• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Military

Hello i have crohns and i want to get in the army i have talked to the recruiting officer and he said it could happen if i was off my remicade. Does anyone know how i would go about getting off ??

Not sure about US, but in Canada, it's possible to stay in if you are diagnosed after you have joined, but getting in if you already are diagnosed is highly doubtful.

In Canada, Remicade is one of the things that gives the medical folks grounds to release a member, even if they are not currently on it. They consider your total Crohn's history., not just the right now.

kiny

In Europe, at least here I don't know about other countries, you can go into the army if you have crohn's disease, regardless of medication.

Btw, just wondering, are you really sure you want to base your medication on what some recruiting officer tells you. Make sure it is worth it and you don't just change medication just to please someone and end up regretting anything.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
What would you be on instead of the Remicade? And, why were you put on it in the first place? Uncontrollable symptoms, fistulas, no other meds worked etc?

Also, please look here BEFORE you decide to stop taking any medicine that is currently working for you - as Crohns' Disease is listed as a disqualifying condition -
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/abdominal.htm

Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces.

I know it said its a disqualifier but if i stop meds i have been symptoms. Free for over two years so i can get a waiver with help from my doctor it is still possible to get in . Its a dream of mine and if it means dealing with pain and suffering then so be it. But i will not stop trying

I highly doubt it's "waiverable". I also cannot imagine a doctor would help you join the military. There are certain ailments that just cannot sustain life in the military. Unfortunately that's just the way it is.

I highly doubt it's "waiverable". I also cannot imagine a doctor would help you join the military. There are certain ailments that just cannot sustain life in the military. Unfortunately that's just the way it is.
To echo what ThanksP said, deploying somebody who has Crohn's is very risky. Even if you're in remission, the stress of being deployed, being shot at, being in an unknown environment can trigger a flare and you could require immediate medical attention. Depending on where you are and what your job is, this could put others at risk, and waste resources to evacuate you. Of course not all of being in the military is about deployment, but if you're not deployable, you're not employable. Soldier first.

I have been in the Canadian Forces for 7 years, I was diagnosed in November. I'm waiting for a decision from the medical folks, but my career is pretty much done. Sure I can do my job in garrison, and I do it well but deployment is pretty much unrealistic. On deployment you can't control what you eat, you can't control when you sleep, you may not have access to running water or proper washrooms and medical treatment is limited. Most military doctor's don't have the first clue about Crohn's, and the military pharmacies don't carry Crohn's releated medications. This is fine while you're in Garrison, they can order it and have it the next day, but when you're in the middle of nowhere, fat chance.

Sometimes you have to change your dreams. My dream was to some day be the director of Food Services in the Canadian Forces, now I'm not sure what my dream is, but I'll figure it out, and figure out some other way to contribute back to society.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
The thing is if they let you in they know they are having to provide you with medical care from that point forward. Basically this rest of your life if you use the VA hospital systems. I don't know of any waver in there system that would let you in. If you were in the military and then was diagnosed you would most likely be discharged. I have read of a few cases that people stayed in after being diagnosed, but I would think it was rare.

If I was you I would do some serious soul searching about this. I couldn't imagine being deployed and having a serious flare. In some situations you would be putting not only yourself, but those you are serving with in danger because of your health. I know I wouldn't want to serve with me in a dangerous situation. It is admirable you want to serve your country, but this disease makes us do things differently then we have planned all the time.

The last time I deployed I was not yet diagnosed but was having a lot of symptoms. I can tell you there is no way I would recommend this. Like others have said there are no facilities in the theater to treat this. At the time I always thought it was something I ate, I had no idea I had Crohn's.

Instead of joining the military are there any veterans organizations you can either try to get a job at or volunteer at? You may not be able to join the military but giving back to veterans is a different way you could make your dream come true. Visiting vets in a veterans home or VA hospital would be one of the ways you can give back. There are some people in there that never get visitors and that means the world to them.

Best of luck to you.

The other thing to think about is if your recruiter, or you, were to fail to mention the Crohn's you can get in a lot of trouble too. You run the risk of a dishonorable discharge that will follow you for the rest of your life.

I think it is beyond admirable that you want to join the Army. This country needs more people like you. But Crohn's/UC and the military are not compatible. I think it's a great idea to find another way to channel your love of military and country.

Ok sorry to mooch off your question but I wanna join to be in army band. I only have had one flare when I was 13 I'm 19 now and my doctor even said my 6mp is on a really low dose and is very low in my blood stream. I have ADHD whitch of have to get off my medication for as well but that I know will work. Is it true that if I get off my crohns medication and am stil doing ok I can go?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ok sorry to mooch off your question but I wanna join to be in army band. I only have had one flare when I was 13 I'm 19 now and my doctor even said my 6mp is on a really low dose and is very low in my blood stream. I have ADHD whitch of have to get off my medication for as well but that I know will work. Is it true that if I get off my crohns medication and am stil doing ok I can go?
Probably not, unfortunately. You still have a diagnosis, which means the disease could rear its head at any time. There are many other careers that you could consider that still are service careers if that is truly what you want to do. If you ever get into Albany I'd be happy to meet up at the Plaza some time to talk.