• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Yoghurt?

Any recent scientific findings or personal experience? Any benefits?

VSL#3, Mutaflor and all the other probiotics seem have a positive impact on the disease, don't they? My nutritionist is a lover of plain sour milk products and is of the opinion that it is essential.
So, any data or experience of you guys? Would be highly appreciated. :)

Gianni

I take VSL#3 for a few months after any flare up or Colonoscopy that I have in an attempt to jump start my gut flora. I don't, however, subscribe to being on supplemental probiotics for very long because these supplements more often than not only contain a few probiotic strains of the literal millions. Some studies support that probiotics like VSL#3 help on a limited basis and for a short period of time.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002586/

Probiotics, including E. coli Nissle 1917, LGG, and VSL#3 are as effective as standard therapy (mesalamine) in inducing or maintaining remission in UC or CD. When added to standard therapy, probiotics do not provide additional benefit compared with standard therapy alone. Most probiotics tested to date are not more effective than placebo in inducing or maintaining IBD remission.
Personally I will supplement probiotics if i feel i need them. When I have diarrhea or pain I will take 1 dose of a probiotic with 1 meal a day for a few weeks until the diarrhea is consistently gone. After that i don't believe probiotics are important and can even be harmful so I just try to eat plenty of vegetables and let my body promote its own environment of healthy gut flora without pushing certain probiotic strains on it day after day in fear it will create an imbalance.

Gianni

Any recent scientific findings or personal experience? Any benefits?

VSL#3, Mutaflor and all the other probiotics seem have a positive impact on the disease, don't they? My nutritionist is a lover of plain sour milk products and is of the opinion that it is essential.
So, any data or experience of you guys? Would be highly appreciated. :)
I have been using VSL ever since diagnosis and it makes me feel calmer in my stomach. As I'm aware of studies only show it being beneficial to UC, however alot of people claim it does help with Crohn's too, going to check with my GI again just to confirm if it is good on a constant basis.

Just to give you guys an update regarding my yoghurt trial ;-)
I'm eating quite a lot of yoghurt already, plain of course, and it seems to help my gastritis and nausea and I have less loose bm's. No change in pain level etc.
It's acidophilus rich yoghurt mainly, but I change to have different bacteria (the other yoghurt's bacteria is not declared though).

Just to give you guys an update regarding my yoghurt trial ;-)
I'm eating quite a lot of yoghurt already, plain of course, and it seems to help my gastritis and nausea and I have less loose bm's. No change in pain level etc.
It's acidophilus rich yoghurt mainly, but I change to have different bacteria (the other yoghurt's bacteria is not declared though).
Have you experimented with VSL #3 yet?

In my opinion, the biggest key would be to fund grass fed yogurt.
Haha, thank you, love that suggestion, David! I'll ask my insurance company about funding it, haha. Well, actually mine is grass fed and organic, it really tastes better, but I beliefe it's because it's full fat (3.5 %) and has acidophilus and also bifidus. And I'm a very bad eater at the moment as I have zero appetite, so I'm glad I found this delicious plain yoghurt.