a child - I always called it pure torture as a child - they were not so open with the psychiatric medications / conditions in the late 80's and early 90's however).

I think we'd be very unusual if we didn't suffer from some sort of anxiety/depression...we have an incurable illness which in some cases makes normal life impossible. I get periods when I've been to the loo SO many times, I wonder whether it's worth going on. Mostly some serious sleep helps but it would be useful if the doctors take our mental health into account as a matter of course when we are diagnosed. Crying on one's own is SO unsatisfying, so I recommend 15 minutes here for some empathic responses.:ghug:

Spooky1

Hi all,

I suffer extreme anxiety and get paranoid about going anywhere. I just have no idea what it is to feel normal as crohns started for me at 12 years old. Hasn't stopped yet. I'm so exhausted from the sickness and diarrhoea and this also means i have little energy to focus on anything or anyone. I feel so effin helpless at times and i really am desparing as i've achieved very little and i'm pushing 50 years old, and nothing to show for life. trouble is, the pain and the medication are just the doubled edged sword. I'm either drowsy or in pain. its so difficult and no one else can really help. doctors don't do much at all, so i live an exceptionally lonely life. I wished to god i'd married and had children despite my health, but i really wasn't well enough to take on the challenge. can't see my life changing at all either.

My God, i'm having a rant. This is definitely a mid-life crisis in the extreme. let me go take some anti-depressants and maybe i shall feel better in a bit.

I agree with 15 minutes of empathic responses. Thank god i found this site!

Poor you Spooky. Your expressing what so many of us feel and I'm so sorry that you don't have a partner to share this with. Are you stuck at home or do you manange to get out? Do you have any pets? Dogs are great because they force you to get out if only for a short while.
What's your GP like, sympathetic or bored? It does make such a difference if you've got an empathetic medic...perhaps you could approach your GP for some medical help for anxiety. I have to take it or I'd never leave the house...I became seriously agoraphobic for a while but I've got to get out for our dogs!
Big hug and keep on truckin!:kiss:

Spooky1

paddy, you're so sweet. Thanks for your words. i do take meds for depression. I have my four cats to keep me company, and i visit my niece who lives two minutes away by car. I can go to her house cos she doesn't mind if i need the loo and sit on it for ages, as we do, lol.

my gastro bloke is utterly complacent and my gp isn't bad but they don't have the cure for crohns yet. Unfortunately, my bones are also hideous with this menopause and any movement is painful. I do struggle a lot. I do wish i had people about though. I try and get out to ceramic group, which some of us from a class set up. fortunately its with a retired gp of the female kind, so she's another that doesn;t mind me on her loo for ages! however, clay work is actually too heavy for me. it needs energy, sometimes we just sit and chat. but its nice to be out. She has told us that she's moving away soon though and none of the others have a house big enough to hold a class, so that looks like its going too. never mind. I just can't see my way forwards and my house is also such a mess. oh, for some energy. I could almost do with a burst of prednisolone to get the place clean and tidy, lol

\probably i just need a holiday!

just out of interest what meds do you have for you anxiety?

hiya Spooky...my 'happy meds' are VenlafaxineXL 225mg, Quetiapine25mg, and good ald Diazepam for the panic attacks! The panic attacks are usually when I'm around a lot of people and there's always the risk of a mishap...it's something that's constantly on my mind.:ywow:
Your clay workshop sounds interesting...I make greeting cards; mostly for the family but a local Craft shop has recently been selling them and I'm delighted. They seem to be going well and it stops me from getting lazy. One of the things that I think is associated with anxiety is forgetting words! I feel so stupid...halfway through a sentence I have to search for the right word.Oh and there's the half way up the stairs when you wonder what your going there for...so you have to go down and start again!!! Keeep up your contact with the forum, if nothing else you're talking to people who know what you're going through...:kiss:

I'm here feeling all the negative vibes that hit us all from time to time. Don't want to get dressed, don't want to talk...am SO fed up with the constant visits to the loo and feel like my agaraphobia has lost me so many friends. I know this will pass but that doesn't help at the moment. Thanks for reading my whinge...

Spooky1

:hug:paddy, I so understand what you are saying. I sometimes think that actually its lack of energy too. I just can't physically do things that others take for granted. Although i hate to have a pity party for myself sometimes i just can't bring myself to think anything positive. I really have no one in my life apart from my cats and a niece with 6 children. its so hard sometimes i think i should just end it all or think wouldn't it be good if i got cancer. People never pop by and say hello or anything. There have been horrible family rifts in the past two years, and i'm still waiting to see if i have to go to court for naughtily saving for a camper van with loo so i can even get to hospital 45 miles away. I just can't squat by the verge any longer. I worry so much and never have anyone to share any concerns with me. I didn't even have the opportunity to tell anyone that i was being screened for cancer, i was so worried because my father had just died of the same that i was being screened for.

Its fine to whinge a bit. no one else wants to hear us. At least we all have crohns in common and even family have no idea what its like until they get the tummy bug from hell, and even then they just get over it. We don't get the opportunity to even get healthy. I have never really been in remission with this and i know what issues you have cos my mum has the same as you. I get so depressed i wish i had the courage to bump myself off. I sincerely can 't find that there will be a better day for me. I know how you feel.

hope things improve for you soon

:ghug: Thanks Spooky for your empathy and understanding. I used to have a counsellor/therapist with whom I could talk about anything. He was so good at his job, he's been promoted and the NHS cutbacks haven't refilled the post.
I really think I'm losing it a bit. No short term memory to speak of and unreasonable expectations of contact from my family have made me sulky.New great grand daughter ( 500 miles away) with no expectation of a cuddle for the foreseeable future makes me feel neglected. In reality i'm not it's just 'The Black Dog' visiting....

Spooky1

Paddy, my memory is diabolical. I wonder if its caused by crohns issues. Its such a shame that you don't have a therapist any longer, but i don't have anyone to talk to either. All my concerns remain revolving around in my head with nowhere to release them. It is pretty hard, but its good knowing that i'm not the only one suffering. This site is brilliant for contact of those who understand our health, because i don't even think my gastroenterologist realises quite what crohns is like to live with.

I am awaiting twin girl great, great nieces. They will be delivered by ceasarian (sp) section next week if they don't come naturally. They only live two minutes away which is helpful, but the household is riotous with 6 kids under 18 and all their friends there. I never can cope with it for long. But at least i can get to see them. I hope you can get to see your great grand daughter via the internet at least.

try and keep cheerful.:sun: bit of sun should help, shame we have such dull weather.

I never experienced anxiety or depression prior to being diagnosised with Crohn's 2 years ago. I have always been a worry wart but it never progressed into anxiety until just recently. With increase occupational/environmental/and physcial stressers I have found myself to have several panic attacks throughout the day. I never trully understood how people with depression felt (and I would with these individuals daily) until I felt just this way. I get so down that it is a struggle to get off the couch or moving, but than I get so anxious that I can't stop my thoughts from racing and hands from shaking. I noticed these symptoms would increase right after my remicade treatment and when I was started on prednisone, things skyrocketed and I couldn't find the right coping mechanism that worked for me. I just went to my primary this last week and was started on ativan for the anxiety and zoloft for the depression. I have even had thoughts of just up and quiting my job (something I love and worked hard to become) because i can't handle the stress like I could before. I don't want to make any of these irrational plans but trully have found it hard to cope lately. I have never felt anything close to this before. I do hope the medication helps, i tried talk therapy as well but found I would have a conflict with the therapist as I work with them on a professional level and don't know where to turn for this.

First of all, I appreciate and understand your struggle and I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. It can absolutely be disabling and sounds like it either is or is very close in your case. If you have a conflict with a therapist, I would suggest going elsewhere. I have worked with several therapists and only recently have I found one who I work really well with and who has been able to help me by leaps and bounds.

I hope you find something that works for you. Please remember that even though it's not tangible, this is a real and serious problem and you should be proud of yourself for how you've coped with it thus far. Please don't be hard on yourself for struggling. Take care of yourself.

Do you think you may have OCD? That is something that I've identified in myself and find that daft things wind me up...then a flare follows soon after. My sympathies for your condition :eek2:

Spooky1

I have bad OCDs lol. I hate to say this but i'm so stressed that i have started cutting up my temazepam tablets and taking about 2.5mg during the day. I've decided i need to be kind to myself and destress. However, i am hoping that the D3 intake will help and then get off temazepam altogether.

I definatly believe stress and axiety play a huge role in my crohns. I am the type person to internalize my stress or bite my tounge and just do things myself when there is a problem. Im convinced that this contributes greatly to my crohns and flares. Also ive had anxiety issues since i was a kid. Now i have the constant anxiet/fear/worry of where is the closest bathroom. When i start thinking about it or i am someplace where there is no restroom or im in a situation that i cant just run to the restroom sure enough it hits me. So the menal aspect is definatly there but at the same time its hard to turn it off and not think about it.

[
One thing that frustrates me is that my mental state is never mentioned, asked about, discussed at any point, even when I was briefly on an SSRI (which also effect digestion along with stress/anxiety)[/QUOTE]

You are the first person who I have come across with this opinion. I have suffered depression and anxiety for many years and I suspect they are connected to the Crohns. In my opinion we should be given the option of pyschlogical help ( if we want it ) when Crohns is persistant and has side effects. I had a thereapist for 6 years who is so good at his job that he has been promoted out of the area where I live. When I asked if I could have further assistance I was told that as I'd 6 years of therapy I should be able to deal with it myself!
Does anyone think I should make a fuss?
I have an ileostomy with short bowel syndrom and chronic frequency. I'm agraphophobic( which I don't really mind) but have noticed my mental faculties are deteriorating...short term memory loss , associated with stress, I'm sure. This last week has seen 2 mega leakages and a general feeling of unwellness.:yfaint:
Opinions would be very welcomed!

Spooky1

I feel exactly the same way and, forgive me this Paddy, but i'm so pleased i'm not the only one suffering. My anxiety is awful, my mind seems to be as much of an enemy to me as the crohns itself, not to mention joints and muscle fatigue. I suspect GPs know much better than the gastro blokes cos we visit docs for everything, and the gastro blokes never refer you to another department these days.

My memory has always been bad, but my short term memory is a complete embarrassment, but at least I laugh at it. It is worrying though.

So, I have noticed an overwhelming amount of people on here mentioning that they take an anti-anxiety drug for stress or anxiety. I myself take the occasional klonopin. I have to ask, is there a link, direct or indirect, between crohn's disease and anxiety issues? How many people take something for their anxiety? Is it caused by the stress of the disease? Have we as crohnies developed into highly anxious people because of it? Is there an effect on the brain of the disease itself, through blood deficiencies or something indirect? Is this common amongst people who deal with a chronic illness?
Yes I just learned there is!thank god I thought I was going crazy.....this link describes it beautifully :)hope everyone feels better~

drstevenenningerdailyblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/why-people-with-colitis-and-crohn.html

The biggest link between Crohn's and anxiety for me was with meds. I got terribly anxious on prednisone. In the evenings I'd get this abstract sense that something dreadful was going to happen. It stopped when I came off the drug.

Whether I'm normally anxious or not depends on how you're defining anxiety, and whether you include things like depression. I don't think I'm depressed any more than is inevitable for someone in my situation, which doesn't just include being chronically ill but various other factors.

I'm definitely more of a worrier now than I used to be. I think this is because so many bad things have happened to me. I've learnt to expect bad things will happen. I worry a lot about illness or injury striking my family and even my pets. I don't like being in a car. I don't drive, but even as a passenger I think constantly how unsafe driving seems. I worry what will happen if I ever can't get a hold of my medications - what if they stop making them? What if my doctors refuse to prescribe them any more? Being ill gives you lots of things to worry about.

I've heard that most young people believe they are invincible. This is usually said in the context of teenage boys speeding in their cars - they think nothing can harm them. Because I know that my body can and does fail, I don't have this invincibility complex. I assume the worst will happen, to myself and others.

Because my illnesses make me quite incapable and dependent, I worry about how I'd cope if my family weren't around. Having been abused, I don't trust easily, especially doctors who have so much power over you and who put you in such vulnerable positions - e.g. when you're unconcious having surgery.

I don't have panic attacks, and my anxiety is not to the point where it interferes with my life or stops me from doing anything, but it is odd that I never used to think about all these things. I think this comes from being ill and from being abused.

I've never taken a med for anxiety. However I was prescribed amitriptyline for insomnia, which is an antidepressent which is also used to treat anxiety disorders. However, anxiety can also be a side effect in some people. It makes me feel much more calmer, however, sometimes I wonder whether it's contributing to my anxiety. I know that sounds contradictory, but it does seem sometimes that although I'm feeling calm, my thoughts are anxious ones. This is one of the medications I worry about not being able to get a hold of.

The biggest link between Crohn's and anxiety for me was with meds. I got terribly anxious on prednisone. In the evenings I'd get this abstract sense that something dreadful was going to happen. It stopped when I came off the drug.

Whether I'm normally anxious or not depends on how you're defining anxiety, and whether you include things like depression. I don't think I'm depressed any more than is inevitable for someone in my situation, which doesn't just include being chronically ill but various other factors.

I'm definitely more of a worrier now than I used to be. I think this is because so many bad things have happened to me. I've learnt to expect bad things will happen. I worry a lot about illness or injury striking my family and even my pets. I don't like being in a car. I don't drive, but even as a passenger I think constantly how unsafe driving seems. I worry what will happen if I ever can't get a hold of my medications - what if they stop making them? What if my doctors refuse to prescribe them any more? Being ill gives you lots of things to worry about.

I've heard that most young people believe they are invincible. This is usually said in the context of teenage boys speeding in their cars - they think nothing can harm them. Because I know that my body can and does fail, I don't have this invincibility complex. I assume the worst will happen, to myself and others.

Because my illnesses make me quite incapable and dependent, I worry about how I'd cope if my family weren't around. Having been abused, I don't trust easily, especially doctors who have so much power over you and who put you in such vulnerable positions - e.g. when you're unconcious having surgery.

I don't have panic attacks, and my anxiety is not to the point where it interferes with my life or stops me from doing anything, but it is odd that I never used to think about all these things. I think this comes from being ill and from being abused.

I've never taken a med for anxiety. However I was prescribed amitriptyline for insomnia, which is an antidepressent which is also used to treat anxiety disorders. However, anxiety can also be a side effect in some people. It makes me feel much more calmer, however, sometimes I wonder whether it's contributing to my anxiety. I know that sounds contradictory, but it does seem sometimes that although I'm feeling calm, my thoughts are anxious ones. This is one of the medications I worry about not being able to get a hold of.

Regarding Amitriptylene (which I use myself every night) I have just read an article in the magazine of the Crohns and Colitis UK group. It makes clear that high doses of Ami were used as antidepressant. Now it is well recognised that pain relief is achieved in smaller doses and it also slows bowel function. Together these things give me a nights sleep. Confusion arises because Ami is only licensed as an antidepressant, because the manufacturers patent has expired making the drug very cheap. Therefore there is zero incentive for the drug company to apply for a new license and the medication leaflet does not address the real uses and benefits of Ami to those of us with Crohns.

Hope that helps!

Spooky1

I can totally relate to you UnXmas. I seem to have mega insecurities. Anxiety and depression are diabolical at times. I worry about any journey, but actually due to muscle weakness and arthritis in the joints I don't travel very far!!! I just get far too exhausted before I have travelled any distance. I too worry like mad about medications.

I also worry about examinations as its a bit like sexual abuse when you're 12 and nobody forewarned me that they were going to whizz my bra up above boobs, nor whizz the undies down flip me over and put that finger up the bum. I think its possibly different in this day and age, but I hated it. I am sorry that you too have felt abuse.

I sincerely hope you are able to recover well enough as you are young and recovery would make such a difference to the rest of your life.

Paul Cronk - thanks for the information. Amitriptyline does seem to have all sorts of different effects on me.

Spooky 1 - I'm so sorry that you're feeling the same. I've had some pretty insensitive examiniations as well. I hate the "finger up the bum" test! I do have a very nice colorectal specialist now, which makes it easier, but I get so worked up when I'm seeing a new doctor and don't know what she/he is going to be like.

Hey guys I'm just wondering like since I've become poorly I keep havin panic atacks and my blood pressure goes low last night it was 90/54
I was wondering does it come with crohns and all the tummy problems ?
I had one last Night when I was watching the telly as I felt so anxious Before I got poorly nothing like this has ever happened

I don't know if it's related to the Crohn's in your case, but it could be. In any case, panic attacks are not to be trifled with, and I would think it's worth seeing a doctor about them. I hope this gets better soon! Hugs

Spooky1

I'm in agreement, my anxiety and panic attacks are far worse when I get arthritis/crohns flare up. I have started to take part of my temazepam tablet when required to help with these.

Hi All,
I need some advice on this, I have had Crohns for 16years now and it has been getting worse as time goes by. I had my 4th resection 6weeks ago and in the last 12 months have been suffering increasing joint pain. The joint pain is now so bad I am on massive amounts of strong painkillers daily just to function. The advice I need is I am now suffering anxiety attacks more often at the slightest thing. My chest gets tight I start to shake find it hard to breath and talk sometimes I think I'm going to burst into tears but thankfully haven't yet. The last attack was waiting to see my doctor I could hardly get the words out when I was trying to speak to her but I DIDN'T say anything about the anxiety as I couldn't have coped with it at that time because I was seeing her about pain I was having after my Op These attacks have steadily increased over the past few months and I am due to go back to work next month. I am on an antidepressant as well but obviously that is not helping Part of my job is teaching either one to one or in a group and the last time I did it I had to walk out just after I started because I couldn't pull myself together. I just got through the lesson. I have plucked up the courage to see my doctor this Friday and even writing this my chest is becoming tight. Are there any tablets I can ask for to help with this? I've already tried controlling my breathing ect to calm myself but it doesn't work. If I can't get this under control I could loose my job.
Thanks in advance

Spooky1

Hi there, Chally,
I'm sorry you're suffering so. I do find some pain meds add to anxiety, its not the strong painkillers is it? I hope not. However, I too have massive joint pain and stiffness/swelling/heat, I too take pain meds but I know they make my anxiety worse. yet I do suffer it anyway. I'm so sad for you. i'm not really sure how to help so i'm sending you :ghug: this hug. you need it and deserve it.

Hi Spooky thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned that the anxiety started before the painkillers and I pretty sure they are not the cause. I have no doubt though that the pain adds to it significantly.

Spooky1

Yes, there's loads on here who suffer extreme anxiety. I for one can totally identify. Crucifies the thinking doesn't it. I have had phases where it buckled me into analysis paralysis. Terrible place to be. But I have no cure, alas. Naturally I have told myself to get a grip, woman. Doesn't really help though.

Spooky1

Have you not got something like Klonopin there, Chally? I hope you can talk to your doc about this, and hopefully soon. There are plenty of people on here that take anti-anxiety meds.

Good luck. keep us posted.

When you see your doc you need to open up and ask fore something for these attacks. They can give you a short term calmer. I take bromazepam when required.

Maybe also you should sometimes let the tears flow as a good cry is therapeutic and is a natural way to reduce tension a bit. Many of us are affected the same way so never feel the symptoms are not real. Good luck.

I have had anxiety before my Crohn's was diagnosed. Now it is worse and has been for quite sometime. I am extremely fatigued during the days. Anyone else have this?

Hi there
I suspect that its impossible to have Crohns and not suffer from some form of anxiety. Lets face it, it can be a tough gig. I have had it for about 30 years now. After trying many things, i now practice zen meditation daily, excercise regularly and do yoga twice a week. It all sounds much more difficult than taking a pill but it is worth the effort. These things enable most of us to take more control over our lives. When you have Crohns, sometimes that seems impossible------trust me, its not
Col
Oh, i also sculpt, surf, and ride pushbikes---------all help

Thank you for the response. I am taking Humira and I am taking it once every 2 weeks. I do not see much of a difference. It has been about 5 months now. I need to do something. With all the discomfort and fatigue, I experience, I applaud you for your outlets. Is that something you do instead of medication? Or just an outlet to get away from the Crohn's for a while? Or both? Thanks for the response. I would love to do other things besides work but I am just so fatigued :confused2:

Hi there, I do them to avoid medication. I have had severe Crohns for 30 years and far too many operations. Zen meditation helps me a lot. I dont suggest replacing prescribed medication at all but at least the Zen is my own activity to help manage it! It only takes about 15-20 minutes a day before work. I go to a class once a week which takes about 2 hours so that isnt a big committment. I excercise daily, again before work, and that is also a great help. The fatigue levels have dropped and the Crohns is more manageable. The rest i just tend to do for fun. I was a workaholic but made the decision to cut my hours back just a tiny little bit to make sure that Crohns didnt conspire with over work to make my life a misery. It has worked

I have always been a worrier, however never experienced anxiety before until now. I left my job, am having trouble finding one, have insomnia from the anxiety.

I have used Immovane to help me sleep, but even that is now not working. I used Gravol, but it upsets my stomach.

I just want something to turn off my brain until I get a job and can move into a new apartment (neighbours are up until 1am walking on their heels and I hear everything).

What would be your recommendation? What you have taken? I have to function daily and go to interviews and study for second language tests. I need something for the night time only, so that I can relax and sleep. During the day, my anxiety is fine. I will start to learn other techniques, but at this point they do not work due to my situation.

I am seeing a psychologist, but I want to be ready to suggest something. She is trying not to medicate me as I don't wish to be either; but it has been more than a week of not sleeping or sleeping for a bit with Gravol and then feeling horrible all day.

Thanks all.
Talk to your dr about trazadone. I take it at night when I jump into bed. Turns my brain off so I am able to fall asleep. In the last four years I have slowly retrained myself & barely need it any more. Sleep is what keeps me healthier. 10 hrs a night on average is what I like. Trazadone is not addicting like other sleep aids. Hang in there.

hi there. I have studied Zen Meditation for the last 8 years and that works wonders for me. Current Doctors call it Mindfullness or Cognitive Therapy but its Zen for the most part. 20 minutes a day can make a HUGE DIFFERENCE for us all. It helps me manage my Crohns even at the worst of times

Spooky1

hi, i'm trying to get back into meditations. I like the idea of Zen Buddhism. have you seen any of Eckhart Tolle on youtube? he's quite good for us with anxiety. I think the
D3 and string B vits along with Magnesium has helped me somewhat.

Vitamins are a real help although for many of us fortunate folks with Crohns we cant absorb them too well. I agree, there are some great meditation guides on You Tube. For me I find going to my Zen class once a week and meditating 2 times a day for short periods is better than any medication i have ever been given. It helps put the anxieties, stresses, etc into the right perspective, calms the mind and thus the body, which in turn makes managing the Crohns a LOT easier. The best and easiest starting point is to simply sit down for 10 minutes, hands folded in the lap, eyes closed or nearly closed and count to 10. 1 Breath in and then out is 1 and so on. You cant ever get rid of thoughts, we are human. But when they come into your mind just observe them like a floeating leaf etc " Oh, there is a thought" and go back to 1. Its simple , its easy, you dont need any equipment, and it works. You will find when you observe the thought, you will also observe your reaction to it. So it then becomes "Oh there is that thought and that queezy feeling that goes with it! " Soon you will see that the minute you do this they drift off. Same applies to pain to an extent. The joy of Zen is that it isnt religuous, it is simple and easy and works. The head of my Zen Comunity is an Anglican Priest! The key thing is that you are taking control !! So much of what we go through with IBS and Crohns is about losing control, with meditation your the boss!
Good luck, happy sitting - I KNOW it will make a huge difference for you.

Thanks all.
i have found zoloft and kalonapin at night helps all night for sleep and most the day with stress hope it helps if you doctor gives it a try

Hey there
Like you i quit my job. For me i was working enormous hours and travelling the world with new technologies we had developed and it was giving the Crohn's an excuse to beat me up! THat said, I have had it for the last 35 years, had a lot of surgery and had a few really close calls. I have worked all around the world during that time but the Crohns has always made that a challenge. Despite all of that i am now healthier than most of my friends at my age and take no medication. That route isnt for everyone i hasten to add, medication is really important. Your spot on ..........I have outlets that reduce that requirement in my case and have taken the problem of anxiety, exhaustion and insomnia and turned them down to an annoying background noise! Doesnt mean i dont get a good kick from Uncle Crohn's from time to time ........I can just manage it better these days! So what do I do? Most importantly I meditate twice a day, I surf, I sculpt, I garden, I ride motorbikes , I travel etc! I rest when i need to and am no longer trying to prove to the world that i can work 900 hours a week despite the Crohn's. I have my consultancy business and I am about to start a PhD ( when i get around to it!)

Sounds impossible for you at the moment? I thought it was for me a few years ago...........its not. You can and will do it, you will be in charge and taking positive steps to a really happy life. Crohns or not! :ycool:

Go get em!

Son had a good week, then today he got somewhat stressed out and his stomach fell apart for a couple of hours.

We learned that he's still in remission just today.

Hey guys,

I've just started CBT as well, or cognitive behavioral therapy! I've only done one session so far... it's for generalized anxiety, which peaked last year when my doctor told me I had to have a bowel resection, I was only 21 at the time and an absolute wreck. I've always been a worrier but I'm very down to earth so I knew the anxiety wasn't normal.
Pretty much since then I've suffered from pretty bad anxiety, but particularly in public situations, if I don't know where the bathroom is, not feeling well that day, my tummy makes loud noises and everyone stares at me at uni haha (I'm doing my Masters at the moment). To make matter worse I had a really bad flare up three weeks ago, and now on top of imuran, pentasa and pariet am on prednisilone. I find I also stress about being on so many meds at 23 and wondering what the long term effects will be!