• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone heard of this book

There is a thread here about several books that claim to cure CD. Here is a posters thoughts on the book you mention and the link below the quote is the thread it's in

Don't bother buying No More Crohn's Disease. I just spent $30 on an eDownload and it doesn't offer anything that any of us don't already know (it basically suggests peppermint tea, slippery elm, boswellia). It also suggests avoiding prune juice and seeds, among other things. Duh! I feel like a fool.
www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=16273

Scipio

I am not familiar with the product but the websites reek of Scam

Here is my rule of thumb for distinguishing real medical science from pseudo-science and scams:

Real science makes modest, realistic claims backed up by data from rigorous clinical trials, and those claims will come with all sorts of cautions and limitations.
Pseudo-science and scams makes extravagant claims of miracle cures backed up primarily by testimonials or anecdotal stories. If there is any data at all it will be from small, uncontrolled studies.

Real science publishes its data in respectable, peer-reviewed medical journals.
Pseudo-science and scams publish their “evidence” in a book or video that the author will try to sell to you.

Real Science will direct you to talk to your doctor to determine whether this treatment may be of benefit to you.
Pseudo-science and scams want you to order the miracle cure directly from them. They may even discourage you from talking to your doctor by saying that mainstream medicine is all part of a big conspiracy to keep you from the miraculous True Cure.

I guess if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

It's hard not to grasp at straws. I feel like there are so many variables with CD (and I am going to include all IBD in this) that its hard to decide what to do. The medications are scary and not a lot "known' about our own, its easy to get caught up in scams, they say what we want to here while many times are Drs are still shaking their heads at us.

Just be careful and ask questions until you understand and "get it". Even with your own Dr.

Lauren

Last edited:
I have not heard of the book. My initial reaction is, I wonder what the authors definition of a cure is? Her ideas might very well cure a testing measurement or some part of the disease, but her definition of a cure and your idea of a favorable health outcome might be greatly different.

That is a problem I've found in the health care industry. The definition of a cure and my expectations can vary greatly. There are several examples that come to mind, but an example of this can be seen with high cholesterol.

Many say that high cholesterol is a disease. With that there are several remedies to cure high cholesterol. The most common high cholesterol cure are statin drugs.

The definition of curing high cholesterol and preventing heart disease might be different from what one is expecting though. Statin medications do not prevent heart attacks all that greatly on an absolute risk measurement. (The often reported relative risk is a different story).

There are studies showing overall health outcomes with taking statins as not improved. Basically, life span is not increased all that much by taking statins. So overall, a persons high cholesterol is likely cured by taking a statin medication, but the all important health outcome is not likely improved as one would hope. (Additionally statins come with common side effects of muscle pains, memory problem, etc, which is something to take into consideration.)

You can read about some of this here:

"Can statins extend life, and if so, by how much?"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/02/12/can-statins-extend-life-and-if-so-by-how-much/

Statins in my opinion do not really cure high Cholesterol. My dads best friend was on them and they did not lower his cholesterol very much at all so he just stopped taking them. You are right, they can have nasty side effects too. Same with Blood pressure medicine. My dad had High blood pressure ( like 166/110 and sometimes higher). He refused to take the medications they use to treat it due to the adverse reactions to them. My MIL told me about a natural herb called Hawthorne berry that naturally lowers BP without all the side effects. I put my dad on this and his Blood pressure came down and it hovers around 138/80 sometimes lower, which I would say is pretty good for his age ( he is 70 yrs old). He told his brother about it and he started taking it and it has lowered his BP as well.

I agree though with you, you have to be careful how your interpret the word "cure". I do believe that there is a cure for these diseases out there, but it is finding the root cause that can be so complex. The human body is very complex and so many things we still do not understand. They are doing lots of research into the Microbiome of the body as they think this plays a Huge role in many disease manifestations.

I have not heard of the book. My initial reaction is, I wonder what the authors definition of a cure is? Her ideas might very well cure a testing measurement or some part of the disease, but her definition of a cure and your idea of a favorable health outcome might be greatly different.

That is a problem I've found in the health care industry. The definition of a cure and my expectations can vary greatly. There are several examples that come to mind, but an example of this can be seen with high cholesterol.

Many say that high cholesterol is a disease. With that there are several remedies to cure high cholesterol. The most common high cholesterol cure are statin drugs.

The definition of curing high cholesterol and preventing heart disease might be different from what one is expecting though. Statin medications do not prevent heart attacks all that greatly on an absolute risk measurement. (The often reported relative risk is a different story).

There are studies showing overall health outcomes with taking statins as not improved. Basically, life span is not increased all that much by taking statins. So overall, a persons high cholesterol is likely cured by taking a statin medication, but the all important health outcome is not likely improved as one would hope. (Additionally statins come with common side effects of muscle pains, memory problem, etc, which is something to take into consideration.)

You can read about some of this here:

"Can statins extend life, and if so, by how much?"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/02/12/can-statins-extend-life-and-if-so-by-how-much/

Ihurt,

It really has been surprising to me at how cure is defined for many diseases. It has me scratching my head sometimes.

It sounds like our parents are around the same age. Mine are now retired and starting to view going to the hospital as a fun event. Later they get together with friends and talk about the latest medical tests done and results. It's humorous for me to see. They seem to the enjoy it though. Tonight they are having such a gathering.

Early this year my father began to worry about his blood pressure. He felt it was getting to high. His readings were low I thought, but it's one of those health things he worries over and discusses with friends. I showed dad studies that found lowering moderately high blood pressure did not result in improved health outcomes. While the medications lowered blood pressure, ones life was not improved or extended. He agreed with the studies I showed him, but still wanted to try the blood pressure medications. He doctor was happy to write a prescription. The blood pressure medication made him sick though and so after a few weeks he stopped taking them.

He's found something else to lower his blood pressure to a range that pleases him. I doubt it will extend his life, but he's happy so that is what counts.

Whenever anyone says 'cure' online or in a book I dont listen because if it worked the medical profession would have tested it and rolled it out. Itd be huge news. It reminds me of the endless emails with links my friend used to send 'salmon cures crohns', 'coconut milk cures crohns'and even no dairy cures stomach cancer (my mums partner has that). For some people it might help there symptoms, it might be a placebo effect or its just a scam to get a book deal etc. I say go with what works with you with meds and food and do your best until maybe one day a real cure is big news everywhere.

The most common high cholesterol cure are statin drugs.

I agree with Ihurt that statins are not a cure. Actually, practically nothing the allopathic medical profession offers is a cure - perhaps, if you stretch it, with the exception of antibiotics.

It's because this is a big business of ongoing disease management. Statins, as an example, manipulate a "marker of disease" - cholesterol without curing the real cause of high cholesterol (so you end up being on these drugs for life), and without doing much benefit to almost anyone.

It is important for the public to recognize that most of the "scientific" research in favor of cholesterol-lowering statins is flawed and fraudulent (read Dr. Uffe Ravnskov's work).

The most reliable evidence has long tied statin use with memory problems, muscle disorders, liver damage, cataracts, nerve damage, pancreatitis, erectile dysfunction, brain dysfunction, diabetes, and with an increased risk of cancer and higher mortality (statins only somewhat reduce the risk of non-fatal heart attacks).

The physiological mechanisms of how statins do serious damage are also well understood, such as by their impairment of oxidative cell metabolism, the increase in inflammation and cell destruction, the lowering of cholesterol and steroid hormone production, the promotion of pancreatic injury, etc. - rather thoroughly explained in this scholarly article on how statins, and a cholesterol-lowering popular diet pill advertised by Dr. Oz, promote diabetes if you google "Do Garcinia Cambogia Side Effects Boost Diabetes?" - look at Figure 7 to see how irrational it is to block the production of cholesterol!

Also, older people with HIGH cholesterol live longer than those with low cholesterol levels (see above mentioned article for numerous scientific study references confirming this).

The real truth is that statins have almost no real benefit in the very vast majority of users. They do more harm than good (read Uffe Ravnskov's "The Cholesterol Myths" and Malcolm Kendrick's "The Great Cholesterol Con"). It's one of many "scientific" scams of the mainstream medical business.

I keep putting the book down, but I've been on and off reading a book on healing with electrical current. It isn't new medicine. Some of the ideas the doctor researched, Dr. Becker, are widely used today for stimulating bone growth and relieving pain.

It's an older book, and the doctor makes some fascinating historical observations to me about how medicine changed greatly during his life time, in particular when antibiotics came out. As he mentioned, Rockefeller and his promotion of allopathic medicine, along with antibiotics completely changed the medical industry, in some respects making it better, but in other areas he felt, made things much worse.