• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Optimal amount of Protien

I've heard from few here that they consume 100g- 200 g protien. I believe I understood that the amt necessary was 30-50g. Is it because we have inflammation that we may need more? I'm interested on your experiences as well as my GI has said nothing about this. I will speak to a nutritionist thought regarding this. Someone also game this link and was wondering what your thoughts are on this.
Also how much is your protien intake?
Thanks

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741515

I cant post links yet but look on bodybuilding dot com. Very insightful and they have done extensive testing on protein amounts in various diets. I learned from reading and experiences from body builders much larger than I am.

I cant post links yet but look on bodybuilding dot com. Very insightful and they have done extensive testing on protein amounts in various diets. I learned from reading and experiences from body builders much larger than I am.
Thanks on the perspective from weightlifting, but I'm wondering if you or anyone else here knows if we need more protein based on our condition.

And no doubt influenced by financial interests because their money is all in selling protein powders.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gainit/comments/3xax7z/review_of_150_studies_on_protein_says_you_only/

TL;DR about 1g / kg of body weight

MPS rate levels off with increasing dose of protein, this levels off at around 20g. Supporting evidence shows that diets containing 1.5 or 3.0g protein/kg LBM/day in both young and elderly had NO difference in MPS.
(MPS= muscle protein synthesis)

Thanks on the perspective from weightlifting, but I'm wondering if you or anyone else here knows if we need more protein based on our condition.
Eating more protein is not the solution, improving your digestion of protein is. If you're worried about it there's likely some testing you can get done. Ask your doctor about doing an amino acid assay to see if you have sufficient blood levels of amino acids, because that's the only reason we need protein.

If you have trouble digesting protein look into betaine HCL and pancreatin supplements, or other digestive enzymes.

"Protein is a critical food group for everyone. Most adults need about 10 to 11 ounces of a protein food each day. The best way to eat this is to have two portions daily of 4 to 5 ounces each of a protein food." http://drlwilson.com/articles/PROTEIN2.htm

Also from that article: "I find that everyone needs to eat some high-protein foods today. However, eating too much of them, especially too much eggs, (more than about 10 eggs per week) is not ideal and causes intestinal auto-intoxication"