• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can taking Imuran/Azathioprine alone put you in remission?

I've been on Imuran (150mg) for almost a year. These last couple of months have been a little rough for me because it seems like im in a little flair right now after recovering from a cold. I took a blood test and my inflammation markers were perfect but i'm having abdominal pain and an increase of bathroom urgency. Im getting worried that Imuran has stopped working.

What's even more weird is that the pain and urgency goes away for a couple of days and comes back randomly. Again, im just worried that the medicine has stopped working.

Can imuran/azathioprine alone put someone back in remission?

theOcean

If you feel like you need an extra nudge, you could always try going on a short course of prednisone, or entocort, and then continue on just the Imuran. Either way, you should probably talk to your GI. They may also mention changing your treatment plan if Imuran alone isn't enough to control things.

It may be that you're not absorbing the medication properly if your stomach is upset, too. Were you put on any medication while you were sick?

If you feel like you need an extra nudge, you could always try going on a short course of prednisone, or entocort, and then continue on just the Imuran. Either way, you should probably talk to your GI. They may also mention changing your treatment plan if Imuran alone isn't enough to control things.

It may be that you're not absorbing the medication properly if your stomach is upset, too. Were you put on any medication while you were sick?
Thanks for the reply. No I wasn't on any other medication. I just rode it out for a couple of weeks till it was gone, but after the cold went away my problems now emerged. I was thinking the same thing and trying a 30 day prednisone course, starting at 40mg.

I'm kinda in a bind right now because I have no insurance so I think I'm going to try to prednisone and hopefully that does the trick. I just really hope this works. :frown:

Thanks for the reply. No I wasn't on any other medication. I just rode it out for a couple of weeks till it was gone, but after the cold went away my problems now emerged. I was thinking the same thing and trying a 30 day prednisone course, starting at 40mg.

I'm kinda in a bind right now because I have no insurance so I think I'm going to try to prednisone and hopefully that does the trick. I just really hope this works.:frown:
Do you have access to medicaid or social security to help with medicine? Or maybe s church?