• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gallbladder

Are there specific tests my doctor can run to tell if my gallbladder is functioning properly?
They did an ultrasound and a CT scan on me before emergency gallbladder removal.
Upon research it looks like they can do a HIDA scan as well. In this test, a radioactive material called hydroxy iminodiacetic acid (HIDA) is injected into the patient. The radioactive material is taken up by the gallbladder to measure gallbladder emptying function

cmack

Staff member
Hey Ron,

From what I understand you can have a scan done to check for proper function.

A gallbladder scan is a scanning test that checks to see how your gallbladder is working. The scan can find blockage in the tubes (bile ducts) that lead from the liver to the gallbladder and small intestine.

During a gallbladder scan, a radioactive tracer substance is put into a vein in the arm. The liver removes the tracer from the blood and adds it to the bile that normally flows through the bile ducts to the gallbladder. The gallbladder then releases the tracer into the first part of the small intestine. A special camera takes pictures of the tracer as it moves through the liver, bile ducts, gallbladder, and small intestine.

I know of others who have had this scan with varied results. I'm not sure of other specifics.

They did an ultrasound and a CT scan on me before emergency gallbladder removal.
Upon research it looks like they can do a HIDA scan as well. In this test, a radioactive material called hydroxy iminodiacetic acid (HIDA) is injected into the patient. The radioactive material is taken up by the gallbladder to measure gallbladder emptying function
Thanks

Bufford

I get pain on my RT side and at times I know it is my resection acting up, but other times the pain seems higher up, just under the ribs. On a trip last week where i am eating too much restaurant food, and my days get too long I had some green poop at the end of the caboose so to speak during my last BM of the morning. I didn't feel all that good all day, but the next day I was feeling normal again. These seem to happen when I over extend myself, now that I am back to my regular diet and routine at home I have no symptoms.