• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New med vs surgery

I recently was put on a new med called amitiza. It is suppose to help with the constapation and severe pain in my andaman. It so far is not showing a difference. If this does not work the last step is surgery. At this point i am just ready for the surgery. I feel like that is a failing way to be but I am just ready for the pain and discomfort to be over with.
I have had crohns/colitis for 17 years and never had to have any surgeries. I feel like that was a great accomplishment.
I just needed to vent and also need some insight to the surgery situation. I know the area that keeps blocking is in the right side just above the hip bone. I am nervous yet ready for it to be done.

Angrybird

I have not heard of this med myself so could not offer any experience on it but I was just wondering what the surgery would entail? Is the area that keeps blocking caused by scar tissue or inflammation?

I had crohn's for 18 years before my first surgery and always saw it as a last resort. In the end I actually felt great when I had the surgery but knew it was for the best as I had a high change of undetectable cancer at the time due to narrowings at the end of my colon. I went the whole hog and had my whole colon out and now I have a permanent ostomy bag. Considering that 1 - I didn't feel that ill when I decided to have the surgery and 2 - I knew I was going to end up with a bag forever, it was seriously the best thing I've ever done. I now feel like a completely normal person, never have to rush to the toilet etc, don't have any pain. Life is great.

So surgery isn't always a bad thing. I think you need to talk to a surgeon if you haven't already to discuss what the surgery would mean, what the chances are of your crohn's returning, how much you'd benefit from the surgery. Weigh up the pros and cons! At the end of the day, it's your decision. Whatever happens, I wish you the best!

I am home now recovering from bowel resection surgery. While my surgery was done as an emergency due to a perforated bowel, I was considering this surgery already. My surgery was tried as laparoscopic, but in then end had to be done open, so I have three tiny incisions and one 3 1/2 inch incision held together with staples. I was hospitalized for a total of six day. When I consulted Witt the surgeon earlier they had anticipated my. Eing hospitalized for 2-4 days.

In many ways I am relived that the decision was made for me, and I really hope that once I have physically recovered that I will be Crohns symptom free. I was relatively symptom free for about 14 years prior to this. However, since I was first diagnosed the medical protocol has changed. While I want to avoid meds, my doctor is telling me that I need to consider going on meds prophylacticly.

The surgery was hard, but I am glad that it is now done. Good luck deciding what to do.

How long have you been on Amitiza? It's not really a new drug...it's been around since like 2008, I think. That is prescribed only for patients with constipation that have failed other measures, as it is a powerful drug. Your doctor may need to increase the dosage. Are you taking it every day?

2thfairy: I have been on it for a couple of weeks. He has me doing it twice a day along with miralax. Extreme nausia and still pain on the abs.
Angrybird: I have not seen a surgion yet. he wants to try this a while longer and then in two weeks if there is no change i will see a surgeon.
Thanks to everyone for the comments and help.

And still no improvement? EEK!! I bet all of that every day is causing a large bit of your nausea, you poor thing!! Wow...

I feel the best I have in 20 years since I had my colon removed. Surgery is not an easy decision, but it can be a new start with new possibilities. I currently have an ileostomy and am loving life!

I hope you will find relief soon. My heart goes out to you.

Amitiza is a drug that is used for people who have IBS constipation. Usually they give it to people who are pretty bad. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I really hope the med helps, but whatever happens, I hope in the end you can be pain free and feel better....

I recently was put on a new med called amitiza. It is suppose to help with the constapation and severe pain in my andaman. It so far is not showing a difference. If this does not work the last step is surgery. At this point i am just ready for the surgery. I feel like that is a failing way to be but I am just ready for the pain and discomfort to be over with.
I have had crohns/colitis for 17 years and never had to have any surgeries. I feel like that was a great accomplishment.
I just needed to vent and also need some insight to the surgery situation. I know the area that keeps blocking is in the right side just above the hip bone. I am nervous yet ready for it to be done.

Ended up going to er last night. Found out I am still full of stool and also my gullbladder is bad. The er doctor wants me to follow up with my gi on Monday so he decide where WWE go from here.

So after two months of meds and severe constipation for three we are doing a colonoscopy to discover how much they are going to remove from me and where. I am nervous but ready to get things heading in the right direction again. I would love any insight to surgery that you may have.

Hi Shalin. You'll find lots of information and experiences here. Of course it's not the nicest thing to have to go through, but when the meds are not working it may be the best option. I feel better now, even more so than I did when I was told I was in remission after having Infliximab.

I took amatiza for months before I had my resection. It was the ONLY way I could go. It came out as diahrrea all the time. But at least it came out. It draws water into your bowels and that is how it works unlike a laxitive. It it not a cure but a band aid to get you through to surgery IMHO

still recovering from an illeocolectomy myself...they removed a few inches and the Ileocecal valve...doing okay but it takes some time for the body to re-learn how to work so when you get out and home, be prepared to give it time.

I tried amatiza for a while and it made me vomit on a daily basis. Been on miralax 3 times day and aliegn. It still is not working. I have a snake like movement once every 5 days. And severe right side ab pain. I hope vdragon you do well. And thanks to everyone for the insight.