• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm a Newbie and I need your help.

Hello everyone,

I've read these forums before, but this is my first time actually adding my own. I've had Crohn's Disease since I was 17, going on 9 years. I've had some difficulties with it, mostly just a few flare ups here and there. I've also had a Fistula and a Spleenectemy. I'm writing to you for help for a few reasons...

1. I absolutely hate being on medication and have spent about 3 of my 9 years with Crohn's controlling it by diet and exercise. It's been working, for the most part. Do any of you try to live with Crohn's without medication? If so, how in the hell do you find a doctor who listens to your request and still helps keep your Crohn's under control? Is there anything specific you do to prevent flare ups from happening?

2. I live in Portland, Oregon and have suffered a few bad doctor visits and am in desperate need of one ASAP. All the doctors I've worked with here are heavy on pushing the big drugs like Cimzia, Humira (both I have taken and become immune to) and all other possible remedies. But when it comes to actually helping my pain levels, they for some reason tell me to use over the counter drugs like Tylenol, until the pain gets to be unbearable and then I should call. Yet, when I tell them it's unbearable they ask why I'm not in the ER. It seems to me that the doctor's I've found dislike actually serving and helping their patients, and use the Emergency Room as a scape goat.

Sorry-long rant over. I'm wondering if anyone in the same area has a good doctor to recommend for me? I am really struggling here, and need to find a trustworthy and caring doctor.

Thank you for listening and reading my long venting/question session, I hope to find some ease with this site, as my family and I have pretty much been alone in this for quite some time. <3

Since Crohn's disease is a chronic illness most GIs don't like to prescribe pain meds instead they seek to get the inflammation under control which in turn gets rid of the pain.

There is a Diet section on the forum you may want to browse and get others' experiences. You'll find members that use a variety of different diets alone and in conjunction with their med regimen.

Also, there is a tab across the top labeled doctor directory. It's a directory built by the members so someone in your area may have listed a doctor near you along with their review.

Hope you find remission soon.

If you are experiencing unbearable pain then your Crohn's is not under control with your current system. A good doctor's priority would be to get your Crohn's under control, which in turn will remove the pain rather than prescribe you addictive pain relief that does nothing other than mask the problem. Crohn's that is not being controlled can lead to blockages, perforations, surgery and cancer.

If you are experiencing unbearable pain then your Crohn's is not under control with your current system. A good doctor's priority would be to get your Crohn's under control, which in turn will remove the pain rather than prescribe you addictive pain relief that does nothing other than mask the problem. Crohn's that is not being controlled can lead to blockages, perforations, surgery and cancer.
Agree