• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hair Issues

Grace is having thinning, dandruff and tangled hair lately.

I feel it's because of Humira and or MTX and or Pred but did anyone else notice these reactions?

Did it stop? How long did it take?

Sorry I know this is vanity but it's just hard to see it in your child.:hug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
{HUGS} to you and your Princess Fw. :ghug:

Matt definitely went through a period where his hair thinned considerably and changed colour. I don’t know if the change of colour was more of an illusion though due to the hair loss.

At this time Matt had not long commenced Imuran but in our case I think it had as much to do with his very poor physical condition as anything else. Once he gained remission, post surgery, his hair thickened up with a vengeance. :)

Dusty. xxx

A has significant hair loss with the mtx. It is to the point that it is noticeable because you see her scalp through her hair. The Rheumo noticed it right away and said it sometimes happens even with the lower doses our kids are on. In A's case it is somewhat of a blessing because it lets the doctors know that her body is absorbing the mtx, it just isn't working for her. Meaning upping her dose isn't going to help.

C did not have hair loss with the pill form of MTX but it started right after the injection form. I didn't make the connection right away but then remembered a thread here about it. His hair is so thick it is not noticeable yet.

Johnny lost some hair when he started Prednisone and 6mp. I don't know which drug caused the hair loss, but it has stopped and he seems to have gotten his normal head of hair back.

Maya142

Staff member
M lost hair on mtx. She had pretty thick hair so it wasn't really that noticeable (except to her). It grew back once we stopped the mtx.

No MTX but pred and Imuran and I have horrible tangling and falling out hair. I'm hoping once I go off the pred it will subside.

Lucy has serious scalp issues with humira - derm thinks it maybe humira induced psoriasis but we have it pretty much under control with a cream and shampoo (started off daily) once a week now. Hair thining I have noticed in last few weeks GI thinks methotrexate am not overtly concerned as she has loads for now and GI said he may stop methotrexate in a few months. If it doesn't improve ask for referral to dermatologist
It is hard to see - Lucy loves her hair and hates if it's any less than perfect and in the scheme of what's going on with our kids this is minor enough from a medical stance however for Lucy it major and the scalp issue caused her more distress than anything else cause she was worried about her hair.

Maddie is on Humira and I have noticed when I brush and do her hair lots falls out. But the Humira is working great so I guess we will have to deal with it.

theOcean

Not a parent, but wanted to chime in that I always experience hair loss with prednisone, sometimes quite badly. It comes back though once you're off of it. :) I haven't experienced it with Humira, or any other medication I've been on.

Hi again, I am seeing a significant amount of thinning hair aswell, I am 12 months on low dose of prednisone and 4 months on Humira ! I thought it was just a natural thing because I am 41 now ! Cheers. Con.

Emily has been on 6-MP for three weeks now and I have noticed her long blonde hair everywhere. It is a possible side effect of the medication. I will tell our doctor at the next appointment. :(

Thanks everyone.
I know it's minor and in the whole scheme of this is nothing but I guess every little thing makes me concerned the drugs aren't working. It's good to hear from others that it's not that uncommon.:kiss:

HAPPY EASTER:ghug:

theOcean

Thanks everyone.
I know it's minor and in the whole scheme of this is nothing but I guess every little thing makes me concerned the drugs aren't working. It's good to hear from others that it's not that uncommon.:kiss:

HAPPY EASTER:ghug:
Oh, no, if anything I'd think it's a sign that the drug is working, haha. It's just an unfortunate temporary side-effect. :hug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Happy Easter to you and little ones Fw. :ghug:

I personally find these sort of things heartbreaking too. :( As you say, they are minor, as such, in the scheme of things but seeing things like this in what is largely an unseen disease makes it all the more confronting at how just how much our children have to endure.

Easter bunnies for your babies!

Dusty.

I've always been the type of person to avoid putting drugs into my body. I prefer natural/ holistic treatments if possible. It just kills me that I have to put these chemicals into my child's body. I WISH there was some other way!

my son had some thinning hair with 6mp and psoriasis and scalp issues with Remicade. I like Neutrogena T-Sal, helps clear it up. He still has some dandruff on Humira, but it's not too bad. We also use a mild steroid oil for the skin issues

I can't speak for the hair thinning-but the detangling. Reese was about the same age as yours when hair become a nightmare (pre-crohns). Tangling and a sensitive head remains tough for us. Lots of conditioner, leave-in conditioning spray and a special "wet-brush" has helped. Reese's hair really changed
Around age 5.

Yes, Kians hair is definitely a lot finer since being on mxt too, his hair was always soooo thick but he keeps it long so you don't notice so much. Xx

My 9 yo son has always had a mop of thick, somewhat course, hair. When on prednisone last year, he started to develop 'unibrow', and grew longer hair on his arms and legs. That went away when he stopped the prednisone. He is on MTX injections now and I have not noticed any difference in his hair one way or the other.