• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Effexor XR = constipation

Hi All.

Quick question for everyone

My family doctor has changed my anti-depressants from Paxil 15mg to Effexor XR 37.5mg. He said that over the years Effexor has proven to do well for patients with tummy issues and also said that this new one is less than paxil.

So it has been 2 days since, only thing I've noticed so far is a headache - which he said was normal from the switch, I also have a bit more energy on day 2. These are all good things -but I now have constipation. This is really strange I have been having a hard time going. Now I need to decide if the constipation is good or bad.

Anyone else has tried Effexor and had similar experiences

I've not taken Effexor but when I started on a different antidepressant medication it caused extreme constipation - I'd never been constipated in my life before. I always though it would be preferable, after years and years of diarrhoea. I soon found I could stop all me anti-diarrhoea meds. But the constipation was actually worse - it was incredibly painful, and I would be in pain for hours. Somehow I began to think diarrhoea was easier, at least I was familiar with dealing with it. Not have to rush to the loo was still a benefit though. Now I take the antidepressant along with stool softeners, but getting the balance right is still difficult, as my digestive system seems to move at different speeds on different days.

I do wonder though why for years my doctors were telling me there were no other effective anti-diarrhoea meds to try, when I could have been taking the antidepressant all along.

Thanks guys.

I have an apt with my GI on Thursday and My family doctor also on Thursday. Same building separate floors lol.

Anyway mental wise I feel great, Some pain is still there but only on the right side from where the crohns is located but as for the diarrhea it is non existent. I did have a BM today but had to eat a bit of fibre and drink lots of water. Something I could not do before.

Interested in knowing what the doctor will say about this

Honey

Staff member
Hi there,
Glad to hear you are feeling brighter. I hope all goes well for you on Thursday. Best wishes.

I took Effexor and it didn't constipate me but I have to say with all the drugs I have ever taken, this one scared me. All I ever did was sleep and when I tried to get off of it, there was significant withdrawals. Sorry, off subject but I had no constipation

Hi All.

Quick question for everyone

My family doctor has changed my anti-depressants from Paxil 15mg to Effexor XR 37.5mg. He said that over the years Effexor has proven to do well for patients with tummy issues and also said that this new one is less than paxil.

So it has been 2 days since, only thing I've noticed so far is a headache - which he said was normal from the switch, I also have a bit more energy on day 2. These are all good things -but I now have constipation. This is really strange I have been having a hard time going. Now I need to decide if the constipation is good or bad.

Anyone else has tried Effexor and had similar experiences
I was on Effexor xl for months. It made me sweat alot, no constipation and made me gain weight so I tapered off. Had terrible withdrawal and Dr. put me on a new one called Celexa. Hopefully it will workout better.

Hi All

@ 723crossroads.

My doctor told me that celexa was one to cause Diarrhea,, I had asked about that one when he suggested we try Effexor.

@Honey

Yes I am anxious to hear what they say about the constipation. I am going to try to add Metamucil to my diet tomorrow to see if it will help. Appparently Snri's can cause constipation. I will say this much it is definitely a change of pace for me

@ Superzeeman

Wow sleep, that would be nice, I think the only thing I other constipation and the headaches that finally disappeared on day 3, I stupid insomnia. Mine you I am tired about an hour after taking it but than its wide awake I tend to wake in the middle of the night and than im up for a while.

Has anyone tried Cymbalta , this is another SNR. I know there is a TCA called Elavil but my doctor is weary of trying that one because it is an older drug and has a lot of side effects. Any thoughts.

Hi All

@ 723crossroads.

My doctor told me that celexa was one to cause Diarrhea,, I had asked about that one when he suggested we try Effexor.

@Honey

Yes I am anxious to hear what they say about the constipation. I am going to try to add Metamucil to my diet tomorrow to see if it will help. Appparently Snri's can cause constipation. I will say this much it is definitely a change of pace for me

@ Superzeeman

Wow sleep, that would be nice, I think the only thing I other constipation and the headaches that finally disappeared on day 3, I stupid insomnia. Mine you I am tired about an hour after taking it but than its wide awake I tend to wake in the middle of the night and than im up for a while.

Has anyone tried Cymbalta , this is another SNR. I know there is a TCA called Elavil but my doctor is weary of trying that one because it is an older drug and has a lot of side effects. Any thoughts.
I take Elavil - well actually it's called amitriptyline here, I think Elavil is the US brand name. As I said in the post above, it does cause constipation, but I can remedy this with stool softeners/laxatives. I feel like a different person on it, and I sleep so well, even when I'm in pain or needing the loo every 5 minutes, on amitriptyline I'm not so knocked out that I can't wake up, so I don't have to worry about sleeping through accidents, I get up if I need the loo, but the moment I get back to bed again I'm asleep, no matter how uncomfortable I am.

It does have a very long list of potential side effects but it's worked better for me than anything else.

I did have to adjust the dose for a while until I found the best amount, and it did take a few weeks before the effects on my emotions and thinking began gradually kicking in. It cured my insomnia as soon as I started taking it. I don't feel numb or emotionless on it - not at all. I still feel and react appropriately to things that make me happy or sad or angry or whatever, but I can experience these feelings whilst remaining very calm, and it seems like I have much more insight into feelings now. I'm not explaining it very well, and I think the massive success I've had with it might be the exception rather than the rule, but it certainly has the potential to treat your depression and/or anxiety if you're lucky enough to find it works for you.

Thanx Unxmas,
So far the celexa hasn't caused Diarrhea. Only a headache that comes and goes??? I guess because i'm not used to it. I don't notice any difference except some of the extreme tiredness is going away. I was exhausted before and still think it was withdrawal from coming off the effexor XL. It was like having the flu. Only I did taper too???Just be aware that trying to come off any of these is very difficult and painfully slow!
My friend is on cymbalta for pain and depression and she said it makes her feel weird. She sweats alot from it, but they all make me sweat! It also makes her shake bad. Good luck!:ghug:

Hi 723crossroads.

I do agree with you with the headache part. I never had headaches with paxil but from what I've read it says that the first week or so of Effexor can give headaches and nausea, I did have nausea the first day or two but that did leave me.
This morning I did try something different. I usually take my entocort 9mg at 7am, but this morning I waited till about Noon and I actually had 2 BM's but I had some pain as well.. So I am thinking that the two in combination are giving me really bad constipation. I know my Gi was thinking of keeping me on 6mg of entocort as a maintenance drug, so maybe with the two combination I might have found my cocktail of medications.

I'm so hoping.

Daunting,
That's a good idea, waiting, maybe I should wait and see if i get a headache. Then take it at noon after I eat. I do get a little nauseated too I noticed. But I always did anyway so, thought it was just the IBD.
I hope your new formula keeps working out for you!:ghug:

Hi All.

My journey with Effexor may be coming to an end. Last night I was extremely nauseated and had such a headache. I called our local pharmacy and was told that this could last for about a month. Whoof don't know about this.
And than this morning, woke up with a strong upset stomach, with bloating.

Not sure what to do at this point, will continue till Thursday, need to see my doctor about it. I wonder what is next.

Today is my Sixth day on Effexor and I am still having some way wicked side effects, my first few days were not as bad as what I have been experiencing these past Two days.
Unfortunately it looks like I will be asking to switch back to Paxil and than after I get back to being stabilized on it I may ask to try Elavil.

Only thing, I will miss is having some type of harder stools. I actually don't run to the loo with urgency in the morning, but I have not been able to have a complete nights sleep since I've started it and I feel sick to my stomach with some heavy headaches.

Not sure what the doctor will say.

Effexor has some issues. You will be glad that you stopped if that is what you decide to do cuz quitting it in 6 months is a real pain in the %*&. I used to get what felt like someone electrocuting my brain in random zaps when I was trying to quit. My doctors kept telling me that there we no withdrawals from this drug but they are so wrong. Just Google Effexor side effects. I hope the best for you. I too wish I had firm stools but since the surgery, I don't expect it anytime ever.

I am so sorry you had such a hard time coming off of Effexor. That was my concern as well, if the medication isn't helping me by now its not worth it, and I may have more problems in the long run trying to get off of it. I am even having abdominal pains during the hours that before I did not, like in the evening. I had less pain with Lomotil and Paxil, even though I hated the diarrhea and will absolutely again hate it.

Update

My family doctor wants me to wait at least one more week before stopping the Effexor. He thinks that the side effects that I am experiencing should fade away and if not he wants to try me on Cymbalta - never heard of that one before. I really hope these stupid headaches go away soon.

Hello all! :sign0085:

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in July, and it's been a hard adjustment for me and my family - something I'm sure you all can relate to. I have been seeing a therapist who recommended I talk to my primary care doc about an antidepressant. She recommended Effexor. It seems like there are a lot of folks who warn against its side effects. I have never been on a mood altering drug before, and was just looking for some guidance. Is there a "softer" one out there I might be able to try first? But if everyone has had good luck with this, then it might be worth a shot. I am just looking for something that works. Thanks for the support!