• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you have to be in a full blown flare to have other symptoms of Crohn's?

I have a question about fatigue and joint pain. I'm currently taking Humira every 2 weeks. I'm not in an 'active' flare but have been noticing some pain where my Crohn's usually hurts. But I have been very tired and my joints hurt, especially my hips. So my question is if your experiencing mild symptoms would you have fatigue and joint pain.

nogutsnoglory

Flares sort of operate on a continuum in my personal opinion. You have 1 being zero manifestations to 10 being full blown disease. Most of the time we lie along the continuum and we may experience some symptoms.

Joint pain and fatigue are pretty common with IBD. I along with many others are part of that club.

I also have had pain in my hips/lower back as the only manifestations of Crohn's. Some mornings it would take me 10 min to "roll" out of bed!
Humira helped me a lot with joint pain for about 3 years until I developed anti body to it. It is a disease with many faces!

Personally I'd say no to the flare question..
My abdominal/GI symptoms at present are significantly unremarkable.
I've had a couple of bouts of SERIOUS, slow to resolve, iritis (always after a big D episode)
The first episode was associated with a R ankle full blown arthritis, and moderate urethritis.
A follow up colonoscopy a few months ago was visually and histologically normal..
BUT, I have continuing SI joint nocturnal pain, keep a close watch on costochondritis, and a few months ago developed anterior pretibial soreness/inflamed skin reaction (??erythema nodosum - probably..)
So for me, the EIMs far outweigh the GI aspects of the disease, and I am perpetually vigilant for new "odd" symptoms that may declare a new inflammatory diagnosis, even tho the bowel is "quiet"

HD

I agree with the continuum suggestion. I am officially in remission, docs are happy because My last colonoscopy showed no Crohns. I am never pain free, doc says it is just irritable bowel, eyes are sore, joints not great. Even in remission I will have mouth ulcers and need about two hours each morning to feel safe enough to leave home due to urgent bathroom visits. Fatigue is constant and even though the docs are pleased, I am having to give up work because of the difficulties Crohns has caused.

Are you sure that the joint pains and fatigue aren't being caused by humira? I could barely walk when I was on it.
Im not sure because some days I feel fine and others I feel like Im dying with pain and fatigue. Its so frustrating. My last scope showed I had inflamation but I wasnt having symptoms...so strange this disease :ybatty:

Im not sure because some days I feel fine and others I feel like Im dying with pain and fatigue. Its so frustrating. My last scope showed I had inflamation but I wasnt having symptoms...so strange this disease :ybatty:
Do you feel fine after the shot and worse when the next injection date is coming up?

It's a weird condition I,ve just had bloods done absolutely perfect seemingly but I,ve been testing the house plumbing for days pain you name it all the usual symptoms,very frustrating,but it,ll settle down.i feel even when I,m well there's an elephant in the room.good luck

You know I have not ever paid attention to that. I'm taking my shot tonight so I will definitely pay more attention to it. Thank you
Let me know what happens. Unfortunately, it could be a side effect. Talk to your doctor if you find the timing of your shot matches with the problems you're having.